Skipper Canteen Reviews?

habuma

We've enjoyed Skipper Canteen on several of our trips and would gladly go again. Skipper Canteen has an unusual menu, but it's really not as weird as some think it is. (Hey...it's not chicken nuggets and hot dogs!)

My favorite dish was the Skip's Mac-n-Cheese (which was reworked into Skips Beefy Baked Pasta...same ingredients, different presentation). Sadly, that has been removed from the menu recently. I've also enjoyed the Char Siu Pork, the "Tastes Like Chicken", and the S.E.A. Shu Mai has been a favorite appetizer with my family.

Be sure to take time to visit the library in the walkway between the Crew Mess Hall and the S.E.A. Room. Many of the books' titles and authors are either humorous or refer to some event/attraction/imagineer in Disney history. (Example: "Shades of Khaki" by B. Land)

BoarderPhreak

As far as theming goes, it's one of the best locations aside from BOG (or obviously, CRT). The food is a bit more "exotic" than most locations but not too far out there. A bit pricey, but all things considered... Definitely worth a go, at least once.

slipperalwaysfits

We're looking forward to trying it in the fall. I think so much of the dining experience in sit downs, depends on the waiter. Food is such a personal thing to people. I'm sure my DH will love the theaming and jokes!

ynahtebwdw

I wont step on the Tony's land mine, but I'll argue that Cindy's for Lunch or Dinner is better quality and constancy . We've eaten there twice in the last quarter, both times ordering the Seafood Shu Mai appetizer and Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak. Both were good each time. Different accompaniments as previously noted by HCalvert, but the entree is solid. If you can get a table or booth in the library , its much better than the main room.
That might be true but I won't set food in CRT again - last time we went was 2 years ago and the pork I was served gave me the worse case of food poisoning I have ever had in my life. I had to go to the hospital

GVentola

I'm a picky eater and there wasn't much on the menu that looked like it would be okay to me. I ended up getting an appetizer for an entrée, and that turned out okay. I did enjoy the Fanta Mango for an exotic soda. Nothing wrong with the service. I went there mostly because it was there and it was new and I wanted to check it out.

The4mousekeeters

Have eaten there for dinner twice - once in Jan and once back in May. Enjoyed it both times. Appetizer dumplings are fabulous. We had server Christine this past time (like other poster) and she was so great. I think it’s a great place to try at least once and then you’ll know if you want to try again. We did! :)

Otterhead

Easily my favorite spot in the MK. Great for adventurous eaters as well as "picky" eaters. Wonderful atmosphere (be sure to look through the books in the library), fun cast members, lots of tasty things to eat. I got the whole fried fish when I was there recently and it was really fantastic.

Nautilus

We've tried it twice and both times were enjoyable. It's not a favorite, but the food was good and we would go back. I enjoyed the chicken and rice dish. The rooms are fun and interesting. We've been able to walk up without reservations and wait only about 15 minutes. The service was also good, but keep in mind the servers are playing the part of Jungle Cruise Skippers, so puns abound.

SteamboatJoe

Food and service were excellent last May. A good mix of safe and adventurous foods. It probably would be my top lunch/dinner table service choice at MK.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We've tried it twice and both times were enjoyable. It's not a favorite, but the food was good and we would go back. I enjoyed the chicken and rice dish. The rooms are fun and interesting. We've been able to walk up without reservations and wait only about 15 minutes. The service was also good, but keep in mind the servers are playing the part of Jungle Cruise Skippers, so puns abound.

That was my 1 disappointment from our visit in January - our waiter didn't "play along" - service was very good but we didn't get the full experience. I'll be going back in November for a 2nd try.

Otterhead

That was my 1 disappointment from our visit in January - our waiter didn't "play along" - service was very good but we didn't get the full experience.
I've been twice; the first time I went, we had a large group of 14, and everyone was chatting and having their own conversations, so our "skipper" just played their part a bit to those of us remotely paying attention.

The second time, our server started doing a bit of "skipper spiel" when she saw my Adventurer's Club phone case, and said "you know the Adventurer's Club??" and we started talking about our memories of going there. So we didn't get the skipper experience, but a great time none the less :)

My favorite wacky moment there was when I was looking at the books in the library. A CM crept up behind me and whispered in my ear, "sir, those books are for club members only. Step away from the library." I whirled around and must have looked baffled; they glared at me sternly for a second, then laughed and said. "Ha! Just kidding, let me give you a guided tour," and started pointing out their favorites.

I really want the steak but plan on asking to sub the rice and black beans for mash potatos and broccoli, this restaurant shares a kitchen with LTT so it should be a problem

Dutch Inn '76

We ate there in January. We were at WDW for 8 days and Skipper's Canteen was the best meal I had. The atmosphere is nice in the place as well. I look forward to going back. The waiters are just waiters though, nothing special there.

Dutch Inn '76

Say what??? When I was there, the waiter was doing schtick all the way through - you couldn't shut him up! That's one of the advertised perks of the place - that the wait staff are doing jokes in the same style as Jungle Cruise skippers.

Yeah, well, ours was a boring gal that did none of that. Took our order, brought our food; disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom