News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lift Blog

In real life...
img_5623.jpg

Ganvanized. Not painted.

Once again this is in Russia, not Florida.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

This monstrosity of gray steel is just about what I expected. I like the idea, I like new transportation options, I even like the choice of system.

I don't like the "choice" of "theming", or lack thereof. Not saying it's going to ruin someone's vacation (but I bet front desk has to deal with this "issue" at least a few times a year), but it just seems so far below the bar Disney has set for itself. Am I the only person on these boards that think this is bad show?
I do not have a problem with honesty of purpose and am rather adverse to the idea of “themed” towers. Ornamenting the towers in such a context would be about hiding them, trying to clutter them up in a vain attempt to try and make them go away, not about telling a story.

What I think a lot of the project lacks is elegance. That recently posted photo of the tower at Caribbean Beach shows something plopped down, not something that is part of an undefeated environment. Even a smoother tower like in some of the other photos you posted would help, as there would be less visual noise attracting attention to the tower.

Goofyernmost

You're comparing the original skyway built in the 50's to a 2018 Doppelmayr Gondola. Not exactly apples to apples.
Actually when they were built has absolutely nothing to do with show. They were bare metal right in the middle of a busy theme park promoted as pure fantasy. And they were considered an attraction. Nobody, and I mean nobody thought that there was anything wrong with that at the time or even now. However, in WDW, something that is probably going to be looked at as an attraction, but, really isn't is being criticized that they are bad show. In whose universe is that true. The example is next to a resort, which is also not an attraction, it is a place where people sleep. There is absolutely nothing out of line about them being rust resistant galvanized since it has no more to do with show then the buses do. And they will probably last a lot longer without needing any expensive maintenance. Painting them any other color will just require a lot more, will look worse until painted again. That is why I posted that picture. Fans have an awful lot double standards depending on if they support the system or not.

Maybe we should paint the bus roads the traditional red, yellow and black Disney (Mouse) colors so that they can be themed.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Actually when they were built has absolutely nothing to do with show. They were bare metal right in the middle of a busy theme park promoted as pure fantasy. And they were considered an attraction. Nobody, and I mean nobody thought that there was anything wrong with that at the time or even now. However, in WDW, something that is probably going to be looked at as an attraction, but, really isn't is being criticized that they are bad show. In whose universe is that true. The example is next to a resort, which is also not an attraction, it is a place where people sleep. There is absolutely nothing out of line about them being rust resistant galvanized since it has no more to do with show then the buses do. And they will probably last a lot longer without needing any expensive maintenance. Painting them any other color will just require a lot more, will look worse until painted again. That is why I posted that picture. Fans have an awful lot double standards depending on if they support the system or not.

Maybe we should paint the bus roads the traditional red, yellow and black Disney (Mouse) colors so that they can be themed.
The idea of doing better the next time is not a double standard.

Goofyernmost

The idea of doing better the next time is not a double standard.
You know as well as I do that this isn't about that at all. There is absolutely no reason to go to the expense to paint (oh, I'm sorry, theme) those utility towers when their entire job is to hold up the cable and the gondola's. It is just another of the crap excuses to complain about nothing. So go ahead and make like it has even an iota of importance to anyone except a few of the larger complainers. The rest of us will just enjoy them for what they are. TRANSPORTATION

It's like complaining because a farmer didn't put white wall tires on a manure spreader. Dressing it up differently isn't going to make it work any better. It also comes under the heading of you 'don't have to fix something if it ain't broken'!

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So what are all the attachment points for? The ladder ones are evident but it costs money to install all those others. Why?
well, since you're so adamant that they're not inertial dampeners...

They're there to hold the strap-on ladder segment in place when they install it to go up the tower. They keep it from slipping down and across.

Missing20K

I do not have a problem with honesty of purpose and am rather adverse to the idea of “themed” towers. Ornamenting the towers in such a context would be about hiding them, trying to clutter them up in a vain attempt to try and make them go away, not about telling a story.

What I think a lot of the project lacks is elegance. That recently posted photo of the tower at Caribbean Beach shows something plopped down, not something that is part of an undefeated environment. Even a smoother tower like in some of the other photos you posted would help, as there would be less visual noise attracting attention to the tower.

Yes. My hope is they at least put landscape beds around the towers near guest areas to break up the visual noise as you say.

Ganvanized. Not painted.

Once again this is in Russia, not Florida.

Can they be powder coated or painted with glavanic paint?

I don't feel like doing this but I guess I will.

To say that the era in which an attraction is built has no relevance on said attractions ability to create or enhance the story is too great a divide between our opinions for me to try and toss you a rope to pull you to my side. One quick example is compliance in AA's, as they have progressed in their capabilities one might argue they are able to better tell the story through greater immersion because the audience is able to suspend disbelief that it is an AA they are watching and not an actor. Oops, I guess I will give you one rope.

Resorts are themed at Disney, thus being far greater than just places to sleep to the average guest. Hence the premium Disney is able to charge for a fairly standard room, a topic you have most definitively stated your opinion on numerous times.

The buses have graphic wraps on them. And the porte cocheres are usually pretty nice.

EDIT: As far as painting the roads red, yellow and black, I'm sure you aware of the STOLport runway grooves that played "When You Wish Upon a Star" at 45 mph, yes? What a waste of time and money that was for just a unique, whimsical touch of "show."

I will just quote myself as far as the last one.
I like the idea, I like new transportation options, I even like the choice of system.

You know as well as I do that this isn't about that at all. There is absolutely no reason to go to the expense to paint (oh, I'm sorry, theme) those utility towers when their entire job is to hold up the cable and the gondola's. It is just another of the crap excuses to complain about nothing. So go ahead and make like it has even an iota of importance to anyone except a few of the larger complainers. The rest of us will just enjoy them for what they are. TRANSPORTATION

It's like complaining because a farmer didn't put white wall tires on a manure spreader. Dressing it up differently isn't going to make it work any better. It also comes under the heading of you 'don't have to fix something if it ain't broken'!

And again quoting myself...
Not saying it's going to ruin someone's vacation

EDIT: And me again....
But again....impossibly small first world Disney problems.

Oi, that was too much work. No más.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The key factor is that the Gondolas are not an attraction, they are transportation to the attractions. They are not the show, they are the road to the show. You guys keep going and each blade of grass between 192 and the northern end of the property will have to have some sort of theme. What is the theme of the things that hold up the Monorail. I believe it is part of the Monorail track just as the tower/cable is part of what is used to move a gondola. And stand alone the monorail tracks have become butt ugly. Gondolas, towers and cables, are a utility within a resort. The stations, the things that count, are themed and that is all that is necessary. If there were some way to theme it I guess it would be OK to do so, but, what a colossal waste of money and you are the same guys that curse Disney for spending to much money and taking to long to build, yet, the demands never end.

Thelazer

EDIT: As far as painting the roads red, yellow and black, I'm sure you aware of the STOLport runway grooves that played "When You Wish Upon a Star" at 45 mph, yes? What a waste of time and money that was for just a unique, whimsical touch of "show."

I belive that was done as a test, it was going to be permently put in at the edge of Disney property. But it was decided it might freak out to many drivers / slow them down.. and cause massive traffic backups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom