Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
2 months shy of 3 years from announcement to Grand Opening for a flat and a Jr. coaster.

Good to see TDO is aggressively addressing the capacity issues of this sad little park.

Going by announcement isn't a fair way to judge construction.

Going from groundbreaking, TSL will be 27 months (2.2 years). Three months shy of each of the Potter Lands, which isn't saying they were speedy since the scope of TSL is much less. But, let's not throw around "almost 3 years" when it's really "a little more than two years."

smile

It just further highlights the troubles that plague Disney’s development process. The other two launch Mack coaster opening in the US this year is still slated for Spring.

the 2nd us isn't coming to mind...
but, in that sense, when comparing slinky to either tt or icon, it's laughable

Disneyhead'71

Going by announcement isn't a fair way to judge construction.

Going from groundbreaking, TSL will be 27 months (2.2 years). Three months shy of each of the Potter Lands, which isn't saying they were speedy since the scope of TSL is much less. But, let's not throw around "almost 3 years" when it's really "a little more than two years."
Ok, how about the Backlot Tour closed 3.5 years ago.

But to be fair, they did fire the head of Imagineering and send this back to the drawing board for major cost cutting after the announcement. That kind of cost cutting takes time and money.

Disney Dad 3000

Any idea with this not officially opening til June 30th , though previews likely before, what they do with TSMM? Seem to recall no FP and one track through early May to reroute queue. Those dates to change to accommodate this later opening or will they be able to simply flip the entrance to it from one side to the next when the land opens? Didn't know how those queue changes would impact using all 3 tracks and the old queue entrance before the land opens.

lazyboy97o

the 2nd us isn't coming to mind...
but, in that sense, when comparing slinky to either tt or icon, it's laughable
Time Machine at Silver Dollar City. Higher transportation costs. Expensive spinning cars. More expensive construction labor. More difficult site. About half the price and planned to open first. It’s the closest thing to a good 1:1 comparison.

Ripken10

Nuts and Bolts are not a big break in theming for Big Thunder since it's supposed to be an actual railroad, although real tracks don't exactly look like that. Having exposed nuts and bolts for Slinkey Dog would be a thematic break since it's supposed to be a children's toy so wouldn't have nuts and bolts holding it together.
The best toys would have fake nuts and bolts

smile

Time Machine at Silver Dollar City. Higher transportation costs. Expensive spinning cars. More expensive construction labor. More difficult site. About half the price and planned to open first. It’s the closest thing to a good 1:1 comparison.

had misread you as saying there were two opening in the us...
i was, in fact, referencing time traveler at sdc - the name you just made me second guess

... it's certainly impressive, and like you said, all over terrain -
icon impresses me as well, weaving in and around blackpool as it does

Last edited:

tminus7

Any idea with this not officially opening til June 30th , though previews likely before, what they do with TSMM? Seem to recall no FP and one track through early May to reroute queue. Those dates to change to accommodate this later opening or will they be able to simply flip the entrance to it from one side to the next when the land opens? Didn't know how those queue changes would impact using all 3 tracks and the old queue entrance before the land opens.

It's likely Disney will still close Toy Story Mania's FastPass+ line from April to May for construction. Then at the end of May or early June, the entire attraction will probably close. Then reopen with Toy Story Land.

lazyboy97o

still not sure what other us coaster you were referring to,
but i was, in fact, referencing time traveler at sdc, good sir.

... it's certainly impressive, and like you said, all over terrain -
icon impresses me as well, weaving in and around blackpool as it does
I see. “Two” describes the number of launches, not the number of other coasters.

hobovampire

Well, we shall see what it looks like from the ground, huh! I reserve judgment since I'm pretty much indifferent until EPCOT finally gets more love than an ill-placed IP when it comes to new things at the parks.. MGM was always third then fourth banana in terms of park favourites so I'll be seeing it with absolutely zero expectation which obv means I'll enjoy it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It's likely Disney will still close Toy Story Mania's FastPass+ line from April to May for construction. Then at the end of May or early June, the entire attraction will probably close. Then reopen with Toy Story Land.
Are you suggesting that TSMM will close completely for a full month or more? Has this been hinted at before?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom