Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All those are additions to existing hotels except Saratoga Springs so I don't see the connection
Now if dianey builds this hotel and then shoehorns a dvc section then I'm right there with you

Those are the only things they’ve built except for one repurpsed value since 2000. That’s the “connection”

twebber55

Those are the only things they’ve built except for one repurpsed value since 2000. That’s the “connection”
I think you are reaching right now but if you want to condemn something before we know what or where it will be built im good with the that
also what is PCQ?

Last edited:

flyerjab

For the record, our home resort are the Villas at the Grand Floridian. The outside is definitely less in terms of intricate detailing. That being said, the rooms are the best of all of the DVC and regular resort rooms. The furniture, trim work, color palette, etc. are all exceptionally done. Also, the decor of the lobby and the fountain with the Mary Poppons penguins are beautiful. It translates very well from the main building’s internal theming.

One post I saw earlier in this thread commented on the lack of trees around the building. That I will agree with by on the whole I find this DVC addition to be very elegant; a more subtle addition to the rest of the resort but with absolutely beautifully appointed rooms. Please note that most of what I speak of are aesthetic choices that I know are heavily steeped in opinion.

Animaniac93-98

For the record, our home resort are the Villas at the Grand Floridian. The outside is definitely less in terms of intricate detailing. That being said, the rooms are the best of all of the DVC and regular resort rooms. The furniture, trim work, color palette, etc. are all exceptionally done. Also, the decor of the lobby and the fountain with the Mary Poppons penguins are beautiful. It translates very well from the main building’s internal theming.

One post I saw earlier in this thread commented on the lack of trees around the building. That I will agree with by on the whole I find this DVC addition to be very elegant; a more subtle addition to the rest of the resort but with absolutely beautifully appointed rooms. Please note that most of what I speak of are aesthetic choices that I know are heavily steeped in opinion.

I agree the rooms/interior look nice, but you could still have all of that with a building that better fits the scale/shape of the rest of the resort.

Like sticking Rapunzel's tower next to Haunted Mansion, this isn't an issue of budget, but simply poor design choices.

Kman101

I know it's "old", but I've always felt they got the Wilderness Lodge DVC wing right. They got all the extra bits on the roof, kept it at the same or lesser height, and blended it into the trees around it. If the roof wasn't red, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The cabins were a nice recent addition, but I feel there are too many. But then again, if there's a demand... Poly's bungalows go pretty well with the Pacific island theme, personally.

I'm glad we're coming out of stagnant mode now at the very least. Major additions are happening after what, a decade of next to nothing major aside from NFL?

I haven't examined WL that closely in a long time. I'll have to compare the buildings, I've never really done that. I do think the cabins look nice. I like the new restaurant they put up.

I'm very happy we're out of stagnation but lots more work needs to be done. But it's a great start, IMHO. Who'd have ever thought we'd see so much construction going on? YMMV on liking everything but FINALLY things are happening again. I just hope they keep the momentum. I need to start hearing DHS will get some more attention after SW and TSL/MMRR open. Indy in Dinosaur doesn't work for me. Two steps forward, two steps backwards. I wish they'd stop replacing things ....

Kman101

I'm not worried about the inside ;) But they've made some decisions there I don't agree with either.

But agreed, it's all just our own opinion. But, again, personally, I don't have high confidence in them with hotels.

Kman101

I agree the rooms/interior look nice, but you could still have all of that with a building that better fits the scale/shape of the rest of the resort.

Like sticking Rapunzel's tower next to Haunted Mansion, this isn't an issue of budget, but simply poor design choices.

Yep. They put Rapunzel's toilets in the wrong spot. Should have been put over by the Village Haus leading into the new areas. Do something else with that area.

They've made a lot of poor decisions (I guess YMMV on thinking they're "poor decisions" or not). A lot of us have every right to be wary, lol.

EDIT: Sorry all I know some hate posts after each other. I forget I'm in the same thread and replying. Will try to remember multi-quote ;)

flyerjab

I'm not worried about the inside ;) But they've made some decisions there I don't agree with either.

But agreed, it's all just our own opinion. But, again, personally, I don't have high confidence in them with hotels.

😊 Fine with disagreeing here. I always enjoy your posts, even when we disagree.

I don’t have the issues that others do regarding the resorts or DVC additions. Obviously loved the GFV or else we wouldn’t have purchased there. And I think that the entire Poly DVC area is beautiful, especially the enhanced pool area. I also love the look of the cabins and the grounds at the WL. The open air restaurant at that location is beautiful. Again, simply my opinion.

Kman101

😊 Fine with disagreeing here. I always enjoy your posts, even when we disagree.

I don’t have the issues that others do regarding the resorts or DVC additions. Obviously loved the GFV or else we wouldn’t have purchased there. And I think that the entire Poly DVC area is beautiful, especially the enhanced pool area. I also love the look of the cabins and the grounds at the WL. The open air restaurant at that location is beautiful. Again, simply my opinion.

I love your posts and your love for Animal Kingdom. I'm right there with ya. No worries on disagreeing, personal taste and all that. Always fun to see how differently we all view things.

I'm probably being a tad overcritical. I'm just not 100% on many things they've done (mostly the choices with the hotels; I think they can do a ride correctly if the budget is there, so I typically trust them to do it right in a lot of other areas, but it's definitely mixed), not that they're necessarily horrible or bad, just disagreeing with some of the design choices, personal taste and all that :). For whatever reason I just don't trust them to do it right with the Epcot front entrance hotel. Thankfully I guess we don't have to worry about it. I do think it COULD work, so I'm not entirely against the thought. I just can't bring myself to think they'd do a good job. I don't like thinking like that, lol, but I can't help how I feel. Would love to be proven wrong.

Amazing how they can get some things so right and then do things so wrong. AK's improvements were top notch. Now we get a lackluster (and it didn't need to be) new bird show and Indy in AK. Again, neither has to be the worst decision ever but they take the lazy way out. It's just a bit frustrating.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you are reaching right now but if you want to condemn something before we know what or where it will be built im good with the that
You can believe I’m reaching all you want. I was with an early group to see the last completed fully themed hotel - DAK lodge...and I was at the groundbreaking of pop.

And ever since....it’s been retrofits for DVC and modular add on blocks.

What have I missed?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love your posts and your love for Animal Kingdom. I'm right there with ya. No worries on disagreeing, personal taste and all that. Always fun to see how differently we all view things.

I'm probably being a tad overcritical. I'm just not 100% on many things they've done (mostly the choices with the hotels; I think they can do a ride correctly if the budget is there, so I typically trust them to do it right in a lot of other areas, but it's definitely mixed), not that they're necessarily horrible or bad, just disagreeing with some of the design choices, personal taste and all that :). For whatever reason I just don't trust them to do it right with the Epcot front entrance hotel. Thankfully I guess we don't have to worry about it. I do think it COULD work, so I'm not entirely against the thought. I just can't bring myself to think they'd do a good job. I don't like thinking like that, lol, but I can't help how I feel. Would love to be proven wrong.

Amazing how they can get some things so right and then do things so wrong. AK's improvements were top notch. Now we get a lackluster (and it didn't need to be) new bird show and Indy in AK. Again, neither has to be the worst decision ever but they take the lazy way out. It's just a bit frustrating.

Right now, Indy and an Epcot hotel are as likely as live interactive unicorns and elves to meet and greet.

So don’t get too worked up about this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

But I'd love these things to go away.

But they're bad decisions. So of course they'll follow through with them ;)

Not nearly as high of a percentage as is made out to be...distributed by the “E-Nuts” for 20 years...

There have been hundreds if not thousands of “rumors” that have come out of mid air. The Epcot entry hotel doesn’t make sense from any viable angles.

montyz81

Is this idea of a hotel in front of EC a reimagined idea they had a few years ago of putting a hotel into WS?
I also thought the hotel in front of EC was at risk of being chopped? Did I miss something?

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

My Ideas for an Epcot Overhaul:

Close:
The Seas With Nemo & Friends (current incarnation)
Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable (when it was open)
Journey Through Imagination With Figment
Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
Universe of Energy (when it was open)
Festival Center (Wonders of Life)
Grand Fiesta Tour

Open:
Marine Life Institute With Nemo & Friends
Nick & Judy Hopp's Environmental Fable
Figment & Dreamfinder's Journey Through Imagination
Figment's 3-D Adventure
Guardians of the Galaxy: Quest for Energy
Imagination West (Wonders of Life): Inside Out: Tour Through Emotions (Dark Ride)
Coco's Day of the Dead
Mary Poppins Adventure (In UK Pavilion)
Ratatouille: Remy's Adventure

What do you think of a Futurama themed area? Can have the ride etc based on the IP and it would be easier to always update the tech and showcase as they wouldn't need to update the ride itself because that would be a cartoon ride/projection. I think that IP would blend in well at Epcot or Futureland at MK.

I approve! If majority-IP is the direction Epcot is going in, this is the best possible outcome. Although, I'd love to have a DisneyNature film specific to Epcot in the Harvest Theatre.

Assuming the acquisition of Fox goes through, I would think DisneyNature would fold into NatGeo. A whole NatGeo area with a DisneyNature section would be ace at Epcot though.

LOL. Why don't you apply for an Imagineering position? I'm sure they'd be honored to have you in their presence.

Disney World is better every time I return. I'd say that bad decisions are the exception.

I am not gonna tell you how I know this, but I know it with 100% certainty. There are a bunch of idiots who are high up at Disney, both in CA and FL. A lot of people want to work there, but not for those fools.

matt9112

Here's one of the arrogant comments we were talking about.

I think y'all don't want to block the view of the Golf Ball from the parking lot? (Is that the big gripe?) That's just not a big deal AT ALL. It would be more impressive, frankly, to have it revealed as you are walking in - like at the MK.

you called it the golf ball....I cant take any further commentary from you serious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom