'Holidays Around the World' to become 'Epcot International Festival of the Holidays'

peter11435

You know every year someone post how this year's holiday tag has been reduced. And if every year that was true this holiday tag would be reduced now to just about nothing. I had the unique opportunity of meeting and talking to a firework tech about the show. He was very candid and open about how and what they do for the holiday tag and all of the other special holiday tags. I do not believe there was any cut. What was mentioned was how they have to use substitute fireworks when the available intended inventory is not in stock. But on sheer volume of fireworks, including the finale, it seems just fine to me. I believe that while youtube while show changes, it will show also about the same volume of fireworks. In fact from YouTube videos I can tell you that the finale is about 6 Seconds of pure explosions coming off of both barges. Let me know when it's significantly less than that. ;)
The finale was without a doubt significantly reduced from what it was throughout the 2000's.

ToTBellHop

Also hearing about this. Has our resident Illuminations expert @marni1971 weighed in on this? Do you still make an appearance on the Earth Globe?
My hope is that it is accurate that the show is bare-bones this week as it wasn't supposed to start until this Friday. I think it was the right call to start it with the Festival of the Holidays, but it's plausible that the decision was made too late to get the right pyro. We'll know for sure on Friday, but it's quite easy to see the reduction in last night's performance, which also had some timing issues.

Disone

The finale was without a doubt significantly reduced from what it was throughout the 2000's.
Probably since 2000 but I can't find a YouTube video of that. It would be interesting to see a YouTube video of 2000 versus 2007 versus 2017. And then to have voting of which one was the best, which one was the biggest, and not let you know which year it's from. Until after you vote :)

ToTBellHop

Its plausible because that's the reality. My friend literally told me "the show will not be the same next week" while I sat and ate my turkey and dressing in front of the American Adventure before the show last night.
I understand that, but I wasn't there for the discussion. So I am saying the statement is plausible, believable.

I wouldn't mark it as fact until I indeed see a change on Friday. But that's just my metric.

Others blindly believe everything they read on Facebook, for instance.

peter11435

Probably since 2000 but I can't find a YouTube video of that. It would be interesting to see a YouTube video of 2000 versus 2007 versus 2017. And then to have voting of which one was the best, which one was the biggest, and not let you know which year it's from. Until after you vote :)
The tag didn't premier until 2003 or 2004 I believe. It then ran with a much more robust finale for many years until around the time they changed the audio a few years ago.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The tag didn't premier until 2003 or 2004 I believe. It then ran with a much more robust finale for many years until around the time they changed the audio a few years ago.
Yep it was 2005 I believe.

For anyone interested in changes, your an see some previous years at http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/reflections-of-earth-with-peace-on-earth-finale/video.htm

I wasn't expecting the show to begin until after Thanksgiving, so not sure if what we are seeing now is the final version. Guess we'll find out later.

Disone

Thank you for that. As I was doing youtube searches for holiday tag in 2000 I really began to doubt it was done that long ago. Reflections of earth was brand spanking new and I remember the speculation of would they keep it or run Holiday Illumination. They kept it. Reflections existed for several years before the Holiday tag.

Cake

I wasn't expecting the show to begin until after Thanksgiving, so not sure if what we are seeing now is the final version. Guess we'll find out later.

I’ll be there Thanksgiving night and will get to enjoy the show while enjoying the delicious food.

The food and cocktails at the kiosks look incredible. I’m soooo excited

donsullivan

Premium Member
I’m here tonight as a test run to photograph the tag from the FastPass location. I’ll also be back on Friday (weather permitting). Im not as obsessive about counting shells as others, I just care what it looks like.

Update: It's always hard to tell whether something is missing, or had to be replaced because that shell type is no longer available. Tonight, it definitely felt like it was pulled together quickly and not yet fully ready for it's normal form which is consistent with what we were told to expect. Most of the show looks and feels similar but when they got to the end and the WW3 barges go off, only the one on the east side of the lagoon launched so the finale was pretty lopsided.

D85_0726.jpg

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, I guess they weren't given the means to flesh the show out like my friend hoped they would. But honestly, it has been a weak show ever since they replaced Walter Cronkite with the kindergarten teacher :(
It has been scaled back yearly beginning a couple of years after its debut.

Still a nice addition, but nowhere near the chest rattling barrage it once was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom