PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

Jon81uk

but then go and try to scrub IP off stuff like this

They are making it cheaper to change the IP regularly. So the room can change quickly from linking to the current movie release back to something more generic and then onto the new release next time.

Disvillain63

Looks familiar, in some way. In fact, it wouldn't surprise if the pic below is the design they are shooting for. @COProgressFan says they are looking for increased sales. Apple stores have sales through the roof.
apple-simi-valley-800x456.jpg
It might be good for Apple, but it wasn't good for J C Penney's. The Apple exec messed that redesign up and sales plummeted.

Walt d

Shocking that Disney is really compromising the "Disney Difference" at Disney Springs to an uninspiring outlet mall that are all over the country
Ah gee i was there the world of disney opened. There were 3 very long lines i went up to the, cast member at a door in the back facing, the lake, got wright in got two of the big, guide books for world of disney, score” i love that place!

Walt d

Ah” i love my ipod.and love going to the fruit store. And like the clean design of there store front. And that disney store front. That you made. Is clean design. If your in to kustom cars like me, thats were its at. clean design. So get over it.

DrewmanS

It might be good for Apple, but it wasn't good for J C Penney's. The Apple exec messed that redesign up and sales plummeted.
The problem with JC Penny was the Exec didn’t understand a basic principle of clothing retail. People don’t want a $10 shirt. They want a $25 shirt for $10 even if it’s the same shirt.

I don’t think Disney is trying to copy Apple’s minimialistic design, what they are trying to implement is a flexible design. Makes it easier to change out for IP, seasonality, and trends. The concept that departments or product offerings can grow or shrink with demand without concern for the store decorations or theming is good, we will have to wait to see if the new design is well executed and aesthetically pleasing.

KBLovedDisney

Do we have an actual timeline of when the refurb will take place, and what sections of the store will be moved over to the new location during parts of the refurb?

Obobru

Great news I love the current design as it is well themed and we can spend hours wondering round and after always going in with the intention of buying a cup and a t-shirt we end up spending stupid amounts of money as we pick up things we like then hammer the credit card. With this new simple dull layout it will be easier to be in and out quickly and therefore hopefully less junk will be purchased. As the quality of merch has become so bad over the past few years we actually have more older things than new ones due to the quality so thanks Disney on helping us spend less! Hopefully they will strip out the Main Street stores next and go for Walmart style fittings and then my holidays will become a vastly cheaper.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I like the theming and have spent a fair amount of time there, however if this means that the new World of Disney store will finally sell Marvel merchandise, then I'm all for it. That has irked me a bit as the Marvel Super Hero store is extremely small and limited and WoD has zero Marvel merchandise in there for no logical reason.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
This is one I just can't get behind. The rich theming is what drives me to this store, really nothing else. Its just awesome to walk through the place, and sometimes yes I'll make a purchase because I am there and immersed in it all. If they make this thing into an Apple store, I will just buy Merch at Wal-Mart.

COProgressFan

This is one I just can't get behind. The rich theming is what drives me to this store, really nothing else. Its just awesome to walk through the place, and sometimes yes I'll make a purchase because I am there and immersed in it all. If they make this thing into an Apple store, I will just buy Merch at Wal-Mart.

Right, if I'm going to buy t-shirts in a white box store anyway, why would I pay $30 when I can buy similar items a few steps away at Uniqlo at half the price?

In all seriousness, Disney has been aware of the price differential problem with Uniqlo, Alex & Ani, Vera Bradley, etc,. when compared to the same or similar merchandise in Disney-owned stores. And unlike what common sense might tell you, Disney lowering prices hasn't been the response.

KBLovedDisney

I honestly don't mind simplicity when it actually has some usefulness AND a good amount of creativity to boot, but it just looks like creativity and what was usage of imagination (Hello...Dreamfinder?...Anyone?) is going out the window.

...or should I say into the bowl next to the other apples...

And with that corny metaphor, I have said my peace on this.

Donaldfan1934

The new World of Disney store will remove nearly all of the themeing and props. More of a "vanilla box" with departments that can be changed out easily. Lots of white slat walls and apparently more along the lines of other shops in Springs like Uniqlo.

Half of WoD will be closed during the renovation, necessitating the extra space. Once complete, the other half will undergo work.

Believe it or not, Disney is hoping their sales go up signifcantly as a result of the renovation (not sure I see the connection between a bland store and higher sales, but I digress). I wish it weren't true, but generic is the way they are going, from what I've heard.
Sad, but not too surprised. Just further proof that Disney company as we once knew it is dead and the divisions that we've traditionally identified it by (WDAS, Pixar, P&R, etc.) are just relatively small cogs in a mega corporation that might as well be called Viacom 2 now.

jaklgreen

If they want more sales then they need to get a new buyer for their woman's clothing. I usually get a shirt for myself but the last few years the cute woman's clothing are sized all wrong. The X-large size is like a medium. I can hear other women grumble about it when shopping. I asked a few cast members about it and they said the buyer is a petite lady and she buys from companies that make their clothing small. It is very inconsistent and very disappointing. I am not huge but I buy X-large because I do not wear tight fitting clothes and nothing would fit me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom