Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

FerretAfros

And you can't avoid nuts and bolts building a real roller coaster.
It's not practical to think that every single thing can disguised or concealed, but that doesn't mean they should give up entirely on attempting to theme an attraction. Even with a simple theme like "made from oversized toys," they could have done a lot more to make it a compelling experience

For instance, consider Gadget's Go Coaster at DL and TDL, which uses a similar theme on a smaller scale. The designers at least made a half-hearted effort to make its supports an mechanics look like they're made from found materials. Is it perfect? No, it's not. But at least they tried, and for what it is it's relatively successful at conveying the concept.
gadgetsgocoaster001_425.jpg

The Slinky coaster will have some props along the sides at the launches, and in the queue building, but the track itself looks like exactly what it is: a standard roller coaster. There's no attempt to make it look like anything else.
Toy-Story-Land_Full_32214.jpg

monykalyn

Well I guess I'll hope for passholder preview/soft opening during first 2 weeks of June when we will be there...otherwise I guess it will have to wait a few years.

smile

It's not practical to think that every single thing can disguised or concealed, but that doesn't mean they should give up entirely on attempting to theme an attraction. Even with a simple theme like "made from oversized toys," they could have done a lot more to make it a compelling experience

For instance, consider Gadget's Go Coaster at DL and TDL, which uses a similar theme on a smaller scale. The designers at least made a half-hearted effort to make its supports an mechanics look like they're made from found materials. Is it perfect? No, it's not. But at least they tried, and for what it is it's relatively successful at conveying the concept.

The Slinky coaster will have some props along the sides at the launches, and in the queue building, but the track itself looks like exactly what it is: a standard roller coaster. There's no attempt to make it look like anything else.
View attachment 264505

why bother?
tsl easy mode handbook calls it a 'coaster playset'

businesspeople-celebrating-the-agreement-with-champagne_1098-2175.jpg

CaptainAmerica

View attachment 264505
Theming elements are the last thing that goes in. How about you judge the attraction when it actually opens and not on aerial photos mid-construction?

disneygeek90

I like how Disney is timing these openings to be during the AP block out periods. Pandora was slightly before, but you had to earn those rides. I wonder if Mickey is next.
Gold and up wont be effected. And if you have silver, well, you know there's lots of blackout dates going into that.

CJR

Gold and up wont be effected. And if you have silver, well, you know there's lots of blackout dates going into that.

I know all about Disney's annual passes (just renewed mine), I just find it clever; if you want to ride the new stuff when it comes out, you have to upgrade. They'll probably send out such emails to silver and weekday people. IF the summer opening is on purpose, it's a clever business move since you're probably talking a lot of people on silver and weekday passes.

Kman101

TSMM needs variability in the games. I enjoy the ride, but having a random choice of games at each station would make it better. There's really no excuse for not doing that.

This would help a lot. It's been one and done for me as well. I usually go solo so that plays a role, so I'm sure in a competitive bunch of friends or family I can see why they just love these kind of rides but I think they're a bit lazy. Buzz, not as lazy. TSMM, lazy. Screens in a wooden box in a soundstage. I guess the movement of the vehicle and the fun of trying to hit targets masks what the ride really is.

But if it changed up the games I would probably do it more often but it's just not that appealing to me. I do get why it is to many though. But it's to me, hands down, one of the most overrated attractions (just imagine if we got Harry Potter and all we got was a wand attraction with screens and nothing else, but I guess at least there will now be a Toy Story Land to compliment the ride so it ties it all together). But Tokyo crowds sure eat it up lol.

Kman101

Um. June 30th? LOL come on. They should have really pushed themselves on this. Personally, IMO, this land should have come 5-10 years ago (back when they added Toy Story Mania, and the rebrand to DHS, that should have been when we got the park overhaul). WDW is so behind after a decade (some would say two) of stagnation.

FerretAfros

Theming elements are the last thing that goes in. How about you judge the attraction when it actually opens and not on aerial photos mid-construction?
Every iteration of the concept are and models have consistently shown plain yellow supports with red track. Landscaping has been installed. They may still be working on the surrounding areas, but by all indications work on the coaster itself is substantively complete. It's time to judge.

ToTBellHop

Fiscal Q3 close?
Yes. The remaining costs of construction go into Q3 without operational costs (bookings are strong in Q3, so that’s “fine”). Summer bookings have been soft in recent years, but of course all of the guests who didn’t come for Pandora will now book in Q4 ‘18 for this exciting land. And with the announced opening, those bookings will be in Q4. Telephone agents are awaiting your call to book.

So says the PowerPoint slides.

nickys

Premium Member
I know not exactly on topic but do you like Buzz then? They are similar in concept.

I prefer Buzz because I have control over when and where it spins round. I hate the jerky movement on TSMM and also the feeling of just shooting at screens, as opposed to feeling like I'm in the set and the 3D nature of Buzz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom