deleted

dreamscometrue

I like the way it turned out. It a cute show and I, surprisingly, am happy with how using ToT worked as a canvas. Also, as others have noted, the lighting between shows is more eerie, and even Halloween has potential for something cool here.

Kman101

I think some people are being a bit over dramatic about Tower of Terror getting projections. It's not the end of the world. If it ruins the theming for you, that's because you're letting it.

It's a cute little offering. Nothing is going to be the same as the Osborne Lights so, frankly, you shouldn't set your expectations that anything holiday related is an "Osborne replacement". The Lights are sadly gone and aren't coming back.

I don't think it's super great but the idea has a lot of potential IMO. I'm sure I'll like it a bit more when I see it in person. Videos won't do projections justice.

I don't see the big deal in using the Prep and Landing characters, why is it surprising they used them again? They're for Christmas and they have a fireworks/projection show on the theater. It ties it together. Very very loosely, but still.

At least they're trying to add some holiday fare to the park. The decorations and tree on Echo Lake, the fireworks show, the Sunset Season Greetings. You don't have to like 'em, but I give them credit for trying. Wish they had improved a bit on Jingle Bell/Jingle Bam though.

ToTBellHop

Sunset Seasons Greetings wasn't awful. If you're going in there with the mindset that this is a replacement for TOFSDL, then yes you will be extremely disappointed. It's not mind-blowing or Earth shattering by any means. It's a cute holiday show. That's it. In my opinion, the ToT is a good canvas for the projections. The best viewing areas I feel are near Fairfax Fare and Hollywood Scoops. From RNRC courtyard you don't get a great view.

My biggest issue with it was the juxtaposition between the "cute and happy" projections and music and the screams as the doors opened on the ToT. As mentioned by another poster, this makes it lose it's effect. Also, I can see how going down Sunset Blvd is going to become an utter disaster once the holiday season really ramps up and people stop to watch the show. Last and certainly not least are the dessert offerings. Skip them. That is all.
They would have been wise to simultaneously market a “Nightmare before Christmas” special version of ToT—no Jack Skellington, just a play on words with more drops and elevator doors that never open, leaving guests in pitch darkness at night.

Kman101

Watching the video I could see the doors open. I guess if you aren't looking for it it's not a big deal, but I can see how jarring it might be to hear screams as you finish up a warm holiday vignette.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
They would have been wise to simultaneously market a “Nightmare before Christmas” special version of ToT—no Jack Skellington, just a play on words with more drops and elevator doors that never open, leaving guests in pitch darkness at night.
I agree. From a theme perspective, that would have worked better. A scary holiday overlay would work very well. I feel though that Disney never wants to push the envelope with anything "scary" although in this case it would have been perfect.

brb1006

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This new holiday offering was described by the creative director as "something that will blow people's minds." The Studios had arguably one of the world's most impressive holiday displays, so the fact that the director described this newest addition in such a way is what really "blows my mind." That's a tall order to fill. You use that lingo for Galaxy's Edge but not for wrapping paper overlays.
If you want a better projection show at WDW. Stick to the Tree Of Life at night.

brb1006

Especially with how impressive DCA has improved with their Halloween offerings as of 2017. Disneyland and DCA both use Nightmare Before Christmas.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, one has to tamper their expectations. It's not a projection show like at the castle or Chinese Theater, it's more like the vignettes at the Tree of Life... you catch them as you happen on by. They're both not meant to plant yourself there for 40 minutes to catch all four vignettes... though you could, but, it's not the intent.

TROR

Maybe I'm just a sucker for simplicity, but I'd rather there not be any show whatsoever. Decorate the hotel with, possibly dying, garland and trees and you've got all you need for the Hollywood Tower Hotel. A projection show is nothing but flashing lights and it offers nothing interesting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe I'm just a sucker for simplicity, but I'd rather there not be any show whatsoever. Decorate the hotel with, possibly dying, garland and trees and you've got all you need for the Hollywood Tower Hotel. A projection show is nothing but flashing lights and it offers nothing interesting.

Don't look up.

c-one

Gonna be a jerk and comment having only seen on videos, but apart from the theme disaster, this is kind of an example of when you're doing projection mapping without really mapping the projection to the contours of the surface, it loses a lot of luster. Hard to make out details of some of those projections when they're fighting with the details of the building for space. (Compared with Tree of Life, when projections and surface are more strongly in alignment.)

Anyway between that, and the theme weirdness, and the general lack of subtlety behind the whole idea, really not into this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
wow... the sunset blvd part looks like a complete bore. Using projection mapping to just use something as a backdrop SUCKS. This looks like something cute they could have done mixed into something else... but as a whole 10+min show on its own? snooooore

flynnibus

Premium Member
Certainly seems like a lot more fireworks in the show than last year.

I wonder if the show producers feel as uninterested as I do when trying to watch these kinds of shows.

I loved the big castle fireworks shows... and even the first two castle projection shows.. but these 'multi-media shows' they do now I can't even watch all the way through sitting here in the comfort of my chair. They just don't seem to have any hooks at all for me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think projections offer a lot in the theme park industry, there just being used wrong in this situation. It would of been actually a lot nicer if they just used projection mapping on the buildings on Sunset blvd and added a few more lights, would of been a downgraded Osborne Lights.

The main street projections they did in Disneyland were just as uninteresting... for the same reasons. Projections are amazing for pulling off the 'impossible' and great for the oo ahh effects. But if you just want to show us lighting and movies... complete bore.

It's like watching someone read the phonebook... instead of a moving dramatic musical performance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom