Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
IIRC, the Paris Studio Park only opened with 3 rides - RnR, Backlot Tour and the Aladdin spinner. There were shows, but the park needed more from Day 1. I am glad DLSP is finally getting the attention it deserves. It may finally be a worthy sister park to the beautiful DLP.
Yep. Opening day / year was.....

...drum roll....

RnRC
"Backlot" Tour
Studio “Tour”
Aladdin spinner
Magic of Disney Animation
Animagique
Cinemagique
Armageddon
Moteurs Action!

Eisner was right when he admitted it was underbuilt at opening.

Brian Swan

Those food sides seem like an odd choice. I’m good with the tater tots but like a bisque soup and noodle salad? I don’t remember those from my childhood. “No thanks mom, I don’t want Mac and cheese. Bring me more of that bisque soup!!”
Calling it "bisque" is a bit pretentious, but a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup is as iconic a memory of a Saturday lunch as a kid as I can remember...

michmousefan

I've been way to busy recently with work to post much; but, I wouldn't let a golden opportunity to share a story or two (that until reading the last few posts brought suddenly back to my memory) pass me by.

Disaster Transport.

Having spent two of the best summers of my life working at the Point, I now have 100% crystal clear recollection of two things about the artist formally known as Avalanche Run.

- When you sign up to work at CP, if you are "lucky" enough to have your school schedule get you out early to come to the Point before the season starts, you get "drafted" into all sorts of spring cleaning/maintenance activities. Sometimes those are tons of fun (like say riding Magnum XL-200 for hours on end to help train the ride crew). Sometimes those activities approach Dante's Inferno rings of the underworld levels of monotony. One such activity was having the "joy" of riding Disaster Transport for an entire afternoon OVER and OVER again. When I mean over and over... I mean as in never getting out. We got to stay in from the unload platform to the load platform - you just simply had to duck your head as you went underneath the hanging fabric separating the two sections.

At least you were inside... I have vivid memories of riding Mine Ride, wedged into one of those uncomfortable cars in a 50-degree drizzle over and over again...

Kman101

Hey, compared to Pixar Pier at DCA, this is freaking Cars Land. Agree, though, neither P. Pier nor TS Land are going to do down as Imagineering's proudest moments.

Yeah, neither is an amazing feat. One serves a solid purpose (though YMMV and I wish they had at least added a few more flat rides and of course I'd prefer a REAL dark ride, not TSMania). The other is overlayed for no reason other than synergy and marketing. Not this thread, but it's cute when people try to say one or the other is better. Personally I'm more embarrassed by Pixar Pier. How they can promote that and charge that much money for a preview of it is beyond me. They must be high fiving on a daily basis at how stupid we all are.

And I was dead yesterday reading the boasting of Donald's Dino-Bash. They really think these things are amazing ideas. Are they all drunk on a regular basis? Is California green really that good?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, neither is an amazing feat. One serves a solid purpose (though YMMV and I wish they had at least added a few more flat rides and of course I'd prefer a REAL dark ride, not TSMania). The other is overlayed for no reason other than synergy and marketing. Not this thread, but it's cute when people try to say one or the other is better. Personally I'm more embarrassed by Pixar Pier. How they can promote that and charge that much money for a preview of it is beyond me. They must be high fiving on a daily basis at how stupid we all are.

While I don't think "Pixar" is a good "theme" for a land, I was kinda impressed by the story they created for the pier's roller coaster. I hope the execution of the story is done well and isn't too abstract or cut out flat-board-y (i.e., cheap).

Also, the more they can keep the "neighborhoods" distinct from one another, the less mish-mashy it should be.

Kman101

While I don't think "Pixar" is a good "theme" for a land, I was kinda impressed by the story they created for the pier's roller coaster. I hope the execution of the story is done well and isn't too abstract or cut out flat-board-y (i.e., cheap).

Also, the more they can keep the "neighborhoods" distinct from one another, the less mish-mashy it should be.

Agreed on the coaster.

I also think some of the exterior plussing is actually an improvement.

My biggest issue, oddly, remains the ridiculous food carts. And the concern for a mish-mash. Not really sure they need to follow through with the Inside Out flyer thing, personally.

It's a mess but I think it has some plusses hidden in there.

The pier was a nice (I can't deny it photographs well), but lazy way to get some added attractions into the park at the time. That's always been what it is. It's always been a bit overpraised. But it's interesting that flat rides and swings are OK in California but Florida adds flat rides in a park lacking in attractions (and again, I get YMMV on liking what they chose and I agree we should have had more added to TSL but I think it being bigger will actually be a plus to the land and not feel so small and cramped) and it's a travesty.

Jones14

Agreed on the coaster.

I also think some of the exterior plussing is actually an improvement.

My biggest issue, oddly, remains the ridiculous food carts. And the concern for a mish-mash. Not really sure they need to follow through with the Inside Out flyer thing, personally.

It's a mess but I think it has some plusses hidden in there.

The pier was a nice (I can't deny it photographs well), but lazy way to get some added attractions into the park at the time. That's always been what it is. It's always been a bit overpraised. But it's interesting that flat rides and swings are OK in California but Florida adds flat rides in a park lacking in attractions (and again, I get YMMV on liking what they chose and I agree we should have had more added to TSL but I think it being bigger will actually be a plus to the land and not feel so small and cramped) and it's a travesty.
I think there’s also something to be said about TSL going all in on Andy’s backyard versus the ‘you’re still on a pier, but Pixar’ conceit. Plus, TSL will actually add capacity to the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom