The Edison--details announced

Cmdr_Crimson

This is a another non-Disney restaurant that out-Disney Disney! It tells a story from the outside, in. The details and theming are not reminiscent of a generic Hyatt Hotel cafe and Disney should take note.

With lackluster homogenization or your hotels, hotel restaurants and white-wall resort rooms, you are continuing to erode you competitive advantage.

They kind of did that when they had "creative people" working there when the whole Idea of Pleasure Island's structures where something else before they were used as clubs/dining locations by adding plaques to the building. Like this one for example for the Former Mannequins location now Morimoto's...
Historical%20Plaque.jpg

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
Please let us know how you enjoy it! Also, get that gooey grilled cheese for me and please tell me it was delicious.:)
I loved the atmosphere, drinks, and entertainment. However, I’d rate my food a C-/D+. I had the centennial steak (NY Strip) and found about 85 percent of the steak to be pure fat. My friend got the bacon wrapped meatloaf and agrees. It wasn’t wrapped in bacon, it actually only had 1 piece on top. IMHO the food is over-priced for sub-par versions of things you can make at home for 1/3 of the cost. I will definitely return for after hours drinks and entertainment but probably won’t do dinner again.

Magic Feather

I loved the atmosphere, drinks, and entertainment. However, I’d rate my food a C-/D+. I had the centennial steak (NY Strip) and found about 85 percent of the steak to be pure fat. My friend got the bacon wrapped meatloaf and agrees. It wasn’t wrapped in bacon, it actually only had 1 piece on top. IMHO the food is over-priced for sub-par versions of things you can make at home for 1/3 of the cost. I will definitely return for after hours drinks and entertainment but probably won’t do dinner again.
Mostly agreed. The entrees are decent to mediocre, but the Apps, Dessert, and Drinks are all on point.

disneygeek90

Yes there is always a chance. But with it being new and in high demand, there might be a long wait.
Thanks! I think my parents might like checking this out this weekend. We usually have no problem hanging out somewhere else and having a drink or two so it might be worth the wait.

DisneyDebRob

So sorry to hear about the bad meal. Let’s just hope they are working out the kinks to a good restaurant down the road. Hate to be waiting this long for a failure.

TimeTrip

Yes there is always a chance. But with it being new and in high demand, there might be a long wait.
Its looking like walk ups ran out of room tonight (Wednesday) at around 8pm and there was a visible line, as opposed to when we showed up at 645 and got some bar seating. And its a SLOW evening at the springs tonight..

TimeTrip

FWIW, we had the tuna poke yesterday. I liked it, she didn't. It was definitely not straight up poke and the "sauce" was polarizing.

As a side note, a friend took the picture I had posted to facebook and posted it to reddit, and its generated quite the conversation...

Also, the grilled cheese was quite good.

cspencer96

It may just be me, but by the looks of all of the photos and the general wording of the reviews, I’m not that impressed by The Edison’s nighttime vibe. I’ll have to wait and see it in person, obviously, but it seems like they stopped just short of making something incredible. I’m usually not one to speak negatively, but I was very excited about this. I work in live entertainment production, specifically managing production for nightlife venues, so it’s an aspect that I’m always focusing on when I look at a new spot.

For starters, the projected video behind the bandstand is just way too small. The wall is huge and the scaling is just off, making the video seem like an afterthought. Lighting seems incredibly basic and drab for a “nightclub,” even one that is a restaurant during the day. Even the sound system appears to be something temporary, not a well integrated and planned system befitting a destination nightclub. It appears to fall very short of the benchmark set by its older sister club in Los Angeles. There is so much potential there that, by the numerous photos and video angles I’ve seen, just wasn’t realized. For all of the hype, I was really expecting something much more than just a great restaurant that sort of halfway commits to being a bar at night. Maybe there is more coming in terms of production value, I hope. That, or my impression in person will be totally different.

Last edited:

TimeTrip

It may just be me, but by the looks of all of the photos and the general wording of the reviews, I’m not that impressed by The Edison’s nighttime vibe. I’ll have to wait and see it in person, obviously, but it seems like they stopped just short of making something incredible. I’m usually not one to speak negatively, but I was very excited about this. I work in live entertainment production, specifically managing production for nightlife venues, so it’s an aspect that I’m always focusing on when I look at a new spot.

For starters, the projected video behind the bandstand is just way too small. The wall is huge and the scaling is just off, making the video seem like an afterthought. Lighting seems incredibly basic and drab for a “nightclub,” even one that is a restaurant during the day. Even the sound system appears to be something temporary, not a well integrated and planned system befitting a destination nightclub. It appears to fall very short of the benchmark set by its older sister club in Los Angeles. There is so much potential there that, by the numerous photos and video angles I’ve seen, just wasn’t realized. For all of the hype, I was really expecting something much more than just a great restaurant that sort of halfway commits to being a bar at night. Maybe there is more coming in terms of production value, I hope. That, or my impression in person will be totally different.
When walking around, it wasn't clear to me where the "action" was supposed to take place. I figured it would be at the bandstand, but I was thinking "That's it?". Plus only about half the place has a good view of that area.. Which was odd.

There was a person dressed up in steam punk garb walking around and engaging the guests though. So at least that was something. Oh, and a whole table of people in themed clothing. I wasn't sure if they were off duty employees? Or actors put in for ambiance? Or maybe just a group of people that dressed to the theme of the Edison and ate some dinner.

Next Big Thing

But its in a Disney district. Are you saying restaurants DONT charge a bit extra than normal because they're leasing in the Springs?
Of course they do and it's not hard for them to get away with it either. Disney Springs is packed virtually every night.

If people are willing to pay a premium because they're on vacation or whatever the occasion, why would you leave money on the table? Especially with the prices Disney charges for rent.

TimeTrip

Of course they do and it's not hard for them to get away with it either. Disney Springs is packed virtually every night.

If people are willing to pay a premium because they're on vacation or whatever the occasion, why would you leave money on the table? Especially with the prices Disney charges for rent.
Of course they shouldn't be leave money on the table.. But I think the sentiment was that if this was at citywalk it might not be so overpriced... Hence "Thanks Disney!". :)

Next Big Thing

Of course they shouldn't be leave money on the table.. But I think the sentiment was that if this was at citywalk it might not be so overpriced... Hence "Thanks Disney!". :)
Toothsome is incredibly overpriced, so that’s a bad comparison. Not defending Edison, but more saying that Toothsome isn’t what I would be classifying as not being overpriced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom