Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

SamN'Dean

Disney's ordered the Frozen short that plays before Coco to stop being shown after Dec. 7th.

It was a stupid idea. Typical Disney misunderstanding their audience.

That will be nice. The 2nd and 3rd time I saw Coco, I just waited 30 minutes until after the movie was supposed to start and then walked in- would get there just as Olaf put his star on the tree and the short would end. Perfecto.

Princess Leia

Coco was just nominated for a boatload of Annie Awards (sorry, can’t remember the exact number), overtaking its competition- Cars 3 and The Boss Baby.

Unless an international film wows Academy voters for the first time in years (and we could talk forever about how the majority of Academy voters don’t know how to handle Best Animated Film), I think Coco is the eventual winner.

Princess Leia

Looks at the 1-2 hour wait for Frozen Ever After...

Yeah, overlays don't do anything.
I waited 55 minutes for it last Tuesday (posted time was 85), and the only thing that worries me about the Coco overlay is that the queue for Frozen was horrendously awful. I understand they didn’t have the space, so that makes me a little worried for Coco & Mexico (even though insiders have stated the queue can be refigured).

The great thing about a Coco overlay (along with Ratatouille + whatever goes into the UK), is that it will take people out of the Frozen line. I waited 5 minutes for Gran Fiesta- despite the sign in front, I really don’t think that people know it is back there. So, flashier yet tasteful signage is going to need to be a must. At the same time, Disney can’t promote it as an E ticket. It’s not- it’s a solid C. Regardless, three new rides in the WS should help bring Frozen down to 30-40 minute waits (which is still too long, I don’t think I’d wait more than 20 in the future).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While having opened in big countries, Coco hasn't been released yet in a lot more countries and won't until after the New Year. It has legs.

If Disney made rides out of animated features based on box office or critical acclaim, then we would have already had announcements about new rides based on: Inside Out, Moana, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Tangled, Up, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Brave (which may be the UK ride), Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pinocchio, Bambi, and One Hundred and One Dalmatians.

If doing poorly at the box office or lacking critical acclaim meant the IP would never be considered for a ride, then we wouldn't have had Splash Mountain or Wonderland Tea Cups.

Timothy_Q

If Disney made rides out of animated features based on box office or critical acclaim, then we would have already had announcements about new rides based on: Inside Out, Moana, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Tangled, Up, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Brave (which may be the UK ride), Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pinocchio, Bambi, and One Hundred and One Dalmatians.

Agreed.

But 2 of those movies have rides already

No Name

While having opened in big countries, Coco hasn't been released yet in a lot more countries and won't until after the New Year. It has legs.

If doing poorly at the box office or lacking critical acclaim meant the IP would never be considered for a ride, then we wouldn't have had Splash Mountain or Wonderland Tea Cups.

Bro, we went over this, there's already announcements for Big Hero 6 and Inside Out rides.

Big-Hero-6-ride.jpg

ZZ4FB60668.jpg

BrianLo

Unless an international film wows Academy voters for the first time in years (and we could talk forever about how the majority of Academy voters don’t know how to handle Best Animated Film), I think Coco is the eventual winner.

Even then it is slim pickings (The Breadwinner perhaps being the only thing worth mentioning). Not that Coco doesn't deserve it, but this year's competition pales compared to 2016. Coco will sweep.

RSoxNo1

Looks at the 1-2 hour wait for Frozen Ever After...

Yeah, overlays don't do anything.
It certainly revitalized a quieter area, but those waits are largely a function of insufficient capacity. We knew that well before the attraction even opened. By that same logic, Peter Pan's Flight and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train are the two best rides in the Magic Kingdom because they have the longest lines.

DisneyDodo

It certainly revitalized a quieter area, but those waits are largely a function of insufficient capacity. We knew that well before the attraction even opened. By that same logic, Peter Pan's Flight and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train are the two best rides in the Magic Kingdom because they have the longest lines.
It’s true that the ride has low capacity, but Maelstrom wasn’t commanding anywhere near the same lines.

Also, something people fail to consider when discussing the relationship between a ride’s wait times and it’s popularity: long lines themselves deter other people from joining the line, so as the line grows it becomes increasingly more difficult for the ride to attract guests. Therefore, if there are two rides with equal capacities, and one has twice the wait time, it would be fair to say that that ride is more than twice as popular.

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

I feel like at this point the only thing that could derail this overlay is if some of these other projects go too far over budget.

ninjaprincesst

I feel like at this point the only thing that could derail this overlay is if some of these other projects go too far over budget.
I don't see it because the movie is not very good, and it does not seem to be all that popular, We just got back from Disney and all the Coco merchandise was pretty much sitting there, no one was buying anything and kids seemed pretty uninterested in even looking at it.

DisneyFan18

@marni1971 just to be sure ¿Did the changes made to the UK pavilion attraction (or the reason why they were made) had any impact on the Coco attraction? ¿Is it still going as planned? :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom