News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
Of course it isn't.

Failure to provide REASONABLE accommodation that doesn’t fundamentally alter the business is required. Selling alternatives would very much be challenged.

If Disney kept straws, and simply charged for them.... would be challeneged in the first month. Gauruntee

flynnibus

Premium Member
And that's the thing that makes the outrage and fear over losing plastic straws amongst those that use them unwarranted. Since Disney can't and won't ask about disabilities they will simply hand out plastic straws to anyone who asks. Everyone will eventually figure this out and know they need to just ask if they want them.

Would everyone? No... so again... usage is reduced.

The idea that “if it’s not 100%, then it’s meaningless” is pure fiction

s8film40

The mass of the bag isn’t really the big problem... we have methods for the non degradable stuff. It’s that the extra bags represent more opportunities for bags not to be processed correctly. And over the long haul... the number of bags given out when they are worthless... will always be exaggerated verse if they are treated as valuable.

Even if it doesn’t reduce amount of plastic... it reduces waste and potential for abuse.

A refillable water bottle takes more plastic than a single use one... we don’t consider that wasteful.
I think the difference between a refillable water bottle and a reusable bag is that unlike the bags the bottles aren't forced on the consumers. For the most part most people using refillable water bottles went out and chose to do so. So most people buying refillable water bottles are indeed going to reuse them. When you get to the checkout at a grocery store and your presented with the option of just carrying your stuff or buying a $.10 "reusable" bag, a lot of consumer will grumble and just suck it up and spend the money even if they have no plans to reuse the bag. When you do these kind of blanket approaches that's where the problems creep up. Personally I like the more creative options especially when the consumer is given options as opposed to just blindly implementing a new program. Aldi for example charges for reusable bags, but they also offer used boxes that would've otherwise been thrown away. There are a lot of easy things Disney could do with hardly any effort at all. How about they offer to refill any bottle you may have with the drink of your choice instead of a brand new cup every time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree that it's not silly, but I also see what @s8film40 is saying about how it's not the most impactful policy. Given that most QS meals are actually eaten on-premise, it would be really great if they could shift to using reusable tableware and flatware. Then they could do the same as Ikea with busing whole trays. This would enable them to compost more easily as well since they wouldn't have to separate it out of the waste stream.

I'd view it as a real plus not only for environmental reasons, but because I hate eating on or with plastic. Meals served on real tableware is just much more pleasant to me.

One solution requires installing new cleaning equipment in places that are already full... the other simply requires a change in policy. Can we agree the two are not equally easy to apply? And that it is not necessary to be THE MOST EFFECTIVE... to bother to make a change?

s8film40

Would everyone? No... so again... usage is reduced.

The idea that “if it’s not 100%, then it’s meaningless” is pure fiction
Again it's not meaningless, just very close to meaningless. I just think everyone should look at the big picture and often these little things make people feel like they are doing more than they really are and create a distraction from meaningful changes.

BlakeW39

I don't think doing it is going to help the environment too much, but the principle upon which it is done is going to change the culture - and for preserving the planet, that us what we need. A better culture and knowledge of it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the difference between a refillable water bottle and a reusable bag is that unlike the bags the bottles aren't forced on the consumers.

So it’s not really about how much impact it has... it’s your personal issues with the motivations, etc. noted... so you can give up on the “it doesn’t make a difference” dodging.

How about they offer to refill any bottle you may have with the drink of your choice instead of a brand new cup every time.

Health codes.... speed.... available facilities

Lensman

That is exactly my point it is the current PC thing to do so companie are jumping on the bandwagon until the next PC thing comes about. I wonder
By "political stunt", do you really mean a publicity stunt or public relations stunt?

I take it you feel the same way about RCID's power purchase agreement with Origis Energy for a new 50 megawatt solar farm?

Is there anything that they, or any other company can do that is virtuous? Perhaps not because companies aren't virtuous, people are.

So what are you really saying? That all corporations are evil, or at least amoral? :) I could respect that.

s8film40

So it’s not really about how much impact it has... it’s your personal issues with the motivations, etc. noted... so you can give up on the “it doesn’t make a difference” dodging.
No my point is if the change is forced on the consumer it often doesn't have the desired impact. More thoughtful solutions are more efficient at reducing waste.
Health codes.... speed.... available facilities
Nah, that's not an issue anywhere else. Speed to a certain degree, but isn't the environment worth a few seconds? Or is that really the issue you simply want these small solutions that have hardly any impact so you can feel good, but aren't really willing to make any real changes. Does maybe the no straw thing make you feel better that every time you get a drink you're throwing a cup away?

ninjaprincesst

By "political stunt", do you really mean a publicity stunt or public relations stunt?

I take it you feel the same way about RCID's power purchase agreement with Origis Energy for a new 50 megawatt solar farm?

Is there anything that they, or any other company can do that is virtuous? Perhaps not because companies aren't virtuous, people are.

So what are you really saying? That all corporations are evil, or at least amoral? :) I could respect that.
I in no way think Disney is evil I just think their motive for this is just to jump on the bandwagon of what is politically correct right now, It's kind of like how the ruined the auction scene in POC because they had to be PC because someone is offended.

jaklgreen

I agree that it's not silly, but I also see what @s8film40 is saying about how it's not the most impactful policy. Given that most QS meals are actually eaten on-premise, it would be really great if they could shift to using reusable tableware and flatware. Then they could do the same as Ikea with busing whole trays. This would enable them to compost more easily as well since they wouldn't have to separate it out of the waste stream.

I'd view it as a real plus not only for environmental reasons, but because I hate eating on or with plastic. Meals served on real tableware is just much more pleasant to me.

This sounds very simple but in reality it posses bigger problems then you might think. So they go to all reusable plates and silverware, you now need an industrial dishwasher and staff to handle the load. Maybe the old buildings do not have the space, plumbing, etc to be able to do this. Then there are the different health codes that need to be followed with where they can put the dishwasher and clean dishes. It might be possible in some of the locations but I doubt all of them. They would need to keep on top of the bussing so there is not food left out in the open for the bugs and birds so they will need more staff. It probably is cheaper for them to use the disposable plates. I work in food and we get quite a few people that will order their food to go and then sit down and eat it there. IDK why all of them do it but some say they don't like to eat off of restaurant plates because it "grosses them out". Which of course is silly since we prepped the food there.

Lensman

And no I will never use the community toiletries in the room that is just nasty
You sleep in their bed... walk barefoot on their carpet.... bath in their shower.... and you are freaked out by a bulk dispenser?? Your priorities are wack
Now now, let's not namecall.

BTW, we have a whole thread about the soap and shampoo dispensers:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/bye-bye-mickey-soaps.930654/

And there are plenty of phobic people in that thread, so I have to think that this phobia against using a shampoo pump that has been used by a stranger is more common that you'd think.

It's worth noting that most major hotel chains are going in this direction, even the luxury brands.

s8film40

This sounds very simple but in reality it posses bigger problems then you might think. So they go to all reusable plates and silverware, you now need an industrial dishwasher and staff to handle the load. Maybe the old buildings do not have the space, plumbing, etc to be able to do this. Then there are the different health codes that need to be followed with where they can put the dishwasher and clean dishes. It might be possible in some of the locations but I doubt all of them. They would need to keep on top of the bussing so there is not food left out in the open for the bugs and birds so they will need more staff. It probably is cheaper for them to use the disposable plates. I work in food and we get quite a few people that will order their food to go and then sit down and eat it there. IDK why all of them do it but some say they don't like to eat off of restaurant plates because it "grosses them out". Which of course is silly since we prepped the food there.
If you can dream it you can do it, if you care about it you can make it work. Or you could just go the easy route and do something simple and free like removing straws. You get all the same praise for "saving the environment" and you save a ton of money.

Just imagine the meeting where this is hypothetically being discussed. Someone says "hey we can really help cut down on our waste by using reusable washable dishware". Then another manager say's "okay we'll need to order a new machine and hire another dishwasher employee". Financial person says "okay I'll start running the number to see what it costs". Then someone pipes up "hey have you heard of this new trend of removing straws, it's all over the news, lots of other companies are doing it". Then the executive say's "yeah forget the dish thing we're going with the straw idea".

Lensman

Again it's not meaningless, just very close to meaningless. I just think everyone should look at the big picture and often these little things make people feel like they are doing more than they really are and create a distraction from meaningful changes.
OTOH, it could be as others think where a small good thing that gets disproportionate publicity starts people thinking about the other things that they should be doing - like using fewer napkins or maybe even something substantial.

I in no way think Disney is evil I just think their motive for this is just to jump on the bandwagon of what is politically correct right now, It's kind of like how the ruined the auction scene in POC because they had to be PC because someone is offended.
I tend to want to do the right thing even if people will think that I'm doing so for the wrong reasons. To do otherwise is madness. Are you really saying that people should not engage in small kindnesses because they aren't fundamentally meaningful? That's a harsh world that you would be living in and I don't think you really mean that.

One solution requires installing new cleaning equipment in places that are already full... the other simply requires a change in policy. Can we agree the two are not equally easy to apply? And that it is not necessary to be THE MOST EFFECTIVE... to bother to make a change?
I'm not suggesting that reusable plates as an alternative to getting rid of straws, I was just impressed with the @s8film40's observation about Ikea. Are you two saying that I shouldn't be excited about this additional more ambitious idea? (that seems to be in place in some Disneyland QS locations)

I like the fact that I'm now being bashed by both sides of this "debate".

One last serious note: I think this could fall into the category of the Default Effect where socially positive behavior is encouraged by defaulting to it. So here, the default becomes "no straw" and most people are fine with it because they don't need a straw and were only using one because it was the default choice. It's like how I noticed that even sit-down restaurants were handing out more and more disposable straws - even for water and for my canned soda, which I found odd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom