Skipper Canteen Reviews?

Luke P

Original Poster
Hello fellow Disney fans!

My girlfriend and I just made reservations for an early dinner at Skipper Canteen on Wednesday 1/31 at 355 PM. We are intrigued about the unique experience and we also believe that going to an early dinner will help us avoid larger crowds.

I have read reviews and the restaurant seems very nice and a lot of fun as well! I was just curious if anybody has eaten there and had personal thoughts whether good or bad.

Also, any recommendations? The whole fish looks really cool. Would we be able to share an entree? It's not necessarily a price issue, we just want to try many foods at Magic Kingdom and don't want to fill up at one place.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and I greatly appreciate any advice! Have a great day!!

DisneyMann

We really like it and have a lunch reservation on 1/24 for our arrival day this month. Menu is fairly eclectic with some plain stuff but the food is excellent and the atmosphere/servers are fantastic.

Mrhappyplace

My wife and I really enjoyed it a couple of months ago. She got the Taste like Chicken and I got the whole fish both were terrific. I can't imagine there would be a issue with the two of you sharing a entree. When you check in you may want to ask for the butterfly booth, it may increase your wait time but it is definitely the best table in the restaurant.

I am Timmy

We ate there a couple weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised. I got the " A Lot At Steak" salad, and while the menu says the jalapenos are pickled, mine were not. They were fresh, and hot, but only a few and I like hot food. The dressing was delicious, my family all had a taste and concurred. DH had the Sankuru Sadie's Seafood Stew, which he raved about. DS 22 had Dr. Falls' Signature Grilled Steak which he thoroughly enjoyed, and DS 25 had "Hardy Har Char" Siu Pork, which was fine (he is a man of few words). Our server, "Skipper" Christine I believe, was top notch and said yes to everything I asked for (she asked me what she could do for me this evening, and I answered "say yes to everything I ask for".) She also delivered on everything I asked for, which earned her a hefty tip and heartfelt note on a coaster from my family. They have a couple exotic Coca-Cola choices on the menu, which she allowed us all to taste before ordering (very cool). The boys also each got the Schweitzer Slush in a Jungle Skipper Canteen Souvenir Mug, which they found interesting and really liked the mug (which is metal and also cool). You can walk around and see the different rooms, very well themed. The food was good, the ambiance pleasant, the jokes were plentiful from Skipper Christine, and a good time was had by all!

Hcalvert

My family has eaten there the last two years we have been at Disney and will be eating there again during our trip this year. The menu has changed all three times since we visited, especially the Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak's side dishes. My teenaged son tried the Char Sui Pork and he liked it. The rest of us get the steak meal. My server last time overheard me lamenting that they took the yucca fries from the side dishes and replaced it with mashed plantains that I wasn't excited about. She surprised me by bringing me a side of the yucca fries from the kid's menu instead. Now Disney has replaced the mashed plantains with Jasmine rice and black beans. When my father-in-law looked at the menu online, he was intrigued by the "Baa Baa Berber" Lamb Chops and wants to try it. For dessert, the Kungaloosh is so good and not overly sweet. My sons and I have all gotten the Schweiter Slush and like it.

akfan513

My family eats there every trip. We love the atmosphere and food. It’s our favorite place to eat at MK. We enjoy the appetizers as well, you might consider splitting some of those too!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Definitely one of the best table service restaurants in MK - food far surpasses the likes of Tony's and Cinderella's Royal Table

I wont step on the Tony's land mine, but I'll argue that Cindy's for Lunch or Dinner is better quality and constancy . We've eaten there twice in the last quarter, both times ordering the Seafood Shu Mai appetizer and Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak. Both were good each time. Different accompaniments as previously noted by HCalvert, but the entree is solid. If you can get a table or booth in the library , its much better than the main room.

correcaminos

I have onion issues so what I had was a modified "tastes like chicken" to make sure everything was safe for me. The sauce was super flavorful. I had fruit instead of veggies since that was on my safe list.

My husband had the Beef Pasta and that was excellent. sadly it looks like that is not on the menu any longer :( It was really tasty.

My son had a sweet & sour kid's meal. Very good and not at all bland. We all enjoyed the Schweitzer's Fall slush drink. We enjoyed our whole meal there and will go back. Truthfully the best meal in MK right now for us.

I wont step on the Tony's land mine, but I'll argue that Cindy's for Lunch or Dinner is better quality and constancy .
I'll argue that Cindy's for lunch or dinner is far worse than the food we had there. The food was mediocre at best. You go there for the experience, not the food. So glad we don't do character meals any longer.

We had lunch at Skipper's Canteen this past week. It was good, and I'm glad we went. The food and the service was good. The menu selections are very different from elsewhere in the park, and that's a good thing. I don't think there's a cheeseburger on the menu. The decor is fabulous. Some of the items are truly beautiful. A butterfly collection in a side room stands out, and the tile work in the men's room is beautiful. The service was attentive and well done - but there was nothing special about it theme-wise. They were just good waiters.

monykalyn

We ate here Thanksgiving week. The chicken was good. The pork was ok at best- nothing special. My son liked the appetizer dumplings so much he ate two servings for dinner! Service was very good. Probably one and done for us though.

Have eaten here numerous times - always have the same thing as it is so good! Shu mai starter and chicken main - it has been fab 8 out of the 9 times I have been there. The other occasion, it felt like it had been sitting on a hot plate - still above everything else in MK though! Overall, however, I would not hesitate to recommend!

crxbrett

Went for the first time this past summer and me and my GF loved it! Lots of flavor in the food, decor is fun and our waiter was a real hoot! LOL Plus, they serve alcohol! She got the steak and I got the Tastes Like Chicken Because it Is! Both were good, although I think I will get the steak next time. The citrus-ginger rice that came with my Tastes Like Chicken was incredible though. That alone might sway me into getting it again!

We also got the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas. I HIGHLY recommend them! Tons of flavor and we ate them up in less than a few minutes.
For dessert we got the Coconut ice cream pineapple bar and the Kungaloosh! I would get the Kangaloosh! if you like dessert. It was really yummy!

Chet Dakota

Ate there on January 7. Service was good. Atmosphere was better. Food, not so much. Son had the fried chicken and he liked it. I had the pork, and was not impressed. A lot of fat in the pieces on the plate. I also got broccoli and it was not cooked and had zero taste, like it was just put in a pot of plain boiling water and taken out 5 minutes early and put on my plate. This was a "check the box" restaurant for us and will not be back.

Lets Respect

We ate there over the summer. Atmosphere is fun although I was hoping for the servers to be in character with the skipper thing, but maybe they changed that? Anyway, I remember the apps were really good and the rest of the meals were bland to disgusting. One meal, I'm going to say it was pork, was just pure fat grizzle. I won't be going back there which is a shame, because the interior is really neat. My recommendation would be to try it once and order lots of apps and keep the meals light to non-existent

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Over all, it is not my favorite place on the property but as for table service food at Magic Kingdom, it is much better then Tony's, Liberty Tree, and even CRT. The atmosphere is great, as are the cast members! If you have never been, absolutely give it a try!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I ate there when it first opened and was not impressed by the food so I gave it another try. Still not impressed. I did like the theming of the restaurant though. I will do Liberty Tree or even Cosmic Rays for a quick service over it.

Pam

danyoung56

I ate there once just after it opened. Food was excellent, and the server was into his schtick. I don't know if it's declined over the past couple of years, but when I ate there it was terrific.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom