Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

No Name

I agree with this 100%. It’s a huge fail to make a whole Star Wars Land and not include epic characters like Yoda or Vader or Boba Fett. I get the whole concept of making it a truly immersive land by having it be a specific planet in the Star Wars universe at a specific point in time but I’d personally be fine with a small lapse in continuity of the timeline to get access to all of the current and future characters. I think we are in the minority on this though. I brought this up a little while back in another thread (maybe it was even this one many pages ago) and was largely shouted down by people insisting that the land is only going to be new trilogy based and that classic characters would only appear outside of Star Wars Land.

I fully agree as well, and said something similar a week or so ago in the DL thread. Darth Vader is arguably the most popular and most timeless character and I don't see that changing in the near future. I'm usually one to push for accuracy, but in this case, accuracy is defined by their own science-fiction canon rather than real-world history. Because they defined it in the first place, they should have the flexibility to reshape it as needed. Of course, it's be a better business decision, in my opinion.

The only thing I disagree with is that we're in the minority. I doubt the majority of folks know the differences between the Empire and First Order stormtroopers (pictured below), much less care about said differences. I doubt the majority are happy that profitable characters Jedi Mickey, Darth Goofy, etc. are no more. Heck, I doubt the majority were anything but entertained by the below video.

FIRST-ORDER-STORMTROOPER-HASBRO-10.jpg

I doubt the majority of people forgot that Star Wars is entertainment, not a religion.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't like the idea of ruining the continuity. Disney is spending hundreds of millions to get the details right for it all to be nullified by people who want to see Darth Vader..
They’re called fans. The ones who grew up with the franchise and supported it for 40 years. The ones who got hooked by the good episodes and stuck with it.

What’s an IP based land without its most famous icons?

AEfx

I think you are grossly underestimating the demand for this land. I am not a Star Wars fan, but even I want to see it, however, if you look at attendance figures just for the Star Wars weekend, May the 4th be with you, you would have to be living in a dream world to think that this will not bring the house of mouse to a new peak in attendance.

PPS. They are going to advertise them both together now and it is a given that they will do it when they both are open. However, there will be little need to spend much on advertising the first few years. That is how big I think this thing is. We will see who is right about the popularity.

Well, on this one I think we crossed some wires. I think the Star Wars Lands are going to be pretty unprecedented not only in terms of theme park demand, but even as far as locations in the world that the most people want to visit simultaneously. It's going to be like Superbowl Sunday or the Olympics every day for a very long time once these places open.

That's why I can't see them wanting to just operate Disneyland's version by itself any longer than necessary. Anaheim is already gridlocked for even seasonal events something HMH - my God, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like as the only place to see SWL on the planet. Especially since apparently anything that was going to be done to try to ease a bit of the congestion has seemingly gone by the wayside and anything that is done certainly won't be there by the time SWL opens.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Question: I recently saw updated drawings and one was of a toy shop and behind the counter they had a character. I’ve seen characters that are creatures in other drawings who look like servers and cashiers. Surely Disney isn’t going THAT far in theming??? That would greatly exceed expectation but barely practical from an employee/operations standpoint.

I can see in character and costume, but I can't see a practical way for them to do creature makes that would be convincing.

EricsBiscuit

They’re called fans. The ones who grew up with the franchise and supported it for 40 years. The ones who got hooked by the good episodes and stuck with it.

What’s an IP based land without its most famous icons?
like you I am a Star Wars fan. But what separates Disney is the details. You have to take the theme park median seriously. It also doesn't make any sense at all that Darth Vader would go out for a meet and greet. The same goes for almost all of the characters.

Movielover

I can see in character and costume, but I can't see a practical way for them to do creature makes that would be convincing.

Well they could always do something similar to the old Triceratops Encounter at IoA.

2015-09-14-1442260008-1637370-RaptorEncounter10-thumb.jpg

Also many creatures from the new films are practical and could be used in limited fashion.

Force-Awakens-Puppet.jpg

Just a thought. Although I highley doubt they could go the old school route and use elephants as banthas.

Mardji_ANH_Bantha2.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I fully agree as well, and said something similar a week or so ago in the DL thread. Darth Vader is arguably the most popular and most timeless character and I don't see that changing in the near future. I'm usually one to push for accuracy, but in this case, accuracy is defined by their own science-fiction canon rather than real-world history. Because they defined it in the first place, they should have the flexibility to reshape it as needed. Of course, it's be a better business decision, in my opinion.

The only thing I disagree with is that we're in the minority. I doubt the majority of folks know the differences between the Empire and First Order stormtroopers (pictured below), much less care about said differences. I doubt the majority are happy that profitable characters Jedi Mickey, Darth Goofy, etc. are no more. Heck, I doubt the majority were anything but entertained by the below video.

FIRST-ORDER-STORMTROOPER-HASBRO-10.jpg

I doubt the majority of people forgot that Star Wars is entertainment, not a religion.

Agreed. I meant the majority here on this board, not the majority of overall guests. It may actually not be the majority just a vocal group of purists. Any minute now someone will show up to “lecture” us on the concept of theme and tell us that the land cannot be immersive if Darth Vader appears in a time when he is supposed to be dead.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
like you I am a Star Wars fan. But what separates Disney is the details. You have to take the theme park median seriously. It also doesn't make any sense at all that Darth Vader would go out for a meet and greet. The same goes for almost all of the characters.
It doesn’t need to be a standard meet and greet (although Kylo Ren has one at Launch Bay which is quite popular). Darth Vader appears in Jedi Training Academy or whatever it’s called now. He is also in the stage show in the front of the park. I would have liked them to have moved those types of things inside the boarders or SW land somewhere.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well they could always do something similar to the old Triceratops Encounter at IoA.

2015-09-14-1442260008-1637370-RaptorEncounter10-thumb.jpg

Also many creatures from the new films are practical and could be used in limited fashion.

Force-Awakens-Puppet.jpg

Just a thought. Although I highley doubt they could go the old school route and use elephants as banthas.

Mardji_ANH_Bantha2.jpg

Yeah, this would work for atmosphere, but the actual CM is serving you will probably have to be a human character.

bclane

Agreed. I meant the majority here on this board, not the majority of overall guests. It may actually not be the majority just a vocal group of purists. Any minute now someone will show up to “lecture” us on the concept of theme and tell us that the land cannot be immersive if Darth Vader appears in a time when he is supposed to be dead.
Time for a Force ghost meet and greet? Come on Disney make it happen!

bclane

As long as they go old man Vader and not prequel Anakin:confused:
I have a work around. You see, Darth Vader is conflicted soul. Sooooo, you could have a dark side and a light side Force Ghost for him on a choose your own path meet and greet. I think I know which Anakin you’d have playing the dark side part.

EricsBiscuit

I’m all for that. But I expect to see the most famous characters from Star Wars in a land dedicated to Star Wars.
It's not dedicated to Star Wars. It's in the Star Wars universe. I think there's a difference. When you needlessly throw in thematically incorrect characters and details in a land where everything has a backstory except the aforementioned, it dilutes your brand and, IMO, is bad for quality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom