News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

UncleMike101

And perhaps my favorite WDW "chart" ever. :D

View attachment 272750

I remember buying the $35 3-day passport ticket in 1983, one of the years in the early 1980s that my brother and friends stayed at an offsite campsite. (Hey, I was a poor undergrad back then!)

Adjusted for inflation, this $35 ticket would be $87.50 today. (This is right before Eisner's/Wells' big 1984-1988 price increases.) As I've suggested before, I believe this represents WDW's high point in terms of "value":

View attachment 272745

(I'll update this for 2018 once Toy Story Land opens.)

I'd gladly dump DHS and DAK if I could return to the outstanding value, quality, and service the Magic Kingdom and the (at the time) newly opened EPCOT offered in 1983. :)
In 1983, the first week of July, we had two adult and two child 4 day C pass's. I have the tickets in our memorabilia packets from WDW.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
One other interesting point about in 1983...

Combined attendance at the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT was 22.7 million in 1983.

According to TEA, combined attendance at these two parks was 32.1 million in 2016.

The parks were a lot less crowded in 1983! :D

To put that in perspective....in 1983 there was no DHS, AK, or DS (to level it is now)

UncleMike101

One other interesting point about in 1983...

Combined attendance at the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT was 22.7 million in 1983.

According to TEA, combined attendance at these two parks was 32.1 million in 2016.

The parks were a lot less crowded in 1983! :D
MK was a lot less crowded but we were at Epcot for their first 4th of July celebration in 1983 and it was FULL.......

ParentsOf4

That graph mirors my feels towards Disney having been a frequent visitor in the 70's through the late 90's
Yeah, it's not all doom-and-gloom but it's also not like it once was. My 2017 grade for WDW is an "87", still pretty good but not like the high 90s of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.

Lots being added now. It will be interesting to see which way WDW's grade goes over the next 5 years but, for the first time in a while, I have some optimism that it could improve. It really will depend on prices though. If prices go crazy, then it will be difficult for any addition to offset big price increases.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

To put that in perspective....in 1983 there was no DHS, AK, or DS (to level it is now)
I think you missed the point. Attendance at Disney's two most popular theme parks was a combined 22.7 million in 1983 while it was 32.1 million for those same two parks in 2016.

Total theme park attendance for the 4 parks was 53.7 million in 2016.

MK was a lot less crowded but we were at Epcot for their first 4th of July celebration in 1983 and it was FULL.......
I was there in May and it was empty. Most rides were walk-ons. The longest wait I remember was 20 minutes in the middle of the afternoon for Space Mountain. We walked on that in the morning and at night.

The 1970s and 1980s were very different than today. WDW was busy in the summer and during Christmas, while being considerably less crowded for other 9 months of the year.

There once was a slow season at WDW, and it was most of the year. :)

matt9112

The 6 year old probably has all rides open to him this year at Disney, but at Universal- he won’t. I think Universal is the natural progression as kids grow. 6 is a great time for Disney though.. a 5 year old cant do Rockin’ Roller Coaster, most likely. My kid is relatively tall, but definitely wasn’t 48” at age 5. Also, Star Wars is typically more of that age demographic over Harry Potter.

I don’t think Disney needs to be worried about most kids, in the 6 and under crowd, jumping ship.

until the third park....all early rumors point to a "magic kingdom fighting" component.

homerdance

That is the thing with the parking fees, they don’t count as traditional price increases and won’t show up in these graphs. So semi locals and those who fly into SFB are the ones that will bear the brunt of these fees. And 20% off discounts/ap discounts will still have that same fee

Also, the fact you can go park your car there all day, not spend a dime, and pay $0.00 to park, but if you pay the hotel to stay there, and whatever you spend, you get to pay for parking. Just doesn’t sit right with me.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Disney should get into the car rental business. Provided the guest has a room at one of their resorts, why not offer them a vehicle at a *magical* daily rate?

HauntedMansionFLA

that's a very valid point the prices keep going up but the actual resort park experience is on the down turn....unless there's a bunch of people who like feeling like cattle. honestly think I'm going toet APs lapse and keep uni for a little at least.
Universal is promoting a pay for 12 months, get 15 months AP pass pretty hard. I’m glad we live close by so we can go over for a short time, enjoy ourselves with the 3 FastPass and leave after a short time. It’s interesting watching people run from one thing to another because everything is so planned out and the parks are packed. It’s interesting that the parking fees aren’t reverse. Give the people staying at deluxeca break and give them the least expensive parking fee.

Goofyernmost

For example, WDW ticket price increases for one-day MK tickets and across all WDW tickets (excluding annual passes) since 1990, compared with household income for those in the middle, the top 20%, and the top 5%:

View attachment 272741

Really, the only group that's kept up with WDW ticket price increases are those in the top 1%.
Do those percentages have any real dollar numbers attached to them. I ask that because just percentage points do not really tell the story. For example, if your household income started at 100.00 and went up to $200. It went up 100% and if prices went from $50. at 280% that would be $140.00. Percentages mean nothing without beginning and ending actual numbers. Those in the top 1% not only kept up, but, they massively surpassed what was needed. Even average folks went from $100.00 to $200.00 also surpassing that figure. Now I know that actual numbers might change that outlook, but, it is vital to know what those numbers are in actuality. I think that average wages have stayed quite consistent if for no other reason then the fact that the attendance has gotten higher. In those earlier days it was hard to pay for a WDW vacation even at the lower admission prices. If I am missing something in my figuring please tell me what it is. And, I will say again, admission to a theme park is a luxury item and is not in anyway connected with a cost of living increase. It is the cost of playing and almost no one is going to be sympathetic to that picture.

21stamps

Do those percentages have any real dollar numbers attached to them. I ask that because just percentage points do not really tell the story. For example, if your household income started at 100.00 and went up to $200. It went up 100% and if prices went from $50. at 280% that would be $140.00. Percentages mean nothing without beginning and ending actual numbers. Those in the top 1% not only kept up, but, they massively surpassed what was needed. Even average folks went from $100.00 to $200.00 also surpassing that figure. Now I know that actual numbers might change that outlook, but, it is vital to know what those numbers are in actuality. I think that average wages have stayed quite consistent if for no other reason then the fact that the attendance has gotten higher. In those earlier days it was hard to pay for a WDW vacation even at the lower admission prices. If I am missing something in my figuring please tell me what it is. And, I will say again, admission to a theme park is a luxury item and is not in anyway connected with a cost of living increase. It is the cost of playing and almost no one is going to be sympathetic to that picture.

As a side comparison.. in 1985 a Kings Island Season Pass was $29.99. I think they’re around $115-$120 today...with a whole bunch of add on options now.lol.. But, even back then the KI Pass was considered “expensive”.
I do completely agree that Entertainment in general has seen a huge jump over the years...but it’s because of the demand, and as you said- nothing to do with inflation.

HauntedMansionFLA

As a side comparison.. in 1985 a Kings Island Season Pass was $29.99. I think they’re around $115-$120 today...with a whole bunch of add on options now.lol.. But, even back then the KI Pass was considered “expensive”.
I do completely agree that Entertainment in general has seen a huge jump over the years...but it’s because of the demand, and as you said- nothing to do with inflation.
The parking fees are here to stay. What’s up next? Eliminate the free FastPass, extra magic hours and magical express transportation and make them add on expenses? Pay for FastPass would be a huge revenue increase for the parks. Will people be angry?? Heck yes. Will people pay extra to get an advantage over another guest going to that park first for the day?? Heck yes!! This is only the start of things to come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom