Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

rle4lunch

In my day (insert shaky old man voice), urban exploring private property was called trespassing...

The weirdo grey area that society *thinks* they're living in, in where people can justify all their stupid behavior as their *right* (as long as EVERYONE ELSE also thinks the same way, no dissenting, otherwise I'll go on twitter and complain about something you did 27 1/2 years ago in a private party when you were drunk that I used to agree with but think is audacious now!), is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. We're living in some stupid times... We've got it so damned good (really, think about it, we do), that people make up things to be unhappy with, just so they're precious "voice" can be heard. In reality, it's actually their narcissistic selves feeding off of the most trivial things that they have somehow deemed relevant to everyone else's worldview, even though the other 95% of society could give two craps about.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what the new IP will be for Star Tours. I think it's a pretty great ride system, especially with the upgrades they've made to the random story lines you get.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm not disputing that.

I am disputing the analogy of someone "exploring" a house that people actively live in as being urbex. That is NOT urbex. It is dishonest to equate that with urbex. I think that even Disney understands the difference between someone darting behind some curtains to get into the old Body Wars queue, and someone accessing a hotel room whose door hadn't been fully shut.

C'mon folks. Details, circumstances, and intent matter in determining the gravity and seriousness of a situation.
Clearly, "urbex" is your euphemism for trespassing.

And either one of your examples (entering a closed building or someone else's hotel room) will get you trespassed from Disney property.

gustaftp

And either one of your examples (entering a closed building or someone else's hotel room) will get you trespassed from Disney property.
Clearly, strawman arguments are your MO since you refuse to look at what a court would look at.

You might also want to read my posts more carefully before repeating back to me portions of what I already said. Slaps from Ellen AND Alex for you!

I don't think any cop would accept either excuse.
Do you honestly think police would charge them the same way?

It appears that you are unfamiliar with property law / when something is breaking and entering, and when it is not.

Last edited:

Bender123

Generally, Urb Ex is something you do in abandoned buildings...think a closed down mall, abandoned hotel, out of business road side restaurant. Generally, they are in a state of decay and not actively "owned" in business sense...think something that's owned by a bank/city due to a foreclosure. Most of the time, if you are caught by the police, they just warn you about safety and tell you not to come back, because its dangerous. Ive been caught a few times and the police always know what is up...they see a group with cameras and they know that there isnt anything going on. There isn't an "owner" that would press charges or even actively secure their property.

In the situation of Disney, "abandoned" is no the same as it is for most other places. A building like WoL is definitely not "abandoned" in this way. Disney Quest was abandoned, but it was also an active construction site. As a person that really enjoys Urb-Ex, I would never consider any site at Disney as "abandoned". Its an actively used area, they have enforced rules of access and its also actively secured.

There is a huge difference between going into a factory that has had all the machinery removed and left to rot vs an area which is just "unused".

The biggest part of exploring is to know what is and isn't safe/legal...Mtthew definitely was not following this train of thought.

Missing20K

Because the legacy of his stupidity still exists within the company today. People got in trouble. He caused a lot of hassle for a lot of people.

With respect, people should have got in trouble for this. The lack of security in his video was quite astounding. I would think the "suits" all said the same thing..."Imagine if he was someone looking to do harm and not just a dumb kid."

Just as their were consequences for the idiot who did this, there must be consequences for those in charge of security lacking in their oversight. I would hope they have since taken greater precautions to prevent backstage areas being accessed by guests.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'm not sure, but, are you thinking that they will move the simulators to Epcot? Or just putting Body Wars in the place of Star Tours? Why? What would it connect with. If they moved the stuff from DHS what would they do with the Star Tours building?
Paint the building to look like the Death Star, move Star Tours into the building. Bulldoze the ST area at DHS and expand Muppets / match up the area with Grand Ave.
I know they will just use ST with another IP like IJ. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With respect, people should have got in trouble for this. The lack of security in his video was quite astounding. I would think the "suits" all said the same thing..."Imagine if he was someone looking to do harm and not just a dumb kid."

Just as their were consequences for the idiot who did this, there must be consequences for those in charge of security lacking in their oversight. I would hope they have since taken greater precautions to prevent backstage areas being accessed by guests.
They did, there were and they have.

smile

agreed... but, more like, "thank goodness they didn't hurt themselves!"
- that's numero uno for a multitude of reasons, and is why these incidents need to be taken seriously.

if there's a bright side to these meanderings, it's that they expose breach points, much like a professional cracker/hacker would... a direct analogy, of course

DreamfinderGuy

Possible new lead on the Wonders mystery.
Screenshot (78).png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
View attachment 299698

We've heard reports of stuff being removed carefully for preservation (or resale). This goes to what @marni1971 has been saying about WoL eventually used for something other than a festival site.

I hope the people posting this don't think that the old ride is going to be refurbished and brought back.

Bender123

We've heard reports of stuff being removed carefully for preservation (or resale). This goes to what @marni1971 has been saying about WoL eventually used for something other than a festival site.

I hope the people posting this don't think that the old ride is going to be refurbished and brought back.

Its also possible that old circuitry being removed could be taken to design new boards to replace the 30+ year old circuits in there...Its not as likely as straight removal, but I wouldn't think they would bother carefully removing boards that don't have some sort of use and I doubt the archives would really care about ANOTHER MAPO board.

Its entirely likely that any update to the attraction or refit would almost certainly require new screens, lighting, IT infrastructure, etc...Te video and audio control systems in that place would be ancient and extremely low quality compared to just about anything in the past 20 years...

Oddysey

Also add the liability aspect to the issue. Anybody could go back there and get "injured."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
View attachment 299698
As a tech person, a board like that would be awesome to have. I couldn't do anything with it but it would be an awesome piece to have.

To be honest anything electronic of value was removed years ago. If it still worked or wasn’t totally obselete it was taken.

Show control, A/V, anything. Most went a while ago, and the odd bits that remained have gone since then.

Fun fact. Wonders was the first pavilion not to be tied directly into central. Even the laserdiscs that were local went...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom