News The Hall of Presidents is now open

jbolen2

There was probably 100-120 empty seats in the show we went in.

Attachments

• BE5DCD15-9EFE-4241-B3C5-A09BB03C33CB.jpeg
    BE5DCD15-9EFE-4241-B3C5-A09BB03C33CB.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 91

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I’m so conflicted over this. The imagineers HAVE to be better than this. Are they not up to the level of skill of their predecessors? Did they fire a bunch of talent? Was it done on purpose to mock or discredit? Either scenario seems a stretch. I just can’t imagine why the look of this AA is so off.

The sculpture is just that, a solid work of art that the artist has complete control over. The AAs are a latex mold of the original face placed over the various mechanisms that cause the facial movements.

WDI has done a much better job than this at creating AAs based on real people or characters portrayed by real people, for example, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Now, here’s an example of what’s currently possible with AAs (Disney’s term, but it has become ubiquitous for all theme park robots)
As far as facial and head movements are concerned, this example is well beyond the capabilities of any AA WDI has created. Clearly, there’s room for Imagineering to improve and explore. But does Disney want to invest? It is sad that they can’t at least live up to (what should be) their standard, GMwML.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
With today's tech you'd think they'd be able to use various stills and videos of Trump to render a likeness, convert it into a 3D model and subsequent AA cast. Even eyeballing it shouldn't result in something that looks as rough as the AA we're presented with in the Hall of Presidents.

Something's screwy here. Strange is all I can say. If Madame Trousseau's could pull it off I don't see why Disney couldn't. Maybe it's the underlying mech, a bad sculpt, a Hillary to Trump makeover or something else. In any case I can't imagine The Donald himself being too pleased with it's likeness or lack thereof. I haven't reached Tin Foil Hat status yet but I'm starting to smell a conspiracy.

Last edited:

Rteetz

WDI has done a much better job than this at creating AAs based on real people or characters portrayed by real people, for example, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Now, here’s an example of what’s currently possible with AAs (Disney’s term, but it has become ubiquitous for all theme park robots)
As far as facial and head movements are concerned, this example is well beyond the capabilities of any AA WDI has created. Clearly, there’s room for Imagineering to improve and explore. But does Disney want to invest? It is sad that they can’t at least live up to (what should be) their standard, GMwML.

You know Disney doesn't create most of their AAs anymore right? Garner Holt is their main contractor for AAs.

Next Big Thing

http://www.yesterland.com/presidents.html
I just read this great Yesterland article about HoP and got a kick out of the decorations in this picture celebrating the addition of George W. Bush. Like there's no way this would have happened today for 45:
presidents17_banner22002ww.jpg
It's worth noting that by the time this opened, it was shortly after 9/11, when 43's approval numbers were at their highest. He was seen as a true leader in the face of immense tragedy. With 45's approval numbers sitting around the lowest they've been, it's no great surprise that they didn't do any fanfare for him.

Magenta Panther

This Trump AA fail (at least the face) and the broken Yeti are Robert Iger's true legacy. Not all the stuff he bought, but the way he disrespects the Walt Disney legacy in order to cut corners and build profits to please shareholders (screw park guests! They're just a bunch of chumps as far as he's concerned). I don't know if he's just a shallow moneygrubber or if he really can't see how bad all of this looks. Walt used to walk through Disneyland and mingle with the guests, ask their opinions, and experience the rides to see if he could improve them. Can you imagine Iger doing anything like that? He's the anti-Walt in every way. I'm so glad this Trump AA is getting so much shade from the press. It makes Iger look bad, not that he's likely to fix it, any more than he fixed the Yeti after a major Florida newspaper wrote a story about it some years ago. Iger doesn't care. Keep the money rolling in - that's all he cares about. God I hate the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkTwain

The Hillary face theory is topping news sites social media right now... A little conspiracy-ish but not implausible, and definitely an interesting possibility.

Given that Disney did claim to be making AAs for both candidates, I wonder if they maybe tried to create one sculpt that could fit both faces, then making final changes (hair, make-up, costume) based on who actually won? Thereby resulting in a face with elements of both candidates. It might have been a money-saving tactic to reduce waste.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Hillary face theory is topping news sites social media right now... A little conspiracy-ish but not implausible, and definitely an interesting possibility.

Given that Disney did claim to be making AAs for both candidates, I wonder if they maybe tried to create one sculpt that could fit both faces, then making final changes (hair, make-up, costume) based on who actually won? Thereby resulting in a face with elements of both candidates. It might have been a money-saving tactic to reduce waste.

It ordinarily takes them about 8 months to prepare the new president. Since the moment Trump was elected, they had 13 months. So, I don't buy the re-purposed Hillary theory.

Old Mouseketeer

Absolutely hate the Lincoln voice. Royal Dano's performances had gravitas, texture, and presence. This one was so generic and devoid of character. And the AA was overly animated.

Meh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom