Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

HauntedMansionFLA

OK, have it your way. The whole damn place is an absolute bust and with any luck at all WDW will just be a ghost town in the near future. The whole place is not worth the gunpowder to blow it to hell. Contrary to your constant insistence there is a tomorrow, not everything is about today and yesterday. Just a couple of years back there was no place left to build TSL or SWL, yet it is being built. Perhaps not to the liking of some of you, but, it is growing out of previously claimed very dead space.
Post of the day!! Bravo!!

Really looks tame...I mean, remove the slinky/toy story theming and it looks like a generic coaster you'd expect to see at a pop-up carnival/funfair. Pretty underwhelming.

This was the fear before the started on the land. The rides at Hong Kong and Paris are so cheap looking, they do actually look like your local fun fair rides.

matt9112

Gold and up wont be effected. And if you have silver, well, you know there's lots of blackout dates going into that.

true true I couldn't justify the price diffrence I'm in HVAC so I have zero time in a Florida summer and would never want to be with the holiday crowds but still bummed when you might miss the chance to ride something before the now standard (New Disney world 120+ minute wait for years) treatment. couple that with smaller FP window and I don't get caught dead waiting that long. been on FOP twice once for AP previews and once rope dropping EMH. bothers me that giant waits are a sign of success to Disney....uh Disney I'm not buying beer or merch waiting 3 hours for flight of passage.

matt9112

I think they'll go for previews only, like Pandora. But until they announce their plans it's speculation!

99.99 % certain they will for SW:GE anyway.

they could prob charge 100 bucks a head for early access previews to GE. if anyone in Disney is curious I will work for 6 figures.

BrianLo

Im obviously beating a dead horse here...but there would be alot less pessimism if TDO hadnt completely cut a third phase/land from the original plans. I think people are disappointed that this is pretty much (at this point in time) half of a very expensive and long promised upgrade to a park that needs so much more!!!

I obviously agree that this is not enough. In the grand scheme of things the old, old rumours was this major project ran through 2021 and that was pretty much it for the entirety of WDW. Maybe loose change for one MK and a single Epcot project.

While the third phase is long-dead, the projects we are getting through 2021/2 are technically much more than expected from just the DHS proposal alone. Which was essentially a slightly beefier (in expense only) Toy Story land, Ratatouille/Monster coaster and a much less ambitious Star Wars offering topping out 2021. Some show updates and perhaps some simple budget overlays, definitely nothing as extreme as M&MRR, plus parking garages (definitely no gondola).

The only reason I'm not disgruntled today is that there seems to be several viable 2022/2023 proposals floating around that may wind up at DHS, so really that's sort of equivalent in the end. I can wait a couple extra years for DHS to get something else if it means every other park doesn't have to be neglected.

AKL2003

I obviously agree that this is not enough. In the grand scheme of things the old, old rumours was this major project ran through 2021 and that was pretty much it for the entirety of WDW. Maybe loose change for one MK and a single Epcot project.

While the third phase is long-dead, the projects we are getting through 2021/2 are technically much more than expected from just the DHS proposal alone. Which was essentially a slightly beefier (in expense only) Toy Story land, Ratatouille/Monster coaster and a much less ambitious Star Wars offering topping out 2021. Some show updates and perhaps some simple budget overlays, definitely nothing as extreme as M&MRR, plus parking garages (definitely no gondola).

The only reason I'm not disgruntled today is that there seems to be several viable 2022/2023 proposals floating around that may wind up at DHS, so really that's sort of equivalent in the end. I can wait a couple extra years for DHS to get something else if it means every other park doesn't have to be neglected.
I can wait too if it benefits WDW as a whole!! Delayed gratification is fine by me as long as the payoff is there...I am thoroughly excited about what has already been announced and what is to come (even if that takes the next 10 years)...its been a long time coming...if TDO can "spread the wealth" (and the crowds )with the new offerings whilst rounding out all 4 parks...sign me up!!

Casper Gutman

This isn't my memory at all. My understanding is that the MGM makeover we anticipated several years ago consisted of a SWL comparable to the one currently being constructed, but replacing Indy and Echo Lake and extending the park barriers by replacing a significant portion of the parking lot; a Pixar land containing the Monsters door coaster and a modified, possible shortened RSR; and a phase three that was always somewhat nebulous but possibly focused on Indy. I don't recall the precise timing, but a Mickey ride, possibly located in the Animation Courtyard and thus leaving GMR as is (was), has been a part of the plan for a while. We also expected replacements for the incredibly tired VLMM, Indy, and B&B shows. Even the TSL we are getting has been dramatically cut down from earlier proposals, as made most evident by the art work they still, deceptively, use to promote the land.

If my recollection is incorrect, those with better memories can correct me. But that makeover, which we've been anticipating for over a decade, dwarfs the totality of what we are getting now at all four parks.

As for future MGM projects, the only strong rumors I've seen are possible replacements for the aging live shows and layovers to RnRC and ToT. The impression I've gotten from insiders - and again, I might be wrong - is that execs think SWL pretty much fixes the park, which won't need any more attractions for quite a while.

CalebS

Bummer. I was hoping for 36" for Slinky Dog. I suspect my daughter will be quite disappointed because unless she has an unexpected growth spurt, I think she will likely be just a bit too short for Slinky Dog and 7DMT when we go in November.
When I played basketball in high school we all had shoes that made us two inches taller just get her some of those :)

DisneyDaver

When I played basketball in high school we all had shoes that made us two inches taller just get her some of those :)

I was thinking it means that when my wife sees my daughter's disappointment, my wife will be more likely to cave in to my suggestion that we go back to WDW again the following April :) My wife has agreed to annual WDW visits ... I'm pushing for twice a year :)

hobovampire

Not really. Both rides are seated in vehicles that do not make any 'thrill' movements. They won't be any more 'thrilling' than Star Tours in movement. So, kiddos will be more than happy.
Well neat! I'll be honest that I only have vague ideas of those rides, mostly just the MF.
Doesn't help my attempt to placate the E-ticketers though. ;< Oh well. :)

ToTBellHop

This isn't my memory at all. My understanding is that the MGM makeover we anticipated several years ago consisted of a SWL comparable to the one currently being constructed, but replacing Indy and Echo Lake and extending the park barriers by replacing a significant portion of the parking lot; a Pixar land containing the Monsters door coaster and a modified, possible shortened RSR; and a phase three that was always somewhat nebulous but possibly focused on Indy. I don't recall the precise timing, but a Mickey ride, possibly located in the Animation Courtyard and thus leaving GMR as is (was), has been a part of the plan for a while. We also expected replacements for the incredibly tired VLMM, Indy, and B&B shows. Even the TSL we are getting has been dramatically cut down from earlier proposals, as made most evident by the art work they still, deceptively, use to promote the land.

If my recollection is incorrect, those with better memories can correct me. But that makeover, which we've been anticipating for over a decade, dwarfs the totality of what we are getting now at all four parks.

As for future MGM projects, the only strong rumors I've seen are possible replacements for the aging live shows and layovers to RnRC and ToT. The impression I've gotten from insiders - and again, I might be wrong - is that execs think SWL pretty much fixes the park, which won't need any more attractions for quite a while.
You are good until the last paragraph. They know the rides under construction aren’t enough and are developing an additional E-ticket. Unfortunately it will (or would—let’s see if it happens) come too late to prevent insane crowds starting Fall 2019.

Anything they do with star wars will cause insane crowds.

What they should be doing is adding a lot more capacity to DHS outside of what we're getting with Toy Story and mickey so the park doesn't close due to capacity with the surge of attendance from SW: GE.

Are these rides eating up alot of people though? Roller coasters have notorious slow loads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom