Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
So I was talking to my kids about all the new stuff coming to WDW and a told them there was a rumor of Coco coming to Epcot and taking over the Three Cabarellos ride. My 8 year old daughter looked and me and said "Oh great another redo!" and she rolled her eyes so big I thought they would fall out of her head. I laughed so hard. She would really feel at home with some of the people around these boards.

Lets Respect

I bet the merchandise potential isn't there. It also didn't fare well through the holidays at the domestic box office, now it's running 15% behind Moana (started at 7% behind)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...that's the thing about "confirmed" rumors...it's like betting against the house
It’s not dead yet. Three months ago it was virtually guaranteed. Now, not as much.

I’m getting the feeling costs are being reassessed. Gran Fiesta is relatively new, and there’s far more in the park that needs help.

It also doesn’t help Guardians is a bit of a money pit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not dead yet. Three months ago it was virtually guaranteed. Now, not as much.

I’m getting the feeling costs are being reassessed. Gran Fiesta is relatively new, and there’s far more in the park that needs help.

It also doesn’t help Guardians is a bit of a money pit.

And I won't beat you up over it...but that's the "plausible deniability" thing that makes all insider tips suspect.

Here's my question: based on wdw operational pattern, would it make sense for them to spend a dime - even on a cheap overlay - when longterm IP cross sell potential hasnt been proven?

Coco is a great movie...acclaimed and sure Oscar winner...but it's not the kinda "bank" movie they like to put on rides. Whether we think that's wise or not.

We'll see if this one is resurrected.

smile

And I won't beat you up over it...but that's the "plausible deniability" thing that makes all insider tips suspect.

putting that in quotes is apt - bit of a stretch...
we're all aware of the fluidity of these things and use of that term infers things that martin doesn't deserve; others, of course, and we know who they are.

also prob not the best place to blanketly condemn conjecture, either

We'll see if this one is resurrected.

even if coco isn't slotted now, hard to imagine it would drift too far from long-term plans for the pavilion.
a logical fit, an attachable ip, and widely accepted by those exposed... bing-bang-boom

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
putting that in quotes is apt - bit of a stretch...
we're all aware of the fluidity of these things and use of that term infers things that martin doesn't deserve; others, of course, and we know who they are.

also prob not the best place to blanketly condemn conjecture, either

even if coco isn't slotted now, hard to imagine it would drift too far from long-term plans for the pavilion.
a logical fit, an attachable ip, and widely accepted by those exposed... bing-bang-boom

I'm specifically NOT blaming him for doing something screwy...you missed that part...

...however considering that a movie released on 11/19/17 has already been reported to be "greenlit" or "all but certain" and now on 1/06/18 is now "on hold" does lead credence to a caution approach.

1. Since when does wdw move that fast? I can think of 2 sorta examples - stretching the criteria a lot - no more.
2. Imagineering thinks EVERYTHING is a go...they're dreamers...it's what they do. We wouldn't have it any other way. But the accountants have other ideas. It is what it is. Small scale capex doesn't/hasn't brought in new clientele for about 20 years...so from that perspective a coco overlay is just a way to drag the stock down. As part of a bigger package? - then you're talking.

We'll see...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Pandora/Avatarland is just proof that WDW mangement are still willing to take risk (even if the merch hasn't been proven to sell). They didn't even own Avatar, and yet they went out of their way to make this land. (And spend what? 1 billion dollars for it) A refurb/theme change of the Mexican ride at Epcot is puny to that.

What was the historical context and construction history of avatarland?

I respect your opinion...but I disagree about it being "bold"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom