What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

BoarderPhreak

I don't think it's fair to write-off Epcot as a whole. Sure, FW is a complete train wreck - but WS is still (mostly) as charming as always. If Brazil comes to fruition, that will be nice and Ratatouille will be a good shot in the arm as well (and might make up for Frozen, LOL). Who knows about Spain or whatever else is on the table... As long as it doesn't get too crowded.

Thankfully I love the park for more than "...only three or four cool rides..." Honestly, I enjoy photographing it most, especially details in and around WS. But even FW ain't too shabby...

L1006737.jpg

Dutch Inn '76

I don't think it's fair to write-off Epcot as a whole. Sure, FW is a complete train wreck - but WS is still (mostly) as charming as always. If Brazil comes to fruition, that will be nice and Ratatouille will be a good shot in the arm as well (and might make up for Frozen, LOL). Who knows about Spain or whatever else is on the table... As long as it doesn't get too crowded.

Thankfully I love the park for more than "...only three or four cool rides..." Honestly, I enjoy photographing it most, especially details in and around WS. But even FW ain't too shabby...

Oh yeah! World Showcase is still great! I love being there - but the only part of "Future World " :rolleyes: that doesn't suck now is the monorail loop in your image. As it is now, the good/great parts (TT, MS, SE, Land, Soarin) are all diminished by the loose assembly that they are. I just wish they'd get on with its redevelopment.

larandtra

Announcement happens of change before they even know what the final solution or plan is, boards and fans go nuts wondering why it isnt finished 6 months later. Regardless people are talking about it and Epcot is far from dead. On life support absolutely. It will never be the Epcot Center it was, but, thats not to say that one of the many plans on the table wont reinvigorate the FW side of the park in a way that should please most people. As long as you are ok with change, then it becomes a wait and see. But, it wont be a finished polished job in the next 2-3 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Announcement happens of change before they even know what the final solution or plan is, boards and fans go nuts wondering why it isnt finished 6 months later. Regardless people are talking about it and Epcot is far from dead. On life support absolutely. It will never be the Epcot Center it was, but, thats not to say that one of the many plans on the table wont reinvigorate the FW side of the park in a way that should please most people. As long as you are ok with change, then it becomes a wait and see. But, it wont be a finished polished job in the next 2-3 years.

It's the danger of the Internet and how disney operates in this day and age...

They have a sycophant convention every 2 years...make announcentments...and do one other big thing:

They "hint"...followed by terms like "stay tuned" and "exciting things coming"...

That's a tactic...there's very little substance in the hear and now to them. It's to drive all the drones back out across the land. Keep buying...keep booking...keep encouraging their family and neighbors...the people at the office...the PTA.

Then places such as these continue to turn the PR wheels.

I think the spine is more the latter as of now than the former...it could develop into something awesome or just quietly sit/go away. Hard to tell.

I think of D23 like the penguins speech at the end of Batman Returns..."the liberation of Gotham...has BEGUN!!!"

Last edited:

*Q*

Um...no...there really won't. If it's not that, it will be some other kind of integrated device. The 20th century is dying and will begin to at a rapid pace as the boomers go
For one thing, there's a large number of foreign visitors that don't use smartphones whether it be a cultural thing, data issues, economic reasons, or any one of a number of things. Considering the vastness and variety of the world, I don't think that's very likely to go away in the relative near future. Plus there will simply always be a not insignificant segment of the population that is not technologically inclined that Disney should keep just good ol' fashioned human interaction around for. The mandates of courtesy and showmanship that made Disney destinations so popular would demand nothing less.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For one thing, there's a large number of foreign visitors that don't use smartphones whether it be a cultural thing, data issues, economic reasons, or any one of a number of things. Considering the vastness and variety of the world, I don't think that's very likely to go away in the relative near future. Plus there will simply always be a not insignificant segment of the population that is not technologically inclined that Disney should keep just good ol' fashioned human interaction around for. The mandates of courtesy and showmanship that made Disney destinations so popular would demand nothing less.
Foreign visitors account for about 10% at any given time..on average.

Who under the age of 45/50 is not attached to their phone a significant portion of the day?

And economics don't work either...as they have that invisible shield to keep the poor out. And unlike Encounter at far point...the shields work.

You think disney is going to INTENTIONALLY try to non-digitize the experience? Possibly leading to more employees and costs required?

Mark Zuckerberg is worth $76 Billion dollars...for digital nothingness...

Respectfully, I don't think you have a grasp on what disney is about. Not tapping every vein to extract revenue blood...ain't it.

*Q*

Foreign visitors account for about 10% at any given time..on average.

Who under the age of 45/50 is not attached to their phone a significant portion of the day?

And economics don't work either...as they have that invisible shield to keep the poor out. And unlike Encounter at far point...the shields work.

You think disney is going to INTENTIONALLY try to non-digitize the experience? Possibly leading to more employees and costs required?

Mark Zuckerberg is worth $76 Billion dollars...for digital nothingness...

Respectfully, I don't think you have a grasp on what disney is about. Not tapping every vein to extract revenue blood...ain't it.
I am trying to have an intelligent and respectful discussion, is there any chance you can be not quite so condescending?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am trying to have an intelligent and respectful discussion, is there any chance you can be not quite so condescending?

By saying that lots of people don't have smart phones as a reason to relocate tip boards and fast past kiosks?

...I'm trying here.

That just doesn't follow the flow of society. I'll consider any point that makes sense.

As of January, 2016...79.1% of cellphone users in the United States (198.5 million) were using a smartphone. That's 61% of the entire population including those that can't even operate a cellphone.

Maybe smartphones won't be the future navigational tool at Disney parks...but some type of device will be. Eventually it will be (not too long, by the way) some type of "commlink" on a network like...ironically...Star Trek. We aren't that far off.

Now...it won't be within maybe 10-20 years. That is true...but the trend is going solidly in one direction.

Sorry for the snark...no personal offense. I just don't see the plausible angle that there's a "resistance to smartphones" that is manifested on the street.

mikejs78

Premium Member
By saying that lots of people don't have smart phones as a reason to relocate tip boards and fast past kiosks?

...I'm trying here.

That just doesn't follow the flow of society. I'll consider any point that makes sense.

As of January, 2016...79.1% of cellphone users in the United States (198.5 million) were using a smartphone. That's 61% of the entire population including those that can't even operate a cellphone.

Maybe smartphones won't be the future navigational tool at Disney parks...but some type of device will be. Eventually it will be (not too long, by the way) some type of "commlink" on a network like...ironically...Star Trek. We aren't that far off.

Now...it won't be within maybe 10-20 years. That is true...but the trend is going solidly in one direction.

Sorry for the snark...no personal offense. I just don't see the plausible angle that there's a "resistance to smartphones" that is manifested on the street.
Only point I'd argue with here is that I think it will be within the 10-20 year timeframe. Just think of where we were from a technology standpoint in 1998 vs today. Development and adoption of tech by the general population has only accelerated as time has gone on. By 2038, I doubt there will be many people left without some kind of smart device.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Only point I'd argue with here is that I think it will be within the 10-20 year timeframe. Just think of where we were from a technology standpoint in 1998 vs today. Development and adoption of tech by the general population has only accelerated as time has gone on. By 2038, I doubt there will be many people left without some kind of smart device.

I spent 5 seconds googling it and I was shocked at how few there are now...

And of those that aren't...how many are over age 70 and/or not in an economic position to support a smartphone with a $500 upfront and roughly $1500 annual outlay?

Why does that matter here? Because disney ain't cheap and it's getting worse.

Dutch Inn '76

I spent 5 seconds googling it and I was shocked at how few there are now...

And of those that aren't...how many are over age 70 and/or not in an economic position to support a smartphone with a $500 upfront and roughly $1500 annual outlay?

Why does that matter here? Because disney ain't cheap and it's getting worse.

Agreed. Whatever the percentage of non-smartphone using folks is in the USA, I guarantee it's a lower number among patrons at WDW. If you can afford to and want to go to the Magic Kingdom, then you probably also have a smart phone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Whatever the percentage of non-smartphone using folks is in the USA, I guarantee it's a lower number among patrons at WDW. If you can afford to and want to go to the Magic Kingdom, then you probably also have a smart phone.

I would say the ones that don't (Americans...that is) are the demographics that are resistant to technology naturally...

I don't see gen xers and millenials with flip phones on a 400 minute a month plan and 1 Gig in the magic kingdom...

I mean...I did in 2005...but you know?

mikejs78

Premium Member

You can get a halfway decent budget smartphone these days for < $200. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the top of the line iPhone/Galaxy/Pixel phones do, and will have a mediocre camer at best, but they function reasonably well. My mom used to have just such a phone and for her, web browsing, navigation, email, texting, and a couple of apps was enough, and it did that job admirably.

You can also get a decent prepaid data plan for ~$360/year. Smartphone use is going to become more ubiquitous, regardless of an individual's financial state.

BoarderPhreak

The funny thing is, I'm in technology and run multiple websites, active on every major social media platform... Yet I hardly use my phone most of the time - especially at the parks. I couldn't care less what's going on in the outside world while I'm there. I use it for MDE and not much else.

Clearly I can only speak for myself. I see tons of people glued to their phones in the parks, and it's rather sad. Especially the younger demographic. They're more interested in social media than experiencing the parks and being present. This is where parents need to step up and curtail their usage more.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The funny thing is, I'm in technology and run multiple websites, active on every major social media platform... Yet I hardly use my phone most of the time - especially at the parks. I couldn't care less what's going on in the outside world while I'm there. I use it for MDE and not much else.

Clearly I can only speak for myself. I see tons of people glued to their phones in the parks, and it's rather sad. Especially the younger demographic. They're more interested in social media than experiencing the parks and being present. This is where parents need to step up and curtail their usage more.

Lol...I don't use it much there either...but I try to frame the argument in terms of "statistically significant"...we are not it.

P_Radden

Reminds me of this famous pic:
qIUPjMV.jpg

:rolleyes:

mikejs78

Premium Member

I agree with you here in a sense. For me I use my phone for MDE and for the camera while in the parks. Maybe to summon a Mini Van (we'll see). But there also is a security element of having a connection in case of an emergency. I would never leave home without my phone for just that purpose. Having a smartphone as a useful tool doesn't mean that one always has to be glued to Facebook or Twitter, or texting with friends when one should be spending time with family.

BoarderPhreak

I agree with you here in a sense. For me I use my phone for MDE and for the camera while in the parks. Maybe to summon a Mini Van (we'll see). But there also is a security element of having a connection in case of an emergency. I would never leave home without my phone for just that purpose. Having a smartphone as a useful tool doesn't mean that one always has to be glued to Facebook or Twitter, or texting with friends when one should be spending time with family.
Exactly... Having your phone (especially as a family, should you get separated) isn't a bad thing. Even occasional use while in line, sure. But walking around the parks staring at your phone is a problem. Too many kids and young adults these days do exactly that.

I walk around with a legit camera and lenses, so I leave the phone for selfies. :D

You speak for me as well. I actually resent having to get my phone out when I'm at WDW. I might see something related to WORK.
There is that danger, absolutely. I've gotten good at ignoring it when I've explicitly stated "ON VACATION." Granted, I might answer it at the hotel later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom