News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Clamman73

I guess the only doubt is if this thing is scheduled for a 2021 opening, why are they starting now? Does it really take 3 plus years for this to build from start to finish? And please correct me if I am incorrect, I am by no means an engineer/imagineer or in construction in any shape or form.
They had walls up last fall for the Margarita Hut at Mexico pavilion that they're opening today.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

I guess the only doubt is if this thing is scheduled for a 2021 opening, why are they starting now? Does it really take 3 plus years for this to build from start to finish? And please correct me if I am incorrect, I am by no means an engineer/imagineer or in construction in any shape or form.
They started construction on M&M in august, expected in 2019, so a 2ish year build. But, they already had the building, which probably cut down on construction time. Tron is a big guy, with the sci-fi covering, the showbuilding, and of course the track itself. They already built one in Shanghai, but that doesn't mean much in terms of architectural and structural work needed to be done to fit in florida. I can kinda see the 2021 deadline if we look at it that way.

azox

They started construction on M&M in august, expected in 2019, so a 2ish year build. But, they already had the building, which probably cut down on construction time. Tron is a big guy, with the sci-fi covering, the showbuilding, and of course the track itself. They already built one in Shanghai, but that doesn't mean much in terms of architectural and structural work needed to be done to fit in florida. I can kinda see the 2021 deadline if we look at it that way.

Do we know how long it too to build in Shanghai? I have not been able to find that info yet.

Hopefully they can start work on the other side of the tracks for a while without shutting down the WDW Railroad for a very long period of time. Maybe they will do what they did when splash was under construction and run the WDW RR forwards and backwards to have it at least operational during construction.

lazyboy97o

There is other work that has to occur in the area and then there will have to be site prep. Vertical construction is still a ways off.

Cmdr_Crimson

Do we know how long it too to build in Shanghai? I have not been able to find that info yet.

Hopefully they can start work on the other side of the tracks for a while without shutting down the WDW Railroad for a very long period of time. Maybe they will do what they did when splash was under construction and run the WDW RR forwards and backwards to have it at least operational during construction.

The concept art makes it look like it won't affect it too much..But, again from the angle they are showing it I could be wrong..
Tron_Full_30589.jpg

PizzaPlanet

Data points for discussing lengths of builds (the darker blue cells are estimates)...

View attachment 243347

The TRON and GotG dates seem to be geared more for 50th anniversary of MK than for actual build time... but that's just a WAG on my part.
You should add the Margarita stand to this spreadsheet. I'm also anxious to see where Trump's addition to HoP will rank.

wdizneew

The ride itself was amazing. All that I was expecting and even more. The launch is quite forceful and even has a second "kick" near the end. The very vulnerable position amplifies all the forces and to be honest, the short ride length is the most I feel the average Disney guest can tolerate.

I agree with this statement 1000%. The second kick in the launch was a surprise and an OMG moment for me. The ride position does amplify the intensity of the ride, and I also agree that the short ride length is warranted because of the straddling position. If it was like any other sit down coaster, then yes, it's too short.

GlacierGlacier

I was never a fan of coasters, but I do enjoy BTMRR and SM, is Tron something to be avoided?
It looks to be similar in intensity to those two. Quite a lot smoother, and with a different seating (using the bikes instead of regular train cars), but with a LSM launch. It's probably within your intensity range (and mine too).

EOD K9

It looks to be similar in intensity to those two. Quite a lot smoother, and with a different seating (using the bikes instead of regular train cars), but with a LSM launch. It's probably within your intensity range (and mine too).
Thanks, I was a motor officer before moving to K9, so the position doesn't bother me, and being on a bike hunched over with extreme angles is easy as well. Time will tell.

GlacierGlacier

Here's a video if you don't mind being spoiled. Just don't ever get on the yellow track, they explode...

I absolutely love the effect that they used for the orange track. Putting a mirror alongside the track then changing the lights on the side of the train which faces that mirror to make it look like there's two different trains is absolutely amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom