So Comcast was the highest bidder for FOX, but FOX picked Disney instead...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry but jerky simulation is not what is going to be happening with Falcon. If anything that how one could describe that 31 year old attraction called Star Tours.

Also you may consider it unnecessary but there have been several generations now of SW fans that have been wanting to get in the cockpit and fly the Falcon since 1977.

You have zero clue what is being built...and since when do the 1977 fans matter? They clearly don’t to “the company”...

Anyway...we’re still in the land of promises right now...I’m guessing we’re gettng a sim on hydraulic platforms...which would be really cool if I hadn’t ridden it at DAK 4 times

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You have zero clue what is being built...and since when do the 1977 fans matter? They clearly don’t to “the company”...

Anyway...we’re still in the land of promises right now...I’m guessing we’re gettng a sim on hydraulic platforms...which would be really cool if I hadn’t ridden it at DAK 4 times

I've seen the Alpha version of the graphic being used in MF, and so have others on this board. So yeah we kinda do know what its going be like.

Also the fact that the Falcon is still part of the story in the new movies they do care about fans from 1977.

As for your hydraulic platform prediction, well we already know its not going to be that straight forward. Here is an image showing a representation of pods where guests will sit to drive the MF:

star-wars-land-disneys-hollywood-studios-68.jpg

The pods are suppose to spin around the center and move directional with the action as I understand it. So its far and above just a hydraulic platform.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've seen the Alpha version of the graphic being used in MF, and so have others on this board. So yeah we kinda do know what its going be like.

Also the fact that the Falcon is still part of the story in the new movies they do care about fans from 1977.

As for your hydraulic platform prediction, well we already know its not going to be that straight forward. Here is an image showing a representation of pods where guests will sit to drive the MF:

star-wars-land-disneys-hollywood-studios-68.jpg

The pods are suppose to spin around the center and move directional with the action as I understand it. So its far and above just a hydraulic platform.

So it may turn out cool...we’re gonna have to see it...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What are you talking about? There were X-Wings in the new movies just new versions. TFA was set 30 years after RoTJ, at some point in that 30 years you'd expect some upgrades to the ships. Poe flew in the T-70 version of the X-Wing.

Opinion alert!!!

Are we gonna debate details? That’s a bad idea.

I needed 30 seconds in 4.5 hours of pointless “rich storytelling” to tell me why the winners of the war to end all wars are dirt poor...and another 30 seconds to explain why genius boy left 6 Alive going into the “climax”...including the dead lady?

Got any “insider” knowledge of that? I have simple needs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Opinion alert!!!

Are we gonna debate details? That’s a bad idea.

I needed 30 seconds in 4.5 hours of pointless “rich storytelling” to tell me why the winners of the war to end all wars are dirt poor...and another 30 seconds to explain why genius boy left 6 Alive going into the “climax”...including the dead lady?

Got any “insider” knowledge of that? I have simple needs.

There you go again speaking in coded references that no one is going to understand. And because of that I have to guess at what you're talking about. Which means there is very good possibility that I'll miss your point.

Ok, so by genius boy, I'm guessing you're talking about Rian Johnson. There was more than 6 rebels alive, but ok. Its to build up the underdog tension going into Ep9. How are so few going to overcome the insurmountable odds against them? Its the classic David vs Goliath storytelling device. As for not killing off Leia, well that is more of trying to honor Carrie Fisher.

As for being poor, why do you assume the winners are a single entity. The whole point of the resistance was to let all the worlds under the Empire make their own choices under a Galactic Senate instead of under an oppressive regime. This is similar to how the UN was setup after WWII. The UN doesn't take in all the worlds money. Each nation keeps their own money.

DanielBB8

You get a pass...

Anyway...the one ride is very intriguing - though we can do without the useless first order/resistance nonsense - I am stoked for that.

The other sounds like another jerky simulation where you push buttons...mission space 2.0.

Unnecessary.

What I would like to see is a hybrid ride of some type that combines story elements...perhaps a backstory/launch bay scenario...then goes full linear induction into a battle of some sorts....indoors so you can use projections/screens/really anything you want.

It boggles me that now 3 times they have been tasked with Star Wars and they end up with some cheesy story driven simulator or slow ride. Caveat is at least the trackless sounds like it might have a shot.
Not push buttons like mission space, but using a joystick to navigate and fire weapons to target enemy ships. They will render action in real time. In essence, you’re getting a real simulator instead if a faked simulator. See the difference? Mission Space was never what the astronauts would ever train on, but this new Star Wars Millennium Falcon ride comes much closer to realistic action because it allows more unpredictable scenarios. Star Tours is often touted as being random, but you see the same scenes over again. MF will have different scenes depending on how the passengers fly the vehicle.

Why can’t you simulate the linear induction into a battle scene? Or better yet, let some passengers pick what scenarios they want to experience. Sounds like you’re never satisfied.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

PB Watermelon

The only - and I mean only - reason I'm pulling for the Mouse is because Universal has been screwing with Disney since the late 20's. Universal even blocked plans for Walt to build a little park in a lot outside his Burbank studio, Walt had to go looking for other venues, settled on some orange groves in Anheim. Wouldn't have happened (well, you never knew with Walt) without Universal blocking it. Then Universal builds their own theme park a couple of miles and over the hills from where Walt wanted to build his little train trip. I get companies can have friendly rivalries, you see it all the time in tech and entertainment, but there's something fundamentally strange about Universal and Disney and shared hostility. Yes, I know Comcast is not Universal. Just Universal part of Comcast. So, as an admirer of a company that makes people happy every day, I say suck it, Comcast. How was your day?

TROR

The only - and I mean only - reason I'm pulling for the Mouse is because Universal has been screwing with Disney since the late 20's. Universal even blocked plans for Walt to build a little park in a lot outside his Burbank studio, Walt had to go looking for other venues, settled on some orange groves in Anheim. Wouldn't have happened (well, you never knew with Walt) without Universal blocking it. Then Universal builds their own theme park a couple of miles and over the hills from where Walt wanted to build his little train trip. I get companies can have friendly rivalries, you see it all the time in tech and entertainment, but there's something fundamentally strange about Universal and Disney and shared hostility. Yes, I know Comcast is not Universal. Just Universal part of Comcast. So, as an admirer of a company that makes people happy every day, I say suck it, Comcast. How was your day?
Is that true? The Universal Studios Tram Tour didn't start until 1964 so it's not like they were afraid of competition with a business they hadn't even started yet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I have my own personal issues with Comcast, but Roberts has a personal grudge against Disney and Iger. This stems Roberts trying to buy Disney in 2004 and being rejected.

PB Watermelon

Is that true? The Universal Studios Tram Tour didn't start until 1964 so it's not like they were afraid of competition with a business they hadn't even started yet.

When Disneyland was planned just as an undeveloped lot next to the Buena Vista studio (so Walt could play with his train), he had to have approvals from the City Council to build/re-zone, etc. Universal was part of the community that blocked it. It wasn't about theme parks, it was a zoning issue. Walt had to go looking elsewhere, found some cheap land in Anaheim. That's when Disneyland really became Disneyland, instead of a small lot with Walt's train driving past scenes from his movies.

PB Watermelon

Oh...by the way...here's my conspiracy theory du jour...Walt Disney technically didn't die from cancer. He suffered two heart attacks as a result of losing a lung post-op surgery. Collapsed in his home, had to be revived by paramdeics. Had a second circulatory collapse, fatally, in the hospital, in bed.

Here's my take. I'm not sure it was the smoking that caused the lung cancer. You want to know what I think it was? No? Too bad, I'm going to tell you anyway.

Coal dust. Walt Disney's model trains, pumping coal dust into him. Hour after hour. The toy train hobby that let him escape the pressures of the studio. Smoking unflitered Chesterfields didn't help. But combine that with the toxic coal fumes coming out of his trains, guys...people have blamed smoking for Walt's death for decades. It might not have been just cigarettes. Could have been that train hobby.

Anyway, conspiracy theory du jour. Damn train hobby killed Walt Disney.

TROR

Oh...by the way...here's my conspiracy theory du jour...Walt Disney technically didn't die from cancer. He suffered two heart attacks as a result of losing a lung post-op surgery. Collapsed in his home, had to be revived by paramdeics. Had a second circulatory collapse, fatally, in the hospital, in bed.

Here's my take. I'm not sure it was the smoking that caused the lung cancer. You want to know what I think it was? No? Too bad, I'm going to tell you anyway.

Coal dust. Walt Disney's model trains, pumping coal dust into him. Hour after hour. The toy train hobby that let him escape the pressures of the studio. Smoking unflitered Chesterfields didn't help. But combine that with the toxic coal fumes coming out of his trains, guys...people have blamed smoking for Walt's death for decades. It might not have been just cigarettes. Could have been that train hobby.

Anyway, conspiracy theory du jour. Damn train hobby killed Walt Disney.
Not sure the relevance of this, but I subscribe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom