News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Pixieish

Life is full of lessons at varying stages of age. At my age (70 almost) I made the mistake of watching a program on cable called Dr. G Medical Examiner. Now I don't dare to even move. Who knew how many bazaar things that could kill you. I'm even afraid to inhale now even though I also know that not inhaling will also buy the farm for me.
That show is CRAZY! I have 2 slightly psycho (read: not afraid of anything and giving me heart attacks) sons, and it makes me want to lock them in a padded room.

JoeCamel

Life is full of lessons at varying stages of age. At my age (70 almost) I made the mistake of watching a program on cable called Dr. G Medical Examiner. Now I don't dare to even move. Who knew how many bazaar things that could kill you. I'm even afraid to inhale now even though I also know that not inhaling will also buy the farm for me.
Bazaars can be very dangerous

Goofyernmost

Yes, I find it quite bizarre which words spell check gives me sometimes. Predictive text can be quite frustrating as well especially in a technical field. I have turned it off.
In all fairness, I obviously did it wrong to begin with for it to give me a correction, but, I am going to blame spell check anyway. I know it has never complained in the past.

Lift Blog

Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new gondola with double turnarounds at both ends in basically the same configuration as we are seeing at WDW. The kicker is most of the carriers hold copper ore rather than people. The system can move 60 tons per hour and carriers come to complete stops for loading/unloading while the line keeps moving. Super cool to see it in action!

Double turnaround with chain conveyors at 0:23
Carrier stops on rear turnaround at 0:42
Another double turnaround is at 1:27
Carrier returns to the main rail at 1:55
A switch move is shown at 2:49

Last edited:

Grimley1968

Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new gondola with double turnarounds at both ends. The kicker is some of the carriers hold ore rather than people. The system can move 60 tons per hour and carriers come to complete stops for loading/unloading while the system keeps moving. Super cool!

Nice video. Is it accurate to say that, at least in that system, the inner turnaround for the human gondolas was only activated when the guy pressed those buttons? I have to keep my sound muted at work, so please forgive me if it is pointed out audibly. I wonder if it'll be like that for WDW, or if they'll have an "nth out of n gondolas" automatic switch between inner and outer turnarounds, or a combination of the two.

TiggerDad

Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new gondola with double turnarounds at both ends in basically the same configuration as we are seeing at WDW. The kicker is most of the carriers hold copper ore rather than people. The system can move 60 tons per hour and carriers come to complete stops for loading/unloading while the system keeps moving. Super cool!

Update to Seven Dwarves Mine Train!

JoeCamel

Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new gondola with double turnarounds at both ends in basically the same configuration as we are seeing at WDW. The kicker is most of the carriers hold copper ore rather than people. The system can move 60 tons per hour and carriers come to complete stops for loading/unloading while the system keeps moving. Super cool to see it in action!

Cool, nice to see how the double load works. I wonder who made the buckets, they look like magnesium.

Lift Blog

Nice video. Is it accurate to say that, at least in that system, the inner turnaround for the human gondolas was only activated when the guy pressed those buttons? I have to keep my sound muted at work, so please forgive me if it is pointed out audibly. I wonder if it'll be like that for WDW, or if they'll have an "nth out of n gondolas" automatic switch between inner and outer turnarounds, or a combination of the two.

The only thing you are missing audio wise is dramatic Austrian music. The button pushing looked like a start sequence. I think the personnel cabin is only launched on demand.

As I've said before, my guess is cabins will come off in Florida at fixed intervals. Because the spacing will be so much tighter, there needs to be room for slow lane cabins to merge back in.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Doppelmayr just posted a video of a new gondola with double turnarounds at both ends in basically the same configuration as we are seeing at WDW. The kicker is most of the carriers hold copper ore rather than people. The system can move 60 tons per hour and carriers come to complete stops for loading/unloading while the line keeps moving. Super cool to see it in action!

I'll bet those buckets don't have air cond... fried chicken in them...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Can ECVs even fit in those tubs?

Lensman

Great video find, @Lift Blog!

I thought it would be helpful to take some stills of some key frames for us to obsess over.

Here's the full double turnaround looking from the bull wheel side towards the double turnaround. The bucket on the right has detached but hasn't gotten to the switch to the back turnaround. The bucket on the left has rejoined the front turnaround but hasn't reattached to the line.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.13.06 PM.png

Here's a view from the turnaround looking towards the bull wheel. The bucket in the foreground is on the "second" turnaround headed toward the automated loader. The bucket in the background has rejoined the "first" turnaround and it about to reattach to the cable.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.12.27 PM.png

Here is a view of the unloading station from the back of the "second" turnaround.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.14.39 PM.png

Here is another view of the station from the back of the "second" turnaround. In this picture, you can see the "first" turnaround with the passenger car stopped and waiting for workers. Note that this is not now passengers will load on the WDW Skyliner since the Skyliner will level-load rather than step-up load. Note that Skyliner passengers will probably not slide down a chute into a bucket either! :)
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.15.16 PM.png

Here is a closeup of the track mechanism where gondolas/buckets rejoin the same track.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.17.16 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom