Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disneylover152

That is a LOT of trees! I wonder if the idea is basically to hide as much of the bare coaster track as possible? Cause it sure seems like once that stuff grows in you will not be able to see a majority of the track unless your on the ride.

I think its supposed to be the "grass". It looks like that.

I gotta say, I used to be concerned about the land's landscaping since the Landscaping in Paris and Hong Kong did not make you feel like you were shorter than the grass, but those pictures of the Slinky Dog Dash track really does look like its a model of a coaster in the grass.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They didn’t even try to theme the walls to the left on the old soundstage as you enter the land.
It's also awkwardly painted another color where the tour bridge used to connect.

So... you intend to enter the land looking at the walls of the alley to your left and right and not look at the huge Woody statue and a slinky dog rollercoaster right in front of you?

Marc Davis Fan

They didn’t even try to theme the walls to the left on the old soundstage as you enter the land.

It's also awkwardly painted another color where the tour bridge used to connect.

Hopefully, the trees/landscaping that seems to be going in along the walls will help a lot with making it seem less bland/empty.

And as @MisterPenguin mentioned, it should also help that guests’ attention will be drawn to the bright and colorful theming at the end of that “alley.” Indeed, the plain-ness of the alley may help visually draw you into the land even more, as it would help focus your attention on what is straight ahead that you’re walking towards.

I am a little unsure of the billboards on the back of the Chinese Theater building. I wonder if there’s a more clever choice of billboards. “Vintage” original Toy Story ads, for instance?

NoChesterHester

YES the dead end to Sunset Bld always bothers me for some reason lol
So... you intend to enter the land looking at the walls of the alley to your left and right and not look at the huge Woody statue and a slinky dog rollercoaster right in front of you?
Hopefully, the trees/landscaping that seems to be going in along the walls will help a lot with making it seem less bland/empty.

And as @MisterPenguin mentioned, it should also help that guests’ attention will be drawn to the bright and colorful theming at the end of that “alley.” Indeed, the plain-ness of the alley may help visually draw you into the land even more, as it would help focus your attention on what is straight ahead that you’re walking towards.

I am a little unsure of the billboards on the back of the Chinese Theater building. I wonder if there’s a more clever choice of billboards. “Vintage” original Toy Story ads, for instance?

Apologists. I’m not stupid. I get the point of focus. It’s a lazy (or cheap) choice.

Reality - landscape is the very last thing to go in construction. There is nothing else happening. That isn’t a good choice.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Just out of curiosity, what do you want it to be themed to? It’s not part of toy story land yet so it wouldn’t be themed to the fence. It’s still in the animation backlot area, so there’s nothing really wrong with a soundstage.
The Animation Courtyard should have been the first thing to be redesigned as part of the “MGM makeover” we’ve been waiting for for decades.

There ain’t been no Animation in that Courtyard for a long spell.

Instead, we lost GMR.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Apologists. I’m not stupid. I get the point of focus. It’s a lazy (or cheap) choice.

Reality - landscape is the very last thing to go in construction. There is nothing else happening. That isn’t a good choice.
That's like saying that Main Street and the Hub are pointless and could be plain walls because you have a huge castle to look at.
That may be ok at Six Flags, but I expect more from Disney.

If TSL theming is brought out to those walls, then where does it stop? This is a forum that would then complain, "Why did they stop at the corners? Why couldn't they have framed the entrance?

To anyone who is surprised there is no theming in that walkway, you weren't paying attention to the model.

Disneybear

Is it just me or from looking at the aerial photos does there appear to be a lot of wasted space in this land,

The space behind the Q/S and toilet area is sizeable.
Also with the new entrance to Toy Story being set back along the rear of the existing show building away from the entrance to the new land, that wastes a lot more land.
If both of the new Toy Story entrance and Q/S were closer to the new entrance from One Mans Dream that would be a very large piece of land to use. Even allowing for the fact they probably don't want to cram everything together, this still doesn't seem like the most efficient layout of the land available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom