Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

gustaftp

If “urban exploration” is a euphemism for “trespassing”, then yeah, we get it. Do you?
Given the post I quoted specifically stated "breaking into a basement" of an active residence and the subsequent strawman post -- it appears that NO, many you do not understand what urban exploring actually is.

There is a chasm of legal difference between trespass and breaking and entering. Subsequently, there is a difference between entering with the intent to commit a crime, and entering with the intent to ... take photos. And to be intellectually honest, we also have to draw a distinction between active residential property and semi-public commercial property. Real urbexers would never dream of breaking into someone's house, because that is not what urbex is. It's about documenting abandoned and decaying places.

Frankly, Matt faced the consequences for what he did. Losing Disney access is not a risk I want to take. Why anyone outside of the Disney Company continues to make a stink over this is beyond me. It was done over a year ago, and the consequences were doled out. Case closed. The question is: why do you care so much?

Last edited:

Kman101

Body Wats has looked like that for years. I also believe there was recently a cast member party held in Wonders so it’s obviously not a construction zone and if there was true imagineering work going on inside to fix the interior they wouldn’t have allowed a cast party in there.

Something could still be "in the works" without construction starting immediately. Disney moves at a glacial pace. What if nothing new doesn't open until, like, 2027? Doesn't mean things aren't in a different stage of development. At least that's how it sounds and seems to be coming across. Time will tell if we get anything though. I have a hard time trusting them to truly follow through, LOL!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is a chasm of legal difference between trespass and breaking and entering. Subsequently, there is a difference between entering with the intent to commit a crime, and entering with the intent to ... take photos.

And in my example, it was to just take photos. And the the 'breaking' in 'breaking and entering' is an important detail to trespassing.

So, let me rephrase: I hope everyone who doesn't have a problem with this illegal trespass finds that someone found their door open and without breaking, entered their house without permission to take pictures of their basement and post them online.

The question is: why do you care so much?

I hate it when they get all drama and claim it's you that care too much.

gustaftp

And in my example, it was to just take photos. And the the 'breaking' in 'breaking and entering' is an important detail to trespassing.

So, let me rephrase: I hope everyone who doesn't have a problem with this illegal trespass finds that someone found their door open and without breaking, entered their house without permission to take pictures of their basement and post them online.

The Wonders pavilion is not a home that people live in. It is a publicly accessible space which has been semi-abandoned. That fact cannot be over-looked. Judges would rule differently on a home than on a public mall-like building, because the nature of the incidents are entirely different.

Hence, everything about your analogy is false.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The Wonders pavilion is not a home that people live in. It is a publicly accessible space which has been semi-abandoned.

Hence, everything about your analogy is false.
I have a feeling that Disney would see the pavilion's status as ANYTHING but "semi-abandoned."

And it's private property on a huge swath of private property. Entering it unbidden constitutes trespassing.

And I have another feeling that the Orange County Sheriff's Office would agree with them.

gustaftp

I have a feeling that Disney would see the pavilion's status as ANYTHING but "semi-abandoned."

And it's private property on a huge swath of private property. Entering it unbidden constitutes trespassing.

And I have another feeling that the Orange County Sheriff's Office would agree with them.
I'm not disputing that.

I am disputing the analogy of someone "exploring" a house that people actively live in as being urbex. That is NOT urbex. It is dishonest to equate that with urbex. I think that even Disney understands the difference between someone darting behind some curtains to get into the old Body Wars queue, and someone accessing a hotel room whose door hadn't been fully shut.

C'mon folks. Details, circumstances, and intent matter in determining the gravity and seriousness of a situation.

Oddysey

He was also banned from WDW property and subsequently arrested. I wouldn't recommend trying to copy what he did.

Who said anything about copying him? I can plainly see that the risk/reward ratio is not in my favor. Wasn't advocating it, just putting it out there provide a time stamp for when Buzzy was seen.

Oddysey

I'm not disputing that.

I am disputing the analogy of someone "exploring" a house that people actively live in as being urbex. That is NOT urbex. It is dishonest to equate that with urbex. I think that even Disney understands the difference between someone darting behind some curtains to get into the old Body Wars queue, and someone accessing a hotel room whose door hadn't been fully shut.

C'mon folks. Details, circumstances, and intent matter in determining the gravity and seriousness of a situation.

Agreed. The residential basement analogy is a false equivalency. Doesn't mean you or I advocate or would do what that young man did, but breaking into the basement of a private residence and trespassing through a curtain to view a retired Disney attraction are 2 different things.

AGAIN...not advocating it.

On a side note, why would he video himself before the walk-through? Not the brightest bulb perhaps.

gustaftp

"Being urbex" does not excuse criminal activity.

You're delusional if you think that a business has less property rights than an individual.

It's delusional to think that all property crime is the exact same -- especially if you look at how the laws are structured. It all hinges upon intent. Questions such as if the place was occupied or not, was a residence or business, evidence of intent to commit a crime, and extenuating circumstances would certainly all be taken into account if it reached the court system.

Sneaking into the Body Wars queue and hopping the stage at Cranium is akin to walking down a dead mall's service hallway and entering a vacant store without permission. IF someone was caught and arrested doing that, it would be charged as a civil or misdemeanor trespass (depending on state) because of the lack of intent on property which they technically were guests (until Disney revoked that permission due to breaking the rules).

The house situation you described would be charged and tried as felony burglary in a court of law because of the nature and severity of the crime. Since one wasn't a guest and entered the property AND dwelling without permission -- then, that becomes breaking and entering, which always is coupled with another charge, usually burglary. This is because there is clear intent to commit a crime.

Thus, a misdemeanor trespass is not as severe as a felony burglary. You are arguing two entirely different levels of crime and trying to equate them. Please stop.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's delusional to think that all property crime is the exact same -- especially if you look at how the laws are structured. It all hinges upon intent. Questions such as if the place was occupied or not, was a residence or business, evidence of intent to commit a crime, and extenuating circumstances would certainly all be taken into account if it reached the court system.

Sneaking into the Body Wars queue and hopping the stage at Cranium is akin to walking down a dead mall's service hallway and entering a vacant store without permission. IF someone was caught and arrested doing that, it would be charged as a civil or misdemeanor trespass (depending on state) because of the lack of intent on property which they technically were guests (until Disney revoked that permission due to breaking the rules).

The house situation you described would be charged and tried as felony burglary in a court of law because of the nature and severity of the crime. Since one wasn't a guest and entered the property AND dwelling without permission -- then, that becomes breaking and entering, which always is coupled with another charge, usually burglary. This is because there is clear intent to commit a crime.

Thus, a misdemeanor trespass is not as severe as a felony burglary. You are arguing two entirely different levels of crime and trying to equate them. Please stop.
Compare "I just wanted to take pictures of your closed ride" to "I just wanted to take pictures of your 8-year-old daughter."

I don't think any cop would accept either excuse.

deWild

I love learning about laws but this thread has become monotonous.

When Fox and Disney merge will they have more leverage to gain theme park rights from Universal? Ant-Man is perfect for the Wonders pavilion.

Princess Leia

I love learning about laws but this thread has become monotonous.

When Fox and Disney merge will they have more leverage to gain theme park rights from Universal? Ant-Man is perfect for the Wonders pavilion.
Probably not. Ant-Man & the Wasp were founding members of the Avengers, and anyone belonging to the Avengers family (in 1998, I think it might be defined, since Strange was in DHS) can’t be used.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Frankly, Matt faced the consequences for what he did. Losing Disney access is not a risk I want to take. Why anyone outside of the Disney Company continues to make a stink over this is beyond me. It was done over a year ago, and the consequences were doled out. Case closed. The question is: why do you care so much?
Because the legacy of his stupidity still exists within the company today. People got in trouble. He caused a lot of hassle for a lot of people.

Goofyernmost

BUT!!! When SWGE opens, there is a plan to replace eventualy STARTOURS, So maybee, if the entire ride change and we are not talking of a overlay, then there may be Body Wars left!
I'm not sure, but, are you thinking that they will move the simulators to Epcot? Or just putting Body Wars in the place of Star Tours? Why? What would it connect with. If they moved the stuff from DHS what would they do with the Star Tours building?

yensidtlaw1969

The plan is for a new IP for the Star Tours ride system. Assuming it’s economically viable.

Not to move it.
I know it's not happening, but a while back someone suggested Pigs in Space and I'll just never be able to shake that from my head. What a joy that would be. Put Piggy in the cockpit and let her gun it . . . *sigh* . . . I'm sure it will in reality be an IP much more suited to contemporary guest tastes.

Whatever it DOES end up being, I have to assume it will be somewhat stand-alone, being wedged between Muppets and Indy? Even if there's interest in expanding Indy's presence I don't picture that would take over Star Tours, so this IP would likely be something without other relatives in the park . . . ?

I'm perhaps even more curious to see what happens to Disneyland's Star Tours, since their Tomorrowland is looong overdue for an overhaul and Star Tours takes up prime real estate. Is the expectation that theirs has its days numbered as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom