Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriolesmagic

No, I believe Brazil is still top of the list.

It's always seemed a bit odd to have no South American representation in the World Showcase and I would expect that this is the main reason why Brazil is the favorite. Marni, I'm not sure if you know at this point, but is the reason that this appears to be in a bit of a holding-pattern due to a lack of a willing sponsor for the pavilion?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's always seemed a bit odd to have no South American representation in the World Showcase and I would expect that this is the main reason why Brazil is the favorite. Marni, I'm not sure if you know at this point, but is the reason that this appears to be in a bit of a holding-pattern due to a lack of a willing sponsor for the pavilion?
Last I knew there was a (large) sponsor.

trainplane3

Last I knew there was a (large) sponsor.
Just for fun I Googled "large Brazilian company" and I got a 4 year old, but nicely summarized result:
  • Telefonica S.A. (telecommunications) ...
  • Previ (pension fund) ...
  • Telemar Participacoes (telecommunications) ...
  • BBD Participacoes (finance) ...
  • Stichting Gerdau Johannpeter (steel) ...
  • Wilkes Participacoes (retail) ...
  • Blessed Holdings (food processing) ...
  • Banco Santander S.A. (finance)
Sourced from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anders...he-20-companies-that-own-brazil/#6ae12e702ec9
Would you know if one of the possible sponsors is on that list?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just for fun I Googled "large Brazilian company" and I got a 4 year old, but nicely summarized result:
Sourced from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anders...he-20-companies-that-own-brazil/#6ae12e702ec9
I would know, but given the hold up originally was legal mumbo jumbo with said sponsor, I shouldn’t say.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Banco Santander is a huge company. Probably in the top 100 worldwide, but I thought they were headquartered in Spain. They certainly have deep enough pockets and are very active in the US and Europe as well so it would make some sense from a marketing prospective.

mk1971

I would bet all my chips on Blessed Holdings, which is the owner of JBS - the biggest Meat Company in Brazil. The owners of JBS also own Alpargatas, which is the company that makes Havaianas flip flops.

Havaianas has a store on Disney Springs and were a sponsor at D23 Expo 2017.

I actually said that in a previous post, I believe that if a Brazilian pavillion is built, they will be one of the sponsors, they would own the pavillions's restaurant (possibly a Brazillian Steakhouse) and there will probably be an Havaianas store in the pavilion.

The problem is that the owners of Blessed Holdings/JBS/Alpargatas (brothers Joesley and Wesley Batista) are involved in a huge corruption scandal in Brazil and they were actually arrested. They are in prision right now, so I believe that's the "legal mumbo jumbo" that @marni1971 mentioned.

aladdin2007

I would bet all my chips on Blessed Holdings, which is the owner of JBS - the biggest Meat Company in Brazil. The owners of JBS also own Alpargatas, which is the company that makes Havaianas flip flops.

Havaianas has a store on Disney Springs and were a sponsor at D23 Expo 2017.

I actually said that in a previous post, I believe that if a Brazilian pavillion is built, they will be one of the sponsors, they would own the pavillions's restaurant (possibly a Brazillian Steakhouse) and there will probably be an Havaianas store in the pavilion.

The problem is that the owners of Blessed Holdings/JBS/Alpargatas (brothers Joesley and Wesley Batista) are involved in a huge corruption scandal in Brazil and they were actually arrested. They are in prision right now, so I believe that's the "legal mumbo jumbo" that @marni1971 mentioned.

They are also sold, a bit ironically location wise, in the African Outpost.

WowFactor

It seems plausible. Disney and Alpargatas are solid partners since 2015 and the flip flops are being sold on more than 20 spots in WDW. They are beloved in Brasil and already have a lot of cobranded products.
disney+brasil_C_preto.jpg

Princess Leia

It seems plausible. Disney and Alpargatas are solid partners since 2015 and the flip flops are being sold on more than 20 spots in WDW. They are beloved in Brasil and already have a lot of cobranded products.
disney+brasil_C_preto.jpg
Alright, so going by the flags depicted on the shoes, we’re getting pavilions for Argentina, Brazil, Uraguy, Portugal and Spain? ;) The UK pavilion is apparently being switched to only England, all the time, based on the Cross of St George being included.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Just noticed the Netherlands are represented on the shoes as well.

And no flags for Mexico, Norway, China, Morocco, or Canada.

Possible reasons for exclusion:
Mexico = Direct competition
Norway = onde está a noruega?
China = shadow owners of Brazil
Morocco = one of those countries with the "dirty foot" theory
Canada = doesn't import enough Brazilian beef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom