News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

mikejs78

Premium Member
The argument on whether a coaster belongs at Epcot is really up to personal taste. I tend to think every park should have at least one thrilling coaster. The real argument has always been do the Guardians belong in Epcot?....No
Sure, I'm fine with a coaster in Epcot if it's thematically appropriate. Guardians could still surprise depending on the story, but probably not. A "mountain" coaster based on a real-life mountain in one of the World Showcase countries would be a great addition to Epcot.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think you Peter Pan reference shows the glaring weakness of mk's fantasyland in the fact that it doesn't have nearly enough attractions for the target audience (compared to DL fantasyland).

Maybe, but in reality it's related to how low the capacity of Pan is more than anything. Which I think was my point - wait times is not necessarily related to popularity.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Agreed. Layered theme and cohesion will be sacrificed so the "Veruca Salt" Disney fans can be pacified.

View attachment 264291
Cute, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney, who owns and operates IPcot, has made the conscious decision to include more thrill rides and movie tie-ins in the park. Those "Veruca Salt" fans are the ones paying to get in, and they're the ones who made their voices heard in the exit surveys supporting this decision.

You can vote with your feet. Join the throngs in MK and avoid those parks you feel violate some unwritten, outmoded philosophical focus on "thematic continuity."

Oh, look -- I've got a meme, too:
24mqif.jpg

FigmentForver96

Cute, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney, who owns and operates IPcot, has made the conscious decision to include more thrill rides and movie tie-ins in the park. Those "Veruca Salt" fans are the ones paying to get in, and they're the ones who made their voices heard in the exit surveys supporting this decision.

You can vote with your feet. Join the throngs in MK and avoid those parks you feel violate some unwritten, outmoded philosophical focus on "thematic continuity."

24mqif.jpg
The average visitor doesn't know what they want. Thats how Disneyland came about, giving people something they've never seen. That's why EPCOT Center was more attended than today and will likley never reach those numbers again. People want to be wowed and it doesn't take an IP going where it doesn't belong to do it.

jaxonp

The average visitor doesn't know what they want. Thats how Disneyland came about, giving people something they've never seen. That's why EPCOT Center was more attended than today and will likley never reach those numbers again. People want to be wowed and it doesn't take an IP going where it doesn't belong to do it.

What were the highest ever recorded numbers for Epcot?

mikejs78

Premium Member
and they're the ones who made their voices heard in the exit surveys supporting this decision.

That seems like a dubious claim. More likely, current guests are dissatisfied with the current state of Epcot (I don't blame them) and Disney interpreted this as to meaning that they needed more thrills and more IPs. But even if what you postulated was absolutely true, it doesn't mean that Disney should go that route. There's an old saying in Product Management: "If Henry Ford had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses". The idea is that while it's important to take user feedback and sentiment into account, doing exactly what people want is not a recipe for a good product, because people don't always know what's possible, or what they want. Someone who has never experienced Epcot during it's peak may not know what Epcot is capable of, so yes, they may want more characters/more thrills, because they don't know anything else. Disney became so successful because it did keep to these thematic wholes, which contributed over time to guest satisfaction, even if the guest didn't necessarily realize it - it's just part of the whole experience and it makes the parks seem more alive and complex than the traditional amusement park.

Now, I'm not a thematic purist. There can be some variation in my mind and thematic purity can be bended a bit, IPs used, etc. Some IPs would make sense in Epcot - Baymax, Inside Out, Wall-E, even Nemo if done better. But when something is *so* out of place, like Frozen and Guardians, that's when I object (with the caveat that WDI could still take Guardians and make it thematically consistent with Epcot... But that remains to be seen).

WDWTank

I'd argue that Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain are "thrill rides", on the same level of roller coasters to most. My point was, there are plenty of "families" that want thrilling attractions. Saying a ride isn't going to be a success because it doesn't attract ALL guests is an illusion. The wait for the 3..uh I mean 4 "mountains" at Magic Kingdom are still some of the longest in the park.
Magic Kingdom hasn't had a new thrilling E-Ticket in YYYEEEEAAAARRSSSSS.....

mikejs78

Premium Member
What were the highest ever recorded numbers for Epcot?
It peaked at 11.8 mil in 1997, then gradually declined to 8.6 mil in 2003, then picked up again. It hit it's peak again in 2015 (11.8) and has declined since then.

Edit: It may have been higher in the 80s, it's hard to say because the only stats I could find had total attendance for WDW and not broken down by gate.

jaxonp

The problem with Epcot has been that it’s a cash cow. The alcohol sales alone are really really good. When, we collectively, embraced these festivals is the moment when attractions became an afterthought at EPCOT.

jaxonp

Considering they just built Little Mermaid in the past six years, I would seriously doubt its an ADA issue, considering Shanghai doesn't really apply to American laws on disabled access.

It absolutely is and has become the biggest complaint among guests. You’re lucky if you can go through the Haunted Masion without it stopping 2 maybe 3 times per ride. Same for Buzz and Mermaid. I think there is many reasons we won’t see omnis being built anymore. I’m surprised Buzz got built in Shanghai.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

24mqif.jpg
Ahhhhhh, the never ending rebuttal of the people who think anyone that disagrees with IP's plastered everywhere is somehow holding out for EPCOT Center to return.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom