News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Jambo Joe

Let’s get back to this thread - Guardians Coaster. I am really looking forward to this addition. I think the re-use of the old Energy pavilion is clever - it’s an interesting legacy building that works in its new context. I am encouraged by the clever handling of the source material at Mission Breakout at DL.

To those that mourn the old Epcot - I agree to a degree that no cohesive theme for FW has been outlined. However, I would temper that a little. FW has lacked a clear plan since before the turn of the century to keep the original exhibits relevant. Not sure how someone could be that passionate about the Ellen’s Energy Adventure iteration - it was a 40 plus minute snoozer. when it was still open regularly a few years ago - there was never s line.

The Empress Lilly

Let’s get back to this thread - Guardians Coaster. I am really looking forward to this addition. I think the re-use of the old Energy pavilion is clever - it’s an interesting legacy building that works in its new context. I am encouraged by the clever handling of the source material at Mission Breakout at DL.

To those that mourn the old Epcot - I agree to a degree that no cohesive theme for FW has been outlined. However, I would temper that a little. FW has lacked a clear plan since before the turn of the century to keep the original exhibits relevant. Not sure how someone could be that passionate about the Ellen’s Energy Adventure iteration - it was a 40 plus minute snoozer. when it was still open regularly a few years ago - there was never s line.
Few mourn the Ellen overlay. EPCOT fans mourn the loss of Universe of Energy. The pavilion could've been made awesome again with a fresh rethink. For example, with the Big Bang proposal.

Kman101

Very few are passionate about Ellen's version. The fans mourn the loss of Universe of Energy and what it could have been again.

You can want what you want, but no need to cut down those who appreciated what was there and what could be again.

Guardians into Tower of Terror is more 'fun'. Sadly fans eat it up as if it's the best thing ever. Wonder how said guests will feel 10 years from now? And I really love the Guardians movies. But I didn't want it in the Tower and I don't want it in Future World. People like things that are new and kewl so it's not a surprise Disneylander's accept it and flock to it and think it's the bestest ever. They'll be crowing about Pixar Pier too (except on our boards, of course, which has Disneylander's that don't eat up everything they do).

Enjoy Guardians but don't more or less tell the rest of us to basically 'get over it'. (Maybe not your intent but that's how it came across; a different opinion is more than fine, but it's the usual "you better jump on board")

montyz81

Very few are passionate about Ellen's version. The fans mourn the loss of Universe of Energy and what it could have been again.

You can want what you want, but no need to cut down those who appreciated what was there and what could be again.

Guardians into Tower of Terror is more 'fun'. Sadly fans eat it up as if it's the best thing ever. Wonder how said guests will feel 10 years from now? And I really love the Guardians movies. But I didn't want it in the Tower and I don't want it in Future World. People like things that are new and kewl so it's not a surprise Disneylander's accept it and flock to it and think it's the bestest ever. They'll be crowing about Pixar Pier too (except on our boards, of course, which has Disneylander's that don't eat up everything they do).

Enjoy Guardians but don't more or less tell the rest of us to basically 'get over it'. (Maybe not your intent but that's how it came across; a different opinion is more than fine, but it's the usual "you better jump on board")
Well said! Movies have a shelf life, even Star Wars and Marvel. Educating people through entertainment has infinite material! I think what fans morn the most in the replacement of UoE is the irreversable road that this brings FW down. As more IPs come and force the gutting of rides away from the original intent of FW, there is less chance we will see that theme come back. Just my $.02

Bairstow

Are there really that many people who miss the original attraction, or just people who like the idea of the first attraction and the original EPCOT concept in general? Of all the original pavilions, Energy was by far the least interesting and the least successful, and its mammoth 45-minute running time was never justified. The common fan reservation of the Guardians replacement is that it continues the trend of replacing 1980s-style edutainment with bankable movie IP, not that it's robbing us of some great attraction.

Casper Gutman

Are there really that many people who miss the original attraction, or just people who like the idea of the first attraction and the original EPCOT concept in general? Of all the original pavilions, Energy was by far the least interesting and the least successful, and its mammoth 45-minute running time was never justified. The common fan reservation of the Guardians replacement is that it continues the trend of replacing 1980s-style edutainment with bankable movie IP, not that it's robbing us of some great attraction.
I genuinely loved the original EPCOT. Yes, UoE was the least interesting FW attraction, but it was still enjoyable and genuinely unique. More importantly, it was one of the last two pieces of the glory days we had left. Now we are left with a slightly diminished but still spectacular SSE, and that’s it.

The scope of what WDW has destroyed in FW is honestly staggering.

Boek68

^ I would argue that you still have Living with the Land. Even sans live spiel, it is still really close to the original ride. Barely anything has changed.

I actually would be a big supporter of some sort of update to the screen portion of that ride. Quick! someone call Uni, we have some screen-based ride sections that need sprucing up!

Kman101

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the original ideals of Epcot. I'd rather have 'by far the least interesting and least successful' over a flash in the pan coaster.

I never said it was robbing us of some great attraction. Still doesn't mean Guardians belongs in Future World. I like Guardians, too. And I'm more than accepting of Rat and Mary Poppins (though not Frozen and Guardian).

Some are upset about the IP invasion. It's just not quite as black and white as that.

Personally, Energy was my least favorite. But that doesn't mean I don't want the original ideals of Epcot. But I also don't mind certain IP where I, personally, feel it's appropriate.

We all have varied opinions on Epcot but we're very easy to dismiss the 'old' without respecting what it meant.

Maybe try looking at it in a different way instead of outright dismissing what was there. No one wants the dated, stodgy 80s back. But no reason Horizons, Journey, World of Motion and Energy couldn't be updated and maintained. I barely remember any of the original versions but I respect what was there. I see nothing wrong with appreciating a ride full of audio animatronics and various takes on the omnimover system.

We could use more omnimover rides at this point ;)

Casper Gutman

I actually love the MCU and think it will age well - I believe Guardians will be relevant for significantly longer than 10 years (which is why Disney is so staggeringly dumb for having waited so long and cut so many corners when it comes to adding Marvel to the parks).

That said, I must be really weird. Great 20 minute dark rides are so much more “fun” to me than themed 2 minute coasters in the dark, Disney’s new specialty. I’d actually have been more than willing to sacrifice Space Mountain to a Marvel IP if it would have miraculously brought back one of WoM, Horizons, or Imagination. Heck, I’d probably have given up Big Thunder for one of those.

Apropos of nothing, I find the hullabaloo about PP odd - Paradise Pier is a remnant of early DCA and some areas still have Six Flags level theming. Pixar Pier is a bit awkward, but at least it brings some aesthetic upgrades in a few spots, adds a bit to the coaster, and doesn’t eliminate anything worthwhile. And hey, the rumor is at some point in the future we might get at least one dark ride out of the deal.

Kman101

I guess like I justify some IPs in Epcot there's a way to justify Pixar Pier ;) I think it's godawful. But yes some aesthetic upgrades are possible. It's interesting what we're able to justify, no?

Casper Gutman

^ I would argue that you still have Living with the Land. Even sans live spiel, it is still really close to the original ride. Barely anything has changed.

I actually would be a big supporter of some sort of update to the screen portion of that ride. Quick! someone call Uni, we have some screen-based ride sections that need sprucing up!
True, and now my bias is showing... but it’s Living with the Land. Aside from the brief dark ride portion, it never felt particularly EPCOT. Part of the tragedy of EPCOT is that the best original FW rides were destroyed decades before the ones that really needed improvement (SSE excepted).

And I actually disagree that WoM and Imagination (save the screen portion) would be outdated. Both had the timeless quality of PoC. Horizons would have needed some freshening...

Casper Gutman

I guess like I justify some IPs in Epcot there's a way to justify Pixar Pier ;) I think it's godawful. But yes some aesthetic upgrades are possible. It's interesting what we're able to justify, no?
IPs don’t really upset me at all. That’s the entertainment industry today. Just build a variety of types of quality IP-based attractions (not all dark coasters), put them in thematically logical spots and don’t replace anything worthwhile, and occasionally consider an original or two and you can IP all day as far as I care. Unfortunately...

As for PP... the area around the load for Screaming is SO bad anything would be an improvement and the row of stores is finally getting a Victorian upgrade. Giant Jessie and the food carts are a shame, though (the Adorable Snowman one is fine).

Kman101

In terms of 'learning', I'd say Living with the Land "is" Epcot. Agreed that WOM and Imagination had a timeless quality to them. The idea behind Horizons is, to me, timeless, but yeah it would have needed a solid refresh. But no reason any of them really needed to go and no reason they still couldn't be enjoyed.

Kman101

IPs don’t really upset me at all. That’s the entertainment industry today. Just build a variety of types of quality IP-based attractions (not all dark coasters), put them in thematically logical spots and don’t replace anything worthwhile, and occasionally consider an original or two and you can IP all day as far as I care. Unfortunately...

As for PP... the area around the load for Screaming is SO bad anything would be an improvement and the row of stores is finally getting a Victorian upgrade. Giant Jessie and the food carts are a shame, though (the Adorable Snowman one is fine).

I have to agree about the load for Screamin'. And there will be some nice upgrades to the buildings, it seems (we'll see how the finished product comes together, of course). So that is indeed a plus. I really didn't care about Screamin' but I can see why it's annoying the Incredibles are taking over a seaside pier's wooden coaster. It's lazy shoving of IP into something. But, again, it's interesting what we can justify and accept and what we are unable to accept.

I'm also not sure on the Carrousel. Hopefully it's not ugly and tacky but it would have gone better in Toy Story Land.

As for the food stand rethemes? I think they're the most ugly. But they don't have to be permanent so we'll see.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That said, I must be really weird. Great 20 minute dark rides are so much more “fun” to me than themed 2 minute coasters in the dark, Disney’s new specialty. I’d actually have been more than willing to sacrifice Space Mountain to a Marvel IP if it would have miraculously brought back one of WoM, Horizons, or Imagination. Heck, I’d probably have given up Big Thunder for one of those.
balance.jpg

Jambo Joe

In terms of 'learning', I'd say Living with the Land "is" Epcot. Agreed that WOM and Imagination had a timeless quality to them. The idea behind Horizons is, to me, timeless, but yeah it would have needed a solid refresh. But no reason any of them really needed to go and no reason they still couldn't be enjoyed.
It’s funny but I have been thinking for a while that Disney is missing a great opportunity to reinvigorate a park-based original IP in Dreamfinder and Figment by carefully restoring the original ride with new tech and an expanded story and then pushing that IP to TV or movie properties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom