Swan and Dolphin look outdated?

S 2

Anyone else think that the outside of the Swan and Dolphin looks tacky? I personally don’t find them to look that pretty. What’s your opinion?
It always makes me chuckle when someone starts a thread just to try and infect others with their negativity. All I can say is, do the pyramids in Egypt look outdated? How about the Eiffel Tower. <the most exaggerated eye roll in history>

JusticeDisney

It always makes me chuckle when someone starts a thread just to try and infect others with their negativity. All I can say is, do the pyramids in Egypt look outdated? How about the Eiffel Tower. <the most exaggerated eye roll in history>
It always makes me chuckle when someone compares a hotel in Orlando to Egyptian pyramids and the Eiffel Tower. <I just beat your eye roll by a mile>

Corgi

Original Poster
Here's a cool home video of the area during construction. I assume this video is from winter/spring '90, since the Swan is open, but the Dolphin is still not and the Yacht & Beach Clubs are mid-way through construction.

That’s awesome!! Thanks for the great find!

S 2

It always makes me chuckle when someone compares a hotel in Orlando to Egyptian pyramids and the Eiffel Tower. <I just beat your eye roll by a mile>

Fine point sir, let's bulldoze it, and while we're at it, Cinderella Castle looks like it came from the middle ages, let's get rid of it and its outdated gothic influences! We can make one from Ikea furniture instead!

I kid, to make a point. Real architecture is timeless, made from influences that transcend time. If the swan and dolphin is just an orlando hotel, then I don't think you get it. <eyeroll x infinity, no takesies-backsies>

JusticeDisney

Fine point sir, let's bulldoze it, and while we're at it, Cinderella Castle looks like it came from the middle ages, let's get rid of it and its outdated gothic influences! We can make one from Ikea furniture instead!

I kid, to make a point. Real architecture is timeless, made from influences that transcend time. If the swan and dolphin is just an orlando hotel, then I don't think you get it. <eyeroll x infinity, no takesies-backsies>
I never said the Swan and Dolphin look outdated. Indeed, I rather like them. I simply pointed out the absurdity of your comparisons. Oh, and if you really believe that the SD is some sort of architectural marvel, well then it is you who obviously doesn’t get it.

Anyway, you may now run back to your job as this board’s thread police. Hahahahahah!

HouCuseChickie

If you couldn’t already guess, I don’t think they’re outdated and I love the nostalgic vibe I get from them. I believe it was our 1988 trip when I first saw the dolphins on top (during construction) and wanted to stay at some point.

No place is without flaws, but even with the fees, they come in well below the neighboring Epcot resorts...over 50% less for our last trip. So, we got the room after fees at the price of a mod with all of the convenience of an Epcot resort. Additionally, great view for a significantly lower price tag.

AD5BD03C-211F-4EE6-9544-75230657E7AD.png

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

If you couldn’t already guess, I don’t think they’re outdated and I love the nostalgic vibe I get from them. I believe it was our 1988 trip when I first saw the dolphins on top (during construction) and wanted to stay at some point.

No place is without flaws, but even with the fees, they come in well below the neighboring Epcot resorts...over 50% less for our last trip. So, we got the room after fees at the price of a mod with all of the convenience of an Epcot resort. Additionally, great view for a significantly lower price tag.

This! We've stayed at the Swan a couple of times now, and we love it. Epcot is our favorite park (for better or for worse, heh) and the proximity is outstanding, as are the options to get there; bus, boat or walk. Anything closer is at least double the price (more so if you shop around on your Swan reservation). At the Swan/Dolphin you pay for Moderate but get Deluxe accomodations. The only downside is no DME and you can't charge to your MB (which is kind of a bummer, granted).

Last edited:

Minthorne

Not sorry for being pedantic... they're not bulbs in that they aren't lights. They're just 'crystals.'

Not to be pedantic, but being a bulb has nothing to do with light and all to do with shape.

bulb
bəlb/
noun
  1. 1.
    a rounded underground storage organ present in some plants, notably those of the lily family, consisting of a short stem surrounded by fleshy scale leaves or leaf bases and lying dormant over winter.
  2. 2.
    an object with a rounded or teardrop shape like a bulb, in particular.

HouCuseChickie

This! We've stayed at the Swan a couple of times now, and we love it. Epcot is our favorite park (for better or for worse, heh) and the proximity is outstanding, as are the options to get there; bus, boat or walk. Anything closer is at least double the price (more so if you shop around on your Swan reservation). At the Swan/Dolphin you pay for Moderate but get Deluxe accomodations. The only downside is no MDE and you can't charge to your MB (which is kind of a bummer, granted).

My Swan reservation actually linked up to MDE this time. I think I'd booked through Orbitz, but it took about 24 hours for the systems to sync up so I could link it up on the Disney side. I'm not sure when it all became possible, but I think it was done so that Swan/Dolphin guests could partake in the FP booking at 60 days perk. We also missed not being able to charge to our MBs and I missed having our MB function as our room key. The only other "perk" I kind of missed was 180+10/length of stay dining booking, but I'm starting to find that last minute ADRs are more successful with the popular spots than doing it at 180.

BoarderPhreak

My Swan reservation actually linked up to MDE this time. I think I'd booked through Orbitz, but it took about 24 hours for the systems to sync up so I could link it up on the Disney side. I'm not sure when it all became possible, but I think it was done so that Swan/Dolphin guests could partake in the FP booking at 60 days perk. We also missed not being able to charge to our MBs and I missed having our MB function as our room key. The only other "perk" I kind of missed was 180+10/length of stay dining booking, but I'm starting to find that last minute ADRs are more successful with the popular spots than doing it at 180.
My bad - I meant DME (Disney's Magical Express) - I fixed the post above.

But speaking of MDE (My Disney Experience), like you I bought our Swan reservation through a third party. It too took some time before they were linked. FP worked as expected, and I booked ADR at the same time as FP so I didn't really notice/mind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to be pedantic, but being a bulb has nothing to do with light and all to do with shape.

bulb
bəlb/
noun
  1. 1.
    a rounded underground storage organ present in some plants, notably those of the lily family, consisting of a short stem surrounded by fleshy scale leaves or leaf bases and lying dormant over winter.
  2. 2.
    an object with a rounded or teardrop shape like a bulb, in particular.

Most purposely being pedantic... ( ;) ), the crystals being referred to are symmetrical in shape, and therefore, not 'bulbs.' Being 'rounded' is not the same as 'round'. Also, contextually, the originator of this linguistic to-do almost certainly meant 'bulb' as shorthand for 'lightbulb' since the crystals aren't bulb-shaped.

LUVofDIS

Most purposely being pedantic... ( ;) ), the crystals being referred to are symmetrical in shape, and therefore, not 'bulbs.' Being 'rounded' is not the same as 'round'. Also, contextually, the originator of this linguistic to-do almost certainly meant 'bulb' as shorthand for 'lightbulb' since the crystals aren't bulb-shaped.

Actually I was thinking more like the ornaments we hung on our Christmas tree. We use to call the them Christmas bulbs. But whatever, it seems obvious that everyone understood what was meant. Technically you are probably correct and probably in the future I will just call them crystals, either way I love looking at them.

LUVofDIS

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that you cant make ADR's 180 days out. We have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times and have always been able to make ADR's at the 180 day mark. As stated, we also make FP+ 60 days out.

Also, are you saying that you were able to schedule DME while staying at the Swan and Dolphin? This is something we have not been able to do, that and charging to our MB and using our MB as a room key.

HouCuseChickie

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that you cant make ADR's 180 days out. We have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times and have always been able to make ADR's at the 180 day mark. As stated, we also make FP+ 60 days out.

Also, are you saying that you were able to schedule DME while staying at the Swan and Dolphin? This is something we have not been able to do, that and charging to our MB and using our MB as a room key.

180 on the dot...yes, but anyone can book 180 on the dot. You must be staying at a Disney owned and operated resort to get 180 + 10/length of stay booking for ADRs on day 180. The Swan and Dolphin are not Disney owned and operated, so they don't qualify for this perk.

Not DME...I was talking about linking up my reservation using MDE. I was responding to another poster who noted MDE, but they had just transposed the letters and meant they couldn't use DME, which was clarified in a subsequent post.

LUVofDIS

180 on the dot...yes, but anyone can book 180 on the dot. You must be staying at a Disney owned and operated resort to get 180 + 10/length of stay booking for ADRs on day 180. The Swan and Dolphin are not Disney owned and operated, so they don't qualify for this perk.

I was just looking as far back as 2013 and we made our ADR 180 +10 days and we were staying at the Dolphin or the Swan. In 2017 we moved from Pop to the Dolphin, this was a two week stay and we made all our ADR's through the whole vacation.

HouCuseChickie

I was just looking as far back as 2013 and we made our ADR 180 +10 days and we were staying at the Dolphin or the Swan. In 2017 we moved from Pop to the Dolphin, this was a two week stay and we made all our ADR's through the whole vacation.

It may have been the Pop portion where the system permitted you to do this because it’s not the norm....or maybe a very nice system glitch in your favor. All of the various planning and info sites state this perk is not extended to S&D guests. S&D’s site also doesn’t include it in the perks they get.

I usually don’t stay there for this very reason. My parents and brother’s family are FL residents and have stayed there a lot over the years because of the nice FL resident rates. They always have me book all of the dining if we’re tagging along but staying in a Disney resort since they don’t get this perk. Of course they’ve tried, but the system doesn’t recognize it as an eligible booking for said perk.

Looks like this came up last year too and general consensus was that it’s not a perk there. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dolphin-180-10.926903/

Robbiem

I dont have an issue with the architecture, it might scream post modern 80s but its gone through the looked dated cycle all new buildings have and now look like a classic from the past, rather like the 60s modernism of the contemporary. My biggest issue is their location and the impact on sight lines at Epcot if they had been built somewhere you couldnt see from the parks like seven seas lagoon or Disney springs i think people might have different opinions

deeevo

We have always stayed on property and for the first time my wife and I are straying at the Swan this weekend. Now that WD charges a parking fee it was the same price as FQ with my AP discount including tax and everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom