Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Squishy

Since we get this ALL the time in this forum, I thought it would be nice to condense it into one place that the mods could make sticky - this stuff gets repeated ad naseum around here since the site caters to a WDW fanbase.

I'll start with this:

GiveMeTheMusic's INFALLIBLE List of Unique DLR Attractions/Shows PLUS Those Considered to be Superior to their WDW Counterparts!
(This list does not take into account international Disney resorts; it only lists attractions that are available in DLR and not at WDW)

Disneyland
Attractions
Main Street Vehicles
Disneyland Railroad featuring the Grand Canyon and Primeval World Dioramas
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Autopia
Space Mountain/Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Alice in Wonderland
Storybookland Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
it's a small world/it's a small world Holiday
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Fantasy Faire and Royal Theater
Mickey's Toontown (in general)
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Golden Horseshoe
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
New Orleans Square (in general)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion/Haunted Mansion Holiday
Indiana Jones Adventure

Entertainment
Fantasmic!
Together Forever: A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular fireworks
Believe...In Holiday Magic fireworks(runs mid Nov - early Jan)
Pixar Play Parade
A Christmas Fantasy Parade (plays mid Nov - early Jan)
Mickey and the Magical Map
Royal Theatre Storytelling at Fantasy Faire

Disney California Adventure
Attractions
Cars Land (in general)
Radiator Springs Racers
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!/Monsters After Dark
Buena Vista Street (in general)
Red Car Trolley
Monsters Inc: Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
Disney Animation (Sorcerer's Workshop)
Grizzly River Run
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Incredicoaster
Goofy's Sky School
Pixar Pal-A-Round
Golden Zephyr
Silly Symphony Swings
Jessie's Critter Carousel (opens 2019)

Entertainment
World of Color (runs early Jan - mid Nov)
World of Color - Season of Light (runs mid Nov - early Jan)
Paint the Night Parade
Frozen - Live at the Hyperion!
Red Car Newsboys
Five & Dime

WDW Veterans FAQ!
Do I need to stay on-site? DLR's hotels are very expensive.

DLR is so compact that staying on-site is nowhere near necessary. There are dozens of reputable hotels within short walking distance to the park gates at a fraction of DLR resort prices.

Which airport should I fly into? There's like 12. And what about Magical Express?
The closest (and arguably nicest) airport to DLR is John Wayne International (SNA). About 20 minutes from the resort without traffic (LOL), it's the easiest choice. LAX is further but services more flights (and many hate LAX for how huge and unwieldy it is). Long Beach is another closer option, and is a very small airport. You could also fly into Ontario or Burbank. DLR does not offer Magical Express; but there is a separately operated bus line called Disneyland Express that is available from LAX and SNA. Of course, no one would recommend you come all the way to Los Angeles and JUST visit DLR - there are so many amazing things to see and do in Southern California, and DLR is just one of them. I recommend renting a car.

What about dining reservations? What do I need to book at the 180 day mark?
LOL. Nothing. DLR dining reservations are only available 60 days out, and are not a requirement like they are at WDW. If you want to eat at the Blue Bayou, a reservation is recommended to ensure availability. It's also wise to book entertainment dining packages (available for Frozen Live, Paint the Night, World of Color and Fantasmic) in advance, regardless of the venue.

I can't wait to get my MagicBand! What about Fastpass+?
Double LOL. No wristbands or Fastpass+, but MaxPass allows you to book Fastpasses digitally through the official Disneyland app for $10 per person per day. One Fastpass per ticket at a time, per park.

I only have ONE day! Will the parks be crowded? Which rides should I go on?
If you're a WDW vet with one day at DLR, you need to make every moment count. The parks will probably be crowded to some degree - there is little to no off-season left on DLR's calendar; the parks are exceedingly popular. If you'll be park hopping, start your day with the most popular attraction - Radiator Springs Racers. Either nab a Fastpass, get in a short standby line or ride single rider. Decide which attractions are important to you in both parks, and hit them next. At Disneyland, the mountains and Indiana Jones Adventure are the most popular attractions and get the longest lines.

Anything I should know about Fastpass?
Yes! Fantasmic! and World of Color Fastpasses are freebies.

Oooo, I want to see World of Color!
You should, it's amazing. If you don't book a dining package that includes show passes, you will need to get Fastpasses for the viewing area. They're distributed throughout the day at Grizzly River Run, but will run out on crowded days. Be sure to show up well before showtime if you want your pick of "seating", especially on crowded days.

I heard your Fantasmic has no seats! What are you, barbarians? I like to watch Fantasmic from the comfort of a rock hard metal bleacher.
The trade-off is a show that is unlike any other in the world, including the pale imitation at Disney's Hollywood Studios. You will have to stand, just like World of Color, unless you sit all the way down at the river's edge, where you will have to sit on the concrete.

Fantasmic! is now Fastpass-only reserved viewing, like World of Color. Fastpasses will be distributed from park opening to one hour before showtime (or until they run out, which they usually do) on the Big Thunder Trail in Frontierland. There will be some minimal viewing areas reserved for non-Fastpass guests.

Dining packages are also available that include Fantasmic! Fastpasses - see below for details.

What about a Dining Plan?
Disneyland Resort doesn't offer a Disney Dining Plan. All meals are pay as you go for all guests.

What shows offer dining packages that include reserved seating?
The following can all be booked 60 days in advance on disneyland.com or by calling 714-781-DINE:

Fantasmic!
Blue Bayou serves a three course prix fixe dinner for $69 per adult and $29 child. Front and center seating is provided for the show, along with a butt cushion to sit on.

River Belle Terrace also serves a three course prix fixe dinner for $45 per adult and $25 per child. Riverfront seating is provided for the show, or for an additional charge, you can view the show directly from your table on the River Belle Terrace patio.

Grab-and-go meals are available at Hungry Bear ($29.99/adult, $19.99/child), and these include regular show Fastpasses.

Paint the Night
Carthay Circle offers a four course prix fixe dinner starting at $99 per adult and $45 per child, which includes access to reserved parade seating next to the restaurant.

Wine Country Trattoria serves a 3 course prix fixe meal at both lunch and dinner. Lunch is $38 per adult and $21 per child, dinner is $49 per adult and $25 per child.

Sonoma Terrace offers a "reception" featuring a charcuterie tray, desserts and alcoholic beverages for the grown ups while the parade passes by, $79 per person, tax and gratuity included.

World of Color
Carthay Circle serves a 3 course prix fixe meal at both lunch and dinner. Lunch starts at $46 per adult and $25 per child, dinner starts at $62 per adult and $25 per child.

Wine Country Trattoria also serves a 3 course prix fixe meal at both lunch and dinner. Lunch is $38 per adult and $21 per child, dinner is $49 per adult and $25 per child.

A dessert party is offered at the Pacific Park Amphitheatre during the show, including a glass of sparkling wine and a tray of desserts. It's $79 per person, tax and gratuity included.

Does Disneyland offer the MyDisneyExperience app or Fastpass+ reservations?
Digital Fastpass reservations can be made once you enter a park and scan your ticket into the official Disneyland app and purchase MaxPass. It is $10 per person, per day, or $75 to add onto any Annual Passport. If you do not opt to pay for MaxPass, you can still get standard paper Fastpasses for free by visiting each attraction's distribution areas.

MaxPass allows you to book one digital Fastpass per person at a time for either park, regardless of the park you're physically in. You must have used your park ticket to enter the park before MaxPass becomes available. MaxPass also includes free PhotoPass downloads.

The following attractions offer Fastpass:

Disneyland
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Star Tours
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Splash Mountain
Indiana Jones Adventure
Haunted Mansion/Haunted Mansion Holiday
it's a small world Holiday
Fantasmic! (freebie)

Disney California Adventure
Radiator Springs Racers
Incredicoaster
Soarin' Around the World
Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!/Monsters After Dark
Grizzly River Run
Goofy's Sky School
Toy Story Midway Mania
World of Color (freebie)

Freebie Fastpasses are for shows and don't "count" - meaning you can hold a freebie and another ride Fastpass at the same time. Show Fastpasses cannot be booked using MaxPass in the Disneyland app, you must physically obtain them.

What's new at the Disneyland Resort?
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror closed for several months and reopened as Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout! in spring 2017. The ride system remained the same, but the show scenes were completely altered to reflect the new Marvel theme. This attraction is expected to anchor the new Marvel land coming to DCA in the next few years. After 6PM during the HalloweenTime season, the ride transforms into a sequel to itself (no joke) called Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark.

Also in summer 2017, the Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America attractions reopened in their new configurations and with new scenes due to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge construction. Fantasmic! returned with new show scenes and updates at the same time.

Pixar Fest runs April 13 - September 3, 2018, bringing DCA's old Pixar Play Parade to Disneyland with some new floats mixed in. Paint the Night Parade returns, this time at Disney California Adventure, and new Pixar food, merchandise and entertainment will be available in both parks. Together Forever: A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular, a brand new fireworks show, will replace Remember...Dreams Come True for the duration of the event.

Most of Paradise Pier is closed to work on the six month transformation to Pixar Pier, which opens June 23, 2018. California Screamin', King Triton's Carousel of the Sea, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Games of the Boardwalk, Sideshow Shirts, Ariel's Grotto and Cove Bar are all under the knife. California Screamin' will reopen with an Incredibles theme under a new name, Incredicoaster. King Triton's Carousel of the Sea will be rethemed to Toy Story and open in early 2019.

The remaining Paradise Pier attractions will be grouped under a new land name, Paradise Park.

Flik's Flyers will move from a bug's land to the former Maliboomer location and be rethemed to Inside Out. This won't occur until late summer 2018, when a bug's land closes to make way for a major Marvel expansion opening in phases beginning in 2020.

The Tropical Hideaway, a new outdoor cafe in Adventureland on the former site of Aladdin's Oasis, will open later in 2018.

The western portion of Downtown Disney will close permanently by June 30 so that work can start on the resort's 4th hotel, due to open in 2021. Rainforest Cafe, AMC Theatres, ESPN Zone, Earl of Sandwich, Starbucks (West Downtown Disney only), and Alamo Rent-a-Car will close.

I heard that there's a secret club in New Orleans Square. How do I get in?
You can't. Club 33 is a members only lounge and restaurant, and its entrance is what is formerly known as the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square. Only members or guests of a member are allowed in, so unless you know someone who can make that reservation, don't get your hopes up.

When does Disneyland.com publish hours and show schedules?
Often less than 60 days in advance. There isn't a hard and fast schedule for the release of hours, so keep an eye on Disneyland.com as your trip draws closer. On off-season weekdays, Disneyland is open from 10am - 9pm, while DCA usually closes at 8pm. On weekends and during peak season, the parks can open as early as 8am and close as late as midnight.

How will Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge construction impact Disneyland?
It is no longer impacting any existing attractions. While a firm opening date for Star Wars Land isn't yet known, it will open in spring 2019.

What else should we add friends? @raven24 @TP2000
You should update this thread a bit... It says "it only lists attractions that are available in DLR and not at WDW " While we have Main Street Vehicles, Space mountain, Big thunder, It's a small world, Peter pan... etc

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
You should update this thread a bit... It says "it only lists attractions that are available in DLR and not at WDW " While we have Main Street Vehicles, Space mountain, Big thunder, It's a small world, Peter pan... etc

The big bold text clarifies: PLUS Those Considered to be Superior to their WDW Counterparts!

SteamboatJoe

Am I going to be able to tour the resorts and their grounds like at WDW or is it more strict at DLR? I usually just like to see the lobby, go to the gift shop, press some pennies, and maybe try a restaurant.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Am I going to be able to tour the resorts and their grounds like at WDW or is it more strict at DLR? I usually just like to see the lobby, go to the gift shop, press some pennies, and maybe try a restaurant.

You certainly can, but be aware that security at the Grand is very aggressive and may come up and ask you if you're a guest.

BlackCauldron

Will be traveling to Disneyland in mid-November and am looking into transportation options to the resort. We will be flying into LAX and we are currently staying at the Park Vue Inn - unless I change my mind again for the 10th time. While the Disneyland Express shuttle is "convenient," the timetable and multiple drop-offs/pick-ups don't really appeal to me, so I'm thinking a car or limo service might be the way to go. Has anyone else done this, and can someone please recommend a good/reliable and fairly priced service?

SteamboatJoe

What is the advised way to tour the parks, especially DL, for first timers that have 5 days to try everything? We'd like to be efficient but not at the expense at enjoying the park the way it should be.

I know WDW level of planning is not required but I am a planner by nature and thus am usually happier having some sort of plan, even if it's a general one. We will rope drop most if not all days and will be getting MaxPass. We are doing DL first on Wednesday and then DCA on Thursday.

Here are the options I have thought about for DL:

A) A DL version of my usual WDW route - Basically start in Adventureland and work clockwise

B) The reverse of A, start in Tomorrowland and work counterclockwise

C) Fantasyland first by going through the castle

D) Fantasyland first by going around the castle to the Matterhorn

E) Meet Mr. Lincoln first and then progress through the park however we feel

F) Have no plan and just wing it

I haven't really contemplated our DCA options. Probably will try to get to Radiator Springs first.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
What is the advised way to tour the parks, especially DL, for first timers that have 5 days to try everything? We'd like to be efficient but not at the expense at enjoying the park the way it should be.

I know WDW level of planning is not required but I am a planner by nature and thus am usually happier having some sort of plan, even if it's a general one. We will rope drop most if not all days and will be getting MaxPass. We are doing DL first on Wednesday and then DCA on Thursday.

Here are the options I have thought about for DL:

A) A DL version of my usual WDW route - Basically start in Adventureland and work clockwise

B) The reverse of A, start in Tomorrowland and work counterclockwise

C) Fantasyland first by going through the castle

D) Fantasyland first by going around the castle to the Matterhorn

E) Meet Mr. Lincoln first and then progress through the park however we feel

F) Have no plan and just wing it

I haven't really contemplated our DCA options. Probably will try to get to Radiator Springs first.

With MaxPass, you can grab FPs on your phone as soon you enter the park. Indiana Jones and Space Mountain run out of FPs first, so prioritize them. A good plan is to get an Indy FP, and hit Space Mountain, Star Tours and Nemo at opening. Once those are out of the way, you can head to Adventureland for Indy, and progress to the west side E tickets from there.

Fantasyland is a good thing to rope drop *provided* there is no EMH. If there's EMH, Fantasyland will be a mess by the time you can get in (unless you rope drop the EMH!). Since Peter Pan and Alice maintain long waits all day and don't offer FP, they're good rope drop bets.

Pay attention in the app to when your next FP will be available so that you can take advantage of that right away.

PiratesMansion

DO NOT do Lincoln first. I've never seen it busy. Do it in the afternoon along with the Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island, the Riverboats, etc.

Five days is plenty of time to see everything. You shouldn't have any problems fitting everything in.

Fantasyland is always a great place to start. You can pretty easily hit all the dark rides with little to no wait and minimal walking. In particular, if you want to experience Peter Pan with no/minimal wait you pretty much have to get there before rope drop and do it the second the park opens. I like to start with PP, then go to Alice, then Mr. Toad. From there you could do Snow White & Pinocchio, but they are less popular than the others. Probably a better choice would be Storybook Land, as that is a must-do with a very slow-moving line. I wouldn't say Casey Jr. is mandatory, but I think it complements the boats well and you're better off getting there with a shorter line so that you can sit on the benches, so you don't have to cram into the animal cages. Matterhorn isn't the early morning priority it used to be now that it has FastPass. It also tends to start with only one side and then bring on side # 2 30 min. later or so.

Toontown will open an hour after the rest of the park. That's always a good time to see Roger Rabbit with minimal wait and ensure that you get to see the queue, which you should see at least once.

For a second day, you might consider starting with the Nemo subs. It's slow loading and a long attraction, so it's a bit of a time commitment under the best of circumstances. I don't consider it to be super impressive, but if it's something you'd like to experience I'd head there first one morning. It would also be a good time to hit Autopia (if desired), and grab a FP for Space or Star Tours. Star Tours is identical but the lines are longer in DL because it has fewer simulators than WDW.

The west side of the park takes time to build up a crowd. Definitely begin with Indiana Jones if you're starting over there. Afterwards I would probably head to Splash, followed by Mansion and Pirates. But really the first two hours the park is open the west side is a relative ghost town and you'll practically have it to yourself.

This may have changed from last year, but last summer the FP machines for Mansion and Big Thunder were frequently giving out instant FPs that allowed you to ride immediately. Take advantage of them if that is still the case.

SteamboatJoe

Got back earlier this week. We had a blast. Rode everything in both parks in 5 days, saw the parades, fireworks, and the big theater shows. Watched Paint the Night twice and Fantasmic! three times. Aside from World of Color being broken, the only other disappointment was not understanding how the Animation Academy worked. When we had time to go in, the were going to be drawing characters I had zero interest in so we didn't do it. DL will never be my "home park" and I will never had the nostalgia for it others do since I didn't visit it as a child but I will certainly look back fondly on my trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom