Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

WildcatDen

You should also take in account that the ones who actually have inside information have stated that it's most likely happening unless it is a box office failure similar to The Good Dinosaur (Coco should surpass, at least the domestic gross of TGD, by next week) and that all the plans have been finished, as @marni1971 and @Magic Feather have stated. Also @WildcatDen said that the Coco Overlay was happening even if it's not a box office success (which Coco has proven to be so far)...
Yes, I had heard it was happening. You could say regardless, but I think the implication was, unless it was a flop, it would happen and we can see, it is no flop. I would expect an official announcement sooner rather than later. That said, Serpico has been silent for going on 5 months. . .

Princess Leia

This is regardless of the attraction inside: there needs to be better signage. One of my traveling companion’s last week skipped right past Mexico (because she lives in El Paso and didn’t feel like spending eating and drinking Mexican cuisine with us for some reason) and she didn’t ride the ride, because she didn’t know it was there. Sure, they have a tiny sign in front mentioning Gran Fiesta, but if Disney wants people to ride Coco, they’ll need better product placement.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Then you have to question the wisdom of putting the hottest property of the day into an attraction that is woefully under capacity.

If* Coco moved in... It would have more riders than Frozen by about 1/3 but still under capacity. Realistically it needs what? About 2300 per hour? A few more boats and a faster current and it should be doable not that it's ideal, but it is doable. Ride duration would be about 6.5 mins long.

Last edited:

JBIRDTO

I don't see it because the movie is not very good, and it does not seem to be all that popular, We just got back from Disney and all the Coco merchandise was pretty much sitting there, no one was buying anything and kids seemed pretty uninterested in even looking at it.
Comes down to personal opinion. By what measure is this movie not good? Great original story, engaging music and a celebration of a Mexican holiday and tradition honouring family. Had a tear in my eye. Let's wait to see what domestic box office does.

This movie is tough from a merchandise perspective as most of us in North America don't know or understand the holiday. Skeletons mean Halloween to us. I think this overlay could have long term staying power as a celebration of a rich culture. Merchandise will come and will probably do better then the generic items now found in Mexico. They could do a fantastic seasonal overlay of the market areas in the indoor pavilion to celebrate this holiday. Hope it is a go. Let's pray merchandise is not the deciding factor.

Tay

I saw Coco and it was great . I had low expectations for it and only went to see it because my little cousin wanted to. Olaf was long but people are doing the absolute most with their hate for it. Coco was a little dark but still great. I’m happy they didn’t make the movie mainly about the day of the dead.

I would definitely want a Coco themed ride. Miguel is adorable. The animation was beautiful.

Are any of the characters meeting at WDW? I saw a Miguel puppet but they didn’t list the park he was at. It’s adorable and creative.

GlacierGlacier

About adding capacity - a lot of people I've talked to had no idea there was a boat ride in the mexico pavilion. It's so under-attended that they don't even show a wait-time in the MyDisneyExperience app. If it was rethemed to Coco and heavily advertised as a new experience a la Frozen Ever After, to many people it'd be like a whole new ride. Effectively adding capacity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
About adding capacity - a lot of people I've talked to had no idea there was a boat ride in the mexico pavilion. It's so under-attended that they don't even show a wait-time in the MyDisneyExperience app. If it was rethemed to Coco and heavily advertised as a new experience a la Frozen Ever After, to many people it'd be like a whole new ride. Effectively adding capacity.

Gran Fiesta does show up on the list of attractions at Epcot with a wait time. If you mean that the wait time is always minimal... usually. But I've seen it jump to 15 or 30 minutes at peak times.

Fox&Hound

I don't see it because the movie is not very good, and it does not seem to be all that popular, We just got back from Disney and all the Coco merchandise was pretty much sitting there, no one was buying anything and kids seemed pretty uninterested in even looking at it.
Was this a joke or were you being serious? CoCo is a huge hit!

In regards to capacity fears, didn't an insider mention the line could be rerouted to the one store?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have to think this is something that could be announced in the 12 days promo thing building off the success of the movie. I'm not expecting it to happen but with this particular project I think it wouldn't be the right move to wait til D23 in 2019

They're announcing capital construction in the 12 days thing?

And it would make sense to wait 2 years to announce an overlay of a ride that has a movie out about it now?

Very confused...enlighten me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If* Coco moved in... It would have more riders than Frozen by about 1/3 but still under capacity. Realistically it needs what? About 2300 per hour? A few more boats and a faster current and it should be doable not that it's ideal, but it is doable. Ride duration would be about 6.5 mins long.
Load / unload dictates the capacity. There isn’t any more to be had. Unload stacks as it is.

huwar18

They're announcing capital construction in the 12 days thing?

And it would make sense to wait 2 years to announce an overlay of a ride that has a movie out about it now?

Very confused...enlighten me.

They didn't announce Frozen Ever After until a year after the movie came out. So, I wouldn't put it past Disney to wait 2 years to announce an overlay.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is the most obnoxious form of trolling. You are in a rumour thread, we are discussing rumours. Add something worthwhile to the conversation or only post in the news-based threads.

Rumors are fine...
...until "greenlit" gets tossed around...that's where things like this spiral out of control.

Only the accountants "greenlight" anything. Just advising caution.

Context does matter. Thanks for the enlightenment though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom