How safe is Space Mountain?

PeoplemoverTTA

My best friend from high school was a CP (and later a full-time CM) in Space Mountain and told me some stories of things that happened during her shifts. I really didn't ride SM much before anyway, but haven't ridden since, honestly (and neither did she).

Most of the stories though were due to guests. One in particular that I always remember was the time a train pulled into unload with a screaming family and the father passed out and bloody.

Someone in another car didn't secure their bag/water bottle very well. The bottle left the car and hit the man in a train going by below. She said he ended up okay but spooky nonetheless.

KentB3

What disney world deserves and needs is this:
RAREscificityTDL.jpg

What is this?

ChanduTail

Also if you ever saw SM with the lights on you would realize the stories about people reaching out to grab things and getting hurt are unfounded. This is why selfie sticks are not allowed because it would take that extra reach to actually hit something. Wow and all that from ,wait for it............ a bus driver!!😂
As a teenager I decided to try to touch the top of the red tunnel, because I was an idiot. I was fully restrained and all, just reached up as far as I could, and I was successful. The only thing that happened was that I got a shock & probably a notation in the permanent file some people believe Disney keeps on all their guests.

I'm only 5'6" & was probably about 5'5" then, so I imagine a very tall person could even do this by mistake.

Castle Cake Apologist

You're telling me that constant wear and tear and a lack of maintenance and proper installations is not something Disney can control?

Not to mention the Sailing Ship Columbia and Big Thunder Mountain incidents at Disneyland a few years back, where guests died as a direct result of Disney's negligent cost-cutting and lack of maintenance.

I think we've moved beyond the era of Disney Parks where attractions are potentially actually dangerous to ride due to lack of maintenance and training, but I hate when people act like there isn't a precedent.

All that said, Space was due for a total track replacement in 2008, so I imagine they can only defer that reality with trim brakes for so long before their hand is forced. I believe that the spray paint markings are even still on the supports to mark the spots to cut when they were supposed to come in and dismantle the track.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

What is this?
It's sci-fi city, the planned, but cancelled tomorrowland replacement for tokyo disneyland. I'm not kidding when I say it would have the best tomorrowland of any park.
. The big building on the left is hyperspace mountain, unrelated to the star wars space mountain. It would have had an outdoor section and probably more considering how big the building is.
. Flying saucers, which is just astro orbitor but with UFOs instead.
. A remake of disneyland's flying saucers (basically luigi's flying tires, if you're more familiar with that)
. Sci fi zoo, a walkthrough attraction where guests encounter alien animatronics and can get to interact with them
. UFO encounter, a spiritual successor to alien encounter using TOT's ride system
. and moon rovers, which was a sci-fi version of the speedway
. also an alien biker bar restaurant
It was canned for tokyo disneysea. Well, at least the money was used for something good.

Corgi

Between the closed post-show, rickety track, and broken sound effects, SM is starting to become a shell of what it was before... :( Until they get it refurbed it’s just about the coaster and not about being in “space.”

msg7

My best friend from high school was a CP (and later a full-time CM) in Space Mountain and told me some stories of things that happened during her shifts. I really didn't ride SM much before anyway, but haven't ridden since, honestly (and neither did she).

Most of the stories though were due to guests. One in particular that I always remember was the time a train pulled into unload with a screaming family and the father passed out and bloody.

Someone in another car didn't secure their bag/water bottle very well. The bottle left the car and hit the man in a train going by below. She said he ended up okay but spooky nonetheless.
This is exactly why Universal, Cedar Fair, and Six Flags parks have strict no loose article policies.... I'm surprised Disney hasn't taken action yet..

KBLovedDisney

Nah, fam. I really do believe it was rougher than when I was on it a year ago. Are there any differences to the two sides, though? Because when I went a year ago, and this past May, I didn't ride on the right side.
I do believe one of the tracks is slightly different. Last time I went, I requested to get on the Omega side instead of Alpha (or whichever side is normally used for FP holders instead of standby). It was a different experience in that it was smoother and felt slightly faster.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I do believe one of the tracks is slightly different. Last time I went, I requested to get on the Omega side instead of Alpha (or whichever side is normally used for FP holders instead of standby). It was a different experience in that it was smoother and felt slightly faster.
Huh. The side that we used all 3 times (The right side) is the one that is always used for FP and I definitely didn't feel as safe on it as I usually did! At least, by the third ride. Like I said, the first two times were fine. No extremely loud cracks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The tracks are mirror copies of each other. One (I forget which) is slightly longer by a few feet for crossover.

Bairstow

The tracks are mirror copies of each other. One (I forget which) is slightly longer by a few feet for crossover.

True, but 40 years of piecemeal repairs and wear and tear certainly would give each of them their own character by now. More than that, this is a coaster that is largely dependent on trim brakes to determine its ride experience. If the sections on either side are set up a little differently or engaging differently, it's going to make a big difference in the ride. Finally, Americans, as a general rule, are more accustomed to making right turns in vehicles, owing to the traffic laws. Omega, which goes left for most of its hardest corners, will accordingly "feel" faster.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
True, but 40 years of piecemeal repairs and wear and tear certainly would give each of them their own character by now. More than that, this is a coaster that is largely dependent on trim brakes to determine its ride experience. If the sections on either side are set up a little differently or engaging differently, it's going to make a big difference in the ride. Finally, Americans, as a general rule, are more accustomed to making right turns in vehicles, owing to the traffic laws. Omega, which goes left for most of its hardest corners, will accordingly "feel" faster.
I nearly did say that different vehicle weights will suggest different experiences. Especially with the newest trim brakes.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Is Omega the right side? (Speaking from the lift hill point of view)

righttrack

Over time everything breaks and breaks down. That said, WDW is on it and that is why sensors, testing, and most of all day to day testing and good old-fashioned elbow grease keeps everything running day in and day out. I rode that ride at 430lbs and if in the same car it could hold me and my 70lb child all day, every day, I know it can handle just about everything you could throw at it. Think about the engineering marvel that is! I'm looking forward to riding all of the rides at normal weight soon because I know I will enjoy them more not wondering if I'm going to break a restraint.

It's a basic mouse coaster. It's a lot less than you think it is because minus the darkness, you'd see it doesn't go that fast. Gravity handles most of the movement and the time of day you ride determines how the lubrication moves through the moving parts. In this type of ride, your experience varies based on this. It's noisy and clackety due to factors already mentioned in this thread. Full-time people who understand the inner workings of this ride look at it every day and observe it throughout the day.

mergatroid

I remember reading that they put grease of some type on the wheels in the morning and as the day goes on, this affects the speed of the ride vehicles? Also the weight of those in the vehicles can affect the speed so there are several possible variables each time you experience it.

I still absolutely love this attraction and I've been riding it for over 40 years now.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Yep. As you’re ascending the lifts. It then mostly runs in the opposite side of the building.
That left-turn theory could definitely play a large role in me thinking it was going faster than normal, then! As I had never experienced the Omega side before that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom