PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
However, my experience is probably why they are making this change. I find WoD fun to walk around in, and fairly difficult to shop at. Merchandise is oddly arranged in many rooms, and it's hard to find what I'm looking for (when I'm looking for something specific). Nice sight-seeing, but bad buying experience.

This 1000× I love World of Disney's theme and I like to wander around in there, but I feel like it has no flow, I feel like I get lost in there and I have a very good sense of direction. Not saying I don't enjoy getting lost in there but finding what your looking for or finding your way to a check out counter can be a pain. Fix the layout not the theme!

Cmdr_Crimson

Plain white walls. No color. No theme. No decor or props of any kind. Overly bright standard Lowe's light fixtures.
I don't get it. How is looking like a warehouse or pharmacy more main stream? It's boring and unimaginative.

The best example of this drudgery....Look at the cold souless entryway to the New "Improved?" Disney stores..
IMG_0001.jpg

KBLovedDisney

I'm starting to get this bad nightmarish feeling that we have somehow succumbed to Lucy's impromptu vision of fashion versus Jenna's.
(yes, I am movie referencing. I movie reference when upset)

Lirael

It`s kind of weird how inside the parks they're trying to make everything IP related, but then go and try to scrub IP off stuff like this. It's even weirder when you consider this news along with Cirque de Soleil changing for a more disney show.

It's so sad, I'm trying to make a trip happen next year with what will be a first time disney guest and now they likely wont see all the cool details on WoD :(

COProgressFan

Looks familiar, in some way. In fact, it wouldn't surprise if the pic below is the design they are shooting for. @COProgressFan says they are looking for increased sales. Apple stores have sales through the roof.
apple-simi-valley-800x456.jpg

Well, anyone can figure they're looking for increased sales. Generally the company really won't do anything unless they expect increased sales after the fact. What I've heard is their revenue projections on this renovation are so over the top as to be laughable. Does anyone really think they will have a 50% increase in sales? How about doubling sales? Yes, there are people who in the company who are suggesting just that (with a straight face). Apple stores have great sales, but mostly for reasons other than the decor.

Iger has always had a thing for the Apple store look though, and obviously merchandise man Chapek is all on board too. But much like everything else in WDW, am I really going to pay a premium for merchandise in a generic setting rather than a unique one? Similar merchandise can be found at Walmart/Target, etc., for much less, so why pay more at another bland store like WoD?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Looks familiar, in some way. In fact, it wouldn't surprise if the pic below is the design they are shooting for. @COProgressFan says they are looking for increased sales. Apple stores have sales through the roof.
apple-simi-valley-800x456.jpg
This is exactly what is happened and has been a trend in retail for awhile now. This delusion that Apple “Town Centers” ( :rolleyes: )are successful because of a confused understanding of their design. Apple Stores are highly detailed, not spartan and cheap.

World of Disney is a remnant of the idea that slapping on characters, color and stuff is what makes space “Disney.” It could use an update, but not in the supposed direction.

KBLovedDisney

One person gives two lines of what they think is going to happen and it's like they burned it to the ground.
You mean me? I can't help but get into quite a tizzy about what they are doing. I am one of those people who will actually set aside a day or two just to go to World of Disney. I don't buy much, but I absolutely love the atmosphere. So, yeah. To me, it does feel like they burned it to the ground. Honestly, worse actually because what will be left after this silly refurb is no atmosphere, but just the products or remnants I should say.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Hmmmm...not sure how I feel about all this.

World of Disney is a chaotic mess, but I love it. Not sure I understand the redesign- Disney Springs is elegant but it’s like that family member that has a beautiful house and you are afraid to touch anything. I think it works because it does stand out against the sea of beautiful stores that, frankly, all look and feel the same. Me and my wallet are drawn there despite bypassing most of the other vanilla stores.

With the Disney store- I don’t know, I kind of get it. As a grown man who loves Disney, there is a slight part of me that feels...silly....judged...as I enter the Disney store with the giant Mickey cutout that serves as the door and giant winnie the pooh characters everywhere. Disney is now synonymous with classic Disney as well as Star Wars and Marvel and I can understand them wanting to go after a more mature audience. If Disney is babyish and only cartoon characters, you alienate part of your audience. But if a Disney store is more hip and more trendy and you can still find all the stuff you love- then I get it.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom