The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Oops @donaldtoo and @figmentfan423 I didn’t mean to quote you above, so pretend I did it here. ;)

You guys weren’t required to have your own bat when you were a kid? I was.

My dad played in a competitive softball league until @ 40s when he his hips and shoulders (4th shoulder surgery) all needed to be replaced. My father is why I’m one of the few parents who aren’t complaining about the “new”-ish pitch count rules. I saw what a few decades of baseball did to my dad’s body.

I’m not understanding the complaints about the new bat rules. I don’t even think Dick’s or any baseball shop sells bats that aren’t regulation. Maybe they do though.

We’re not in Little League, but our bat standards sound similar. Bats come in a wide range of price points and quality though, same with gloves, or cleats etc.. I don’t think the rules required every family purchase a $200 bat for the young kids. I hope not, baseball gear is expensive, but still less than sports like lacrosse which would be the competing same-season sport, so hopefully that would keep them in. I’d hate to see more kids quit baseball. The US is losing enough already. :(

Last edited:

Cesar R M

@figmentfan423 I just finished Star Trek: Discovery.

This is torture. I've never had to wait for the next season of a Star Trek show. Now I watch all fifteen episodes of the season within a week and have no clue when they're giving me more?

Torture, I tell you.:hilarious:

Also being spoiled by living in the 21st century.

So is the real Captain Lorca alive do you think? And what about Ash? Is he coming back? Good grief, I want him to come back so badly, and not just because the actor is eye candy. Do you see what I mean by TORTURE!:mad::hilarious:
I bet the other captain is being held by some other third party force. Who knows. He might also be dead based no the Buran problem.
Because what is implied in the series is kinda contradicted in one book.

But yeah that was a giant surprise when the reveal came.

As for the next season.. I now wonder who will do what classic character now that the ships have meet.

I mean, if they convinced both M. Yeoh and Jason Isaacs.. I wonder if they might convince Zachary Quinto, Bruce Greenwood or any of the movies guys..

Last edited:

Cesar R M

@figmentfan423

Non-spoiler, but wouldn't it be cool if one of Dax's previous hosts (I believe Audrid would be the correct one) would appear? Now that would be cool.

I mean, we already know we're getting Captain Pike, so why not other characters from other series as well? Who knows, we might even get Spock, though I cannot accept anyone else except Zachary Quinto as Spock now that Leonard Nimoy has passed.

Ahem...
giphy.gif

:hilarious:
Nerds unite...

(3:44ms, sassy donatello time)

B9A6Yuo.gif

MySmallWorldof4

I just wanted to comment on the leasing comments.

I’ve been leasing for most of my adult life.. sometimes I Buy when I know I’ll be driving more than 20k miles per year.. I’ve leased 7 cars though.
Quick breakdown on the comparison-

Lease Benefits-
Bank assumes Risk.
Typically lower payments than a purchase.
Only pay taxes on the price of the lease, not the price of the car.
At the end of your lease you have 3 Options-
Turn in. Buy. Trade. (You can actually trade or buy-out at any point, not just the end)
If you have equity in your car- you can use that equity and trade in.
If you have negative equity- you simply hand in your car.

Where people get most confused on leasing is- it’s really no different than financing a car when it comes to trading, you’re actually in a better position because your taxes were less, which means less chance of negative.

As far as “accidents” there’s no difference between lease or buy, your insurance handles it exactly the same.

Imo, unless someone keeps their car 8+ years, probably 10+ based on most vehicle prices, or drives over 17k miles per year- then there’s absolutely no reason to “buy”.

Leasing does also include GAP insurance from most brands, which is an added bonus..and including that makes a low down payment attractive, compared to a buy where you should put at least all of your taxes, fees, and some towards the price of the vehicle itself (especially now that interest rates are higher than they’ve been in several years).

Luxury brands usually include service, Honda and Chevy (as well as other brands) do not... but you can pay for it ahead of time and roll it into your lease.

If you know you’re going to be buying a new car every few years,. Or are fickle and get easily wooed by new technology.. leasing is by far the best option, buying will just end up costing so much money if you trade that quickly.. a car is the most depreciating asset one can buy.. but people get so stuck on “buy” as opposed to lease.. you just have to remember that if your “buy” is actually a bank loaning you the money to buy, then the bank owns our car, not us. ;) The majority of Americans never actually end up paying off their car, therefore they never actually owned it.

Some do pay off their loans and keep the vehicles for at least a few years after doing so, they’re the only people who are getting their money’s worth, and it would be a waste of money for someone like that to lease.

Hope this was helpful!!
I like how you broke down lease versus buy. We paid off 4 cars. Traded in 3 of those. Working on paying off another one. Own one outright which will be the one the kids learn on. I am not a fan of how interest rates are rising. It waa nice when you could get 0% financing.
Forgot to mention that we did lease a few as well. It was nice to get a new car after a few years. I will say that our issue is mileage. They want you to drive no more than 12k in those low mileage leases. That doesn’t work for us. I remember when leases offered 15k a year for a decent payment. @StarWarsGirl could also buy an off lease vehicle or a dealer car which would save a lot of money. Our Suburban was driven buy the dealership owner and had just under 6k on it. It waa already on sale for a few thousand and they gave us another 6k off for the mileage. It was still considered a new car because it had low mileage.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I just wanted to comment on the leasing comments.

I’ve been leasing for most of my adult life.. sometimes I Buy when I know I’ll be driving more than 20k miles per year.. I’ve leased 7 cars though.

Quick breakdown on the comparison-

Lease Benefits-
Bank assumes Risk.
Typically lower payments than a purchase.
Only pay taxes on the price of the lease, not the price of the car.
At the end of your lease you have 3 Options-
Turn in. Buy. Trade. (You can actually trade or buy-out at any point, not just the end)
If you have equity in your car- you can use that equity and trade in.
If you have negative equity- you simply hand in your car.

Where people get most confused on leasing is- it’s really no different than financing a car when it comes to trading, you’re actually in a better position because your taxes were less, which means less chance of negative.

As far as “accidents” there’s no difference between lease or buy, your insurance handles it exactly the same.

Imo, unless someone keeps their car 8+ years, probably 10+ based on most vehicle prices, or drives over 17k miles per year- then there’s absolutely no reason to “buy”.

Leasing does also include GAP insurance from most brands, which is an added bonus..and including that makes a low down payment attractive, compared to a buy where you should put at least all of your taxes, fees, and some towards the price of the vehicle itself (especially now that interest rates are higher than they’ve been in several years).

Luxury brands usually include service, Honda and Chevy (as well as other brands) do not... but you can pay for it ahead of time and roll it into your lease.

If you know you’re going to be buying a new car every few years,. Or are fickle and get easily wooed by new technology.. leasing is by far the best option, buying will just end up costing so much money if you trade that quickly.. a car is the most depreciating asset one can buy.. but people get so stuck on “buy” as opposed to lease.. you just have to remember that if your “buy” is actually a bank loaning you the money to buy, then the bank owns our car, not us. ;) The majority of Americans never actually end up paying off their car, therefore they never actually owned it.

Some do pay off their loans and keep the vehicles for at least a few years after doing so, they’re the only people who are getting their money’s worth, and it would be a waste of money for someone like that to lease.

Hope this was helpful!!

This was helpful, as it's good to hear from someone who has leased (multiple times for you). Thanks for sharing all that.

Figgy1

Premium Member
@figmentfan423 I just finished Star Trek: Discovery.

This is torture. I've never had to wait for the next season of a Star Trek show. Now I watch all fifteen episodes of the season within a week and have no clue when they're giving me more?

Torture, I tell you.:hilarious:

Also being spoiled by living in the 21st century.

So is the real Captain Lorca alive do you think? And what about Ash? Is he coming back? Good grief, I want him to come back so badly, and not just because the actor is eye candy. Do you see what I mean by TORTURE!:mad::hilarious:
Patience young Padawan, we'll know in September:joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
@figmentfan423

Non-spoiler, but wouldn't it be cool if one of Dax's previous hosts (I believe Audrid would be the correct one) would appear? Now that would be cool.

I mean, we already know we're getting Captain Pike, so why not other characters from other series as well? Who knows, we might even get Spock, though I cannot accept anyone else except Zachary Quinto as Spock now that Leonard Nimoy has passed.

Ahem...
giphy.gif

:hilarious:
That would be cool!!!!
Shatner showing up somehow, Chris Pine of course

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oops @donaldtoo and @figmentfan423 I didn’t mean to quote you above, so pretend I did it here. ;)

You guys weren’t required to have your own bat when you were a kid? I was.

My dad played in a competitive softball league until @ 40s when he his hips and shoulders (4th shoulder surgery) all needed to be replaced. My father is why I’m one of the few parents who aren’t complaining about the “new”-ish pitch count rules. I saw what a few decades of baseball did to my dad’s body.

I’m not understanding the complaints about the new bat rules. I don’t even think ****’s or any baseball shop sells bats that aren’t regulation. Maybe they do though.

We’re not in Little League, but our bat standards sound similar. Bats come in a wide range of price points and quality though, same with gloves, or cleats etc.. I don’t think the rules required every family purchase a $200 bat for the young kids. I hope not, baseball gear is expensive, but still less than sports like lacrosse which would be the competing same-season sport, so hopefully that would keep them in. I’d hate to see more kids quit baseball. The US is losing enough already. :(
Nope just a mitt. Everything else was supplied by the leagues:joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom