Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

sedati

Orlando: Fine, that's like, totally OK I guess. I already built part of it, but I guess it won't have a roof now.
Here is the pic from Bioreconstruct that I had posted when I commented that things had progressed far enough that there clearly wasn't going to be a tunnel which Martin contested (area is top left):
1516040066955-png.256590

The only proper tunnel is the one by Muppets. Martin referred to the Toy Story entrance as more of an underpass. Having followed the construction on the west coast, you could see where their smaller tunnels/passages would be placed. There were parallel walls of matching height it was always obvious where the overhangning slab would eventually go. I can see no such alignment in the photo above. After Martin's correction I took the "underpass" comment to mean more of an architectural element that would be added somewhere along this rocky passage, looking more like this:
1532872612588.png

But I see no evidence that anything was built to be one thing, and then altered in the midst of construction.

Last edited:

BrianLo

You suggested this:

"They probably figured that since anyone the rode the slinky coaster had already seen what was just to the south of it, so why bother with the tunnel... "

so I explained the decision was nothing to do with riding Slinky or indeed what’s in Orlando. It was decided in California.

I thought you were actually joking. California has tunnels, two of them there. They also have a (taller) outdoor roller coaster with lift hill views in a very similar area.

So I'm really not following the logic here. You seem to be suggesting the decision in Orlando was guided by Anaheim's needs... but they are doing the opposite of what Anaheim did.

IMDREW

The backstage road crosses the walkway at grade in front of the berm area. Gates either side of the walkway will hide it when not in use.
Sounds really cheap when you think of how they handled an in-park road at Disney Sea (completely unnoticable for park guests)

But it’ll be amazing without it nontheless. Can’t wait to experience just the sheer height of those petrified trees. It should be breathtaking!

Last edited:

britain

I thought you were actually joking. California has tunnels, two of them there. They also have a (taller) outdoor roller coaster with lift hill views in a very similar area.

So I'm really not following the logic here. You seem to be suggesting the decision in Orlando was guided by Anaheim's needs... but they are doing the opposite of what Anaheim did.

Yeah I’m not understanding either.

Were the Anaheim tunnels considered “Frontierland enhancements” and so any budget for an Orlando tunnel was considered an “extra” expense that Anaheim didn’t want to split costs on???

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Anaheim said they didn’t want the tunnel effect in Disneyland, so it was removed from both Anaheim and Orlando.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The tunnel effect has already been built in Disneyland. These are both of the Black Spire village entrances (the Toy Story equivalents). Both are full tunnels with trees planted on top.

View attachment 299200

View attachment 299201
I would assume it’s elsewhere (or would have been). I’ve not been following the CA version closely, just going off what I’m told. I’ll try and get clarification.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I would assume it’s elsewhere (or would have been). I’ve not been following the CA version closely, just going off what I’m told. I’ll try and get clarification.

Hopefully this helps a bit. Definitely looks like this was another custom designed element specific to Orlando.

3D45AA91-FA16-4E28-B051-2F13CF8A45BF.jpeg

nearmap-star-wars-galaxys-edge-disneyland-04182018-6.jpg

I thought your source could have been referring to this... but it's actually present in both sites (in Yellow) and doesn't align correctly with Orlando's entrance vestibule anyways.

star-wars-land-getty.jpg

Perhaps Orlando wanted another equivalent in their wider vestibule and Anaheim said no to that? Still doesn't make any sense as forgoing the tunnelled entrance from Toy Story suggests purposeful alteration that is inconsistent with Anaheim. Which is weird because Imagineerings whole goal was that they love the Pacific Wharf entrance into Carsland and wanted Galaxy's Edge to have more of that.

I'd believe TDO didn't want to pay for it more than Anaheim said no based on available evidence.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hopefully this helps a bit. Definitely looks like this was another custom designed element specific to Orlando.

View attachment 299209

View attachment 299210

I thought your source could have been referring to this... but it's actually present in both sites (in Yellow) and doesn't align correctly with Orlando's entrance vestibule anyways.

View attachment 299213

Perhaps Orlando wanted another equivalent in their wider vestibule and Anaheim said no to that? Still doesn't make any sense as forgoing the tunnelled entrance from Toy Story suggests purposeful alteration that is inconsistent with Anaheim. Which is weird because Imagineerings whole goal was that they love the Pacific Wharf entrance into Carsland and wanted Galaxy's Edge to have more of that.

I'd believe TDO didn't want to pay for it more than Anaheim said no based on available evidence.
It was definitely a rock work "roof" as opposed to a building. It was intact in the Orlando... paperwork. I can only assume Anaheim decided they didn’t need it too due to their railroad underpass already creating the effect.

TP2000

View attachment 299209

View attachment 299210

View attachment 299213

Thank you for all that, it's a great perspective on both projects and how those entry portals will be quite different on each coast!

Honing in on the DHS version, It appears from your work here that this middle entry portal, so often photographed at the D23 Expo mega-model, is the now open-roofed version at DHS that leads directly from Toy Story Land.

Entrance-Star-Wars-Galaxys-Edge-Model-D23-2017-Disneyland-Disney-World.jpg

That entry portal in the model above now seems to line up with this still-unfinished but obviously uncovered entry portal for DHS...
star-wars-galaxys-edge-toy-story-land-entrance-07012018-1.jpg

And that DHS entry is in the same spot/angle/position as this finished but obviously covered entry portal at Disneyland...
maxresdefault.jpg

sedati

The zig-zag approach should still make for a decent reveal. While some planting has happened, there's still a lot more to be added. Looking at a recent bioreconstruct aerial, here's some guess-work:

1532900318666.png

Red is path.
Green is berm/trees.
Blue I believe will be some sort of show element. Could be a ship/speeder. You can see some supports in the middle of that area, and the alcove where the temp water tower seems ideal for something. This area could also sport a few more trees as well.

The little island of green that splits the path is actually in the model from OC Register (sorry, bad quality zoom):
1532900503662.png

I agree with IMDREW above about hiding the service roads, but that's a problem throughout this park.

IMDREW

View attachment 299209

View attachment 299210

View attachment 299213

The green area is where I thought they would create the entrance for the SW hotel guests. But now I see they already built that berm there so it's definitely not there. But IMHO it would have been a perfect park entrance for the new hotel cause it's already designed as one.

Anyone know what they'll do with the part between green and yellow in DHS? Will it just be a dead end? Cause I'd hate to lose that beautiful building design.

ToTBellHop

View attachment 299305

Oh yeah, and these are directly in front of you. :rolleyes:

They're exactly the same! No offense but it really seems like you are reaching for something to complain about...
The entrance is different than in Disneyland, but they really can't get around the fact that there is a service road here and, to be fair, this is largely going to be the "exit" of the land for awhile.

These should still be more immersive than the entrance to Pandora (which I also think is perfectly fine).

I agree that people are reaching for something to complain about here. Both lands should be visually stunning. I hope they can pull off the rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom