News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Practical Pig

(I was at Fry's Electronics a few weeks ago, and I paused in their big drone aisle as a couple of teenagers were ogling over the latest drone models. I was THISCLOSE to trying to bribe them with a few hundred bucks to fly over Star Wars Land for us.)

I'm not sure they could do that, even if they wanted to. I remember reading something anecdotally, maybe here, maybe way earlier in this thread, maybe not, about someone attempting to do that. They apparently discovered that their signal was jammed and their drone wouldn't fly at all. I've nothing but a poor memory of the anecdote, but I think we'd have seen some outlaw drone-vid emerge if it were possible. The only drone aerial footage I've seen was produced and distributed by Disney.

Speaking of drones, does anyone else think we might see them used skinned as scaled-down air/spacecraft flying overhead in Batuu? Not over guests of course, but over the northern bank of enormous show buildings?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not sure they could do that, even if they wanted to. I remember reading something anecdotally, maybe here, maybe way earlier in this thread, maybe not, about someone attempting to do that. They apparently discovered that their signal was jammed and their drone wouldn't fly at all. I've nothing but a poor memory of the anecdote, but I think we'd have seen some outlaw drone-vid emerge if it were possible. The only drone aerial footage I've seen was produced and distributed by Disney.

Speaking of drones, does anyone else think we might see them used skinned as scaled-down air/spacecraft flying overhead in Batuu? Not over guests of course, but over the northern bank of enormous show buildings?

There were some rumors of Disney using anti-drone jamming tech (basically a point and shoot EMP type device) but that was primarily after the drone was spotted. I don't know of any tech that just has the ability to "shield" an entire area from drones. You'd have to block out entire frequency blocks and I don't know if they'd want to do that. Especially since Disney has used drones of their own in the area for everything from security (rumored) to aerial pictures to being used in shows. And they sell those Star Wars mini drones (or did at one point) over in TL with some CMs using them to show them off. It is however I believe a felony to fly a drone into some no-fly zones like Washington DC and Disneyland.

And yes I think they will use drones in Batuu. And in future nighttime entertainment.

Practical Pig

There were some rumors of Disney using anti-drone jamming tech (basically a point and shoot EMP type device) but that was primarily after the drone was spotted. I don't know of any tech that just has the ability to "shield" an entire area from drones. You'd have to block out entire frequency blocks and I don't know if they'd want to do that. Especially since Disney has used drones of their own in the area for everything from security (rumored) to aerial pictures to being used in shows. And they sell those Star Wars mini drones (or did at one point) over in TL with some CMs using them to show them off. It is however I believe a felony to fly a drone into some no-fly zones like Washington DC and Disneyland.

And yes I think they will use drones in Batuu. And in future nighttime entertainment.

My remembered anecdote wasn't discussing a rumor of signal-jamming. It was reporting a personal experience with a failure to launch. But who knows? I wasn't there, and I'm not going to dig for the source.

I am about as far away from an expert on this tech as is possible. But I do know that any radio signal can be jammed. I don't know why they wouldn't want to block the involved frequencies from abuse in their airspace. It would be a quick click to disarm the jammer when they want to fly drones for their own purposes.

I don't know what you're referring to about the Star Wars mini drones in Tomorrowland. They're outside of my experience. Were they radio controlled? If so, have they been offered since SW:GE started construction?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My remembered anecdote wasn't discussing a rumor of signal-jamming. It was reporting a personal experience with a failure to launch. But who knows? I wasn't there, and I'm not going to dig for the source.

I am about as far away from an expert on this tech as is possible. But I do know that any radio signal can be jammed. I don't know why they wouldn't want to block the involved frequencies from abuse in their airspace. It would be a quick click to disarm the jammer when they want to fly drones for their own purposes.

I don't know what you're referring to about the Star Wars mini drones in Tomorrowland. They're outside of my experience. Were they radio controlled? If so, have they been offered since SW:GE started construction?

Sorry if you misunderstood. I'm not saying its not possible to jam a radio signal. I'm saying that such a large area that is the DLR would require so many signal jammers that it likely isn't worth it. Plus would likely also jam or cause interference with other radio signals in the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz ranges that the drones use such as mobile devices, wireless devices, microwaves, cordless phones, bluetooth, car alarms, CCTV (which Disney likely uses for security), etc. But I have no inside knowledge so maybe they do use specialized military grade jammers, but I'm not willing to find out.

Last time I checked, which was in December, they were selling ones similar to this in Tomorrowland, and yes they are radio controlled. It a quad-copter.

maxresdefault.jpg

Practical Pig

Sorry if you misunderstood. I'm not saying its not possible to jam a radio signal. I'm saying that such a large area that is the DLR would require so many signal jammers that it likely isn't worth it. Plus would likely also jam or cause interference with other radio signals in the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz ranges that the drones use such as mobile devices, wireless devices, microwaves, cordless phones, bluetooth, car alarms, CCTV (which Disney likely uses for security), etc. But I have no inside knowledge so maybe they do use specialized military grade jammers, but I'm not willing to find out.

Last time I checked, which was in December, they were selling ones similar to this in Tomorrowland, and yes they are radio controlled. It a quad-copter.

maxresdefault.jpg

And I'm sorry if you misunderstood. ;)

I'm recalling a blog report of apparent signal interference preventing an attempted drone flight over a specific limited-area construction zone within the resort. I'm not suggesting the DLR resort would be entirely jammed, or from any personal perspective, jammed at all. That is not a hill I need to defend.

My original reply was a casual remembrance of a blog post that I think was linked here, relevant to @TP2000's longing for guerrilla drone vids of SW:GE. I have no investment beyond that. Respond or not as you feel you need, but ..

Pig out. :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And I'm sorry if you misunderstood. ;)

I'm recalling a blog report of apparent signal interference preventing an attempted drone flight over a specific limited-area construction zone within the resort. I'm not suggesting the DLR resort would be entirely jammed, or from any personal perspective, jammed at all. That is not a hill I need to defend.

My original reply was a casual remembrance of a blog post that I think was linked here, relevant to @TP2000's longing for guerrilla drone vids of SW:GE. I have no investment beyond that. Respond or not as you feel you need, but ..

Pig out. :)

I'm not willing to defend it more than I have. As I said I have no inside knowledge of what Disney is doing, so can't say for sure if DL is attempting some jamming or not. Just knowing the tech though overall its not as easy as it sounds which is why I commented in the first place.

Anyways I think we've come to the end of this discussion.

dweezil78

There were some rumors of Disney using anti-drone jamming tech (basically a point and shoot EMP type device) but that was primarily after the drone was spotted. I don't know of any tech that just has the ability to "shield" an entire area from drones. You'd have to block out entire frequency blocks and I don't know if they'd want to do that.

I know this sounds totally crazy... But I have now had this happen to me a dozen or so times with different cars. When driving on Forest Lawn going past the Disney studios in Burbank, I have had my bluetooth audio get totally jammed and not only stop working while driving past -- but proceed to be all fried for the duration of my drive and sometimes longer. If I can even get it working again after passing, it is all messed up with lots of crackles and pops. I don't have any clue if it is coming from Disney -- there are other studios right there as well (Universal and WB) along with a ton of various wires/utility poles and other things that may cause it. Just pointing out that it has happened... it's really bizarre.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know this sounds totally crazy... But I have now had this happen to me a dozen or so times with different cars. When driving on Forest Lawn going past the Disney studios in Burbank, I have had my bluetooth audio get totally jammed and not only stop working while driving past -- but proceed to be all fried for the duration of my drive and sometimes longer. If I can even get it working again after passing, it is all messed up with lots of crackles and pops. I don't have any clue if it is coming from Disney -- there are other studios right there as well (Universal and WB) along with a ton of various wires/utility poles and other things that may cause it. Just pointing out that it has happened... it's really bizarre.

Yeah there is a lot of EM interference out there. So it’s possible it came from anywhere. I’ve used to have my mobile interfered with by some non-shielded speakers before I replaced them.

NobodyElse

Relative information. DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map

1533223119754.png

"DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major stadium events, forest fires, or other emergency situations. Certain GEO zones don’t prohibit flight, but do trigger warnings that inform users of potential risks.

By default, GEO limits flights into or taking off within zones that raise safety or security concerns. If a flight within one of these locations has been authorized, GEO allows users with verified DJI accounts to temporarily unlock or self-authorize their flights. This unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations.

The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you."

And in case you wanted to know what the FAA has to say about the subject, you can start HERE.

mickEblu

Interesting. I just remembered that my calls would always drop when I drove the 134 past the studios/ Forrest Lawn. Nothing to do with Bluetooth but still weird.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Relative information. DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map

View attachment 300115

"DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major stadium events, forest fires, or other emergency situations. Certain GEO zones don’t prohibit flight, but do trigger warnings that inform users of potential risks.

By default, GEO limits flights into or taking off within zones that raise safety or security concerns. If a flight within one of these locations has been authorized, GEO allows users with verified DJI accounts to temporarily unlock or self-authorize their flights. This unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations.

The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you."

And in case you wanted to know what the FAA has to say about the subject, you can start HERE.

Yep, look at that big restricted zone around the Resort District.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That vista is gorgeous! I remember how crazy it looked from big thunder when it was all cleared out, I thought “that’s it, the depth is gone” but that shot really shows me that it retains the depth and breadth it had before from the wall of trees.

It'll take a good year for the trees they planted to take hold and grow out. But by next summer this view is going to look like a mountain range behind Big Thunder, you can start to see it now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom