Time for the war to begin.

Darth Figment

I really don't care what universal does, I've been there 2 times , and been to disney too many times to count since my 1st trip in the 80's . I will probably never go back to universal.

bhg469

I really don't care what universal does, I've been there 2 times , and been to disney too many times to count since my 1st trip in the 80's . I will probably never go back to universal.
This is silly. Theyve done more for the theme park industry in the past decade than Disney has done in 20 years and according to some insiders, they're far from done. I guess you don't enjoy nice things.

bhg469

Adding Harry, increased Uni's gate clicks, but, did almost nothing to Disney's. In fact I think I remember someone on the boards saying that it actually increased Disney's census. Just saying. Give the public more choices and more will show up. Build it and they will come!
When you have two really good options and only a week to do them? Someone's going to lose guests, its inevitable.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
When you have two really good options and only a week to do them? Someone's going to lose guests, its inevitable.

We used to spend 4 days at Disney, then 1.5 days at Uni. We now just use the full day at Uni as a resort/Disney Springs day. Uni has become a separate trip, especially now that Volcano Bay has opened.

bhg469

We used to spend 4 days at Disney, then 1.5 days at Uni. We now just use the full day at Uni as a resort/Disney Springs day. Uni has become a separate trip, especially now that Volcano Bay has opened.

And your story seems fairly common. I work a huge event every year and there is a woman I chat with about trips to FL and when I came back from my first trip to Universal in a long time, I told her she needed to go. She didnt take my advice and only went to Disney world for 4 more years. She finally went last spring and was the first thing she told me when i saw her. Admitting that the pixi dust is not the only option is the first step.

Aside from star wars, there is nothing groundbreaking on the horizon. It seems like the Universal 3rd dry gate :) is happening, only a matter of time. I would say that an additional theme park would be quite the draw in a few years when Disney can finally handle the surge of star wars guests. I have no doubt that Disney World and Disney Land will have huge bumps but how many of those people will walk away with a good experience? They're going too be shoulder to shoulder people for at least a year.

Goofyernmost

That is true, but, adding a fifth gate will only create the balance toward Disney for a short period of time. Uni will still be offering a good product that people will want to see. As far as Uni showing that they can also offer top quality attractions by Harry Potter so that ship has sailed no matter how much or how many days they add, Uni will still be considered a place to visit. Perhaps not a central hub for the visit, Disney will remain that for a long time, but, it will take away from Disney to more or less the same degree it does already.

bhg469

That is true, but, adding a fifth gate will only create the balance toward Disney for a short period of time. Uni will still be offering a good product that people will want to see. As far as Uni showing that they can also offer top quality attractions by Harry Potter so that ship has sailed no matter how much or how many days they add, Uni will still be considered a place to visit. Perhaps not a central hub for the visit, Disney will remain that for a long time, but, it will take away from Disney to more or less the same degree it does already.
Disney should not even be considering a 5th gate when so much improvement is needed for epcot and while all 4 parks can really be expanded a bit more. Universal is in the position to open another park, and that park may be something incredible and I tend to trust the opinion of our insiders. And it is silly to think that Universal cant take away more guests with a huge addition especially if its a property that is loved all over the world. Nintendo for example is beloved by people my age, who now have young families and expose their kids to mario and zelda. Mario is probably just as beloved world wide as Mickey Mouse, and possibly more.. Again, those 1-2 days, will absolutely turn into 2-3 soon. One more day and that vacation shifts to a majority spent at Universal. Yes, there are a lot more Disney visitors like the one above who will never go to universal and that is a lot of guests but I tend to think that is an older generation who honestly can have the Disney parks all to themselves if the future stays the way it is looking.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Remember that the value resorts of WDW buys you into all the perks of staying at any Disney Resort, even the deluxe level.

Once you go to Uni's value resorts (Cabana Bay and, presumably, these lower ones), you don't get all the perks of staying at a Uni Resort. You then have to buy into their express pass if you want it, which their deluxe level resorts get 'for free.' That's a $89 per person per day extra charge if you're at Cabana Bay.

bhg469

Remember that the value resorts of WDW buys you into all the perks of staying at any Disney Resort, even the deluxe level.

Once you go to Uni's value resorts (Cabana Bay and, presumably, these lower ones), you don't get all the perks of staying at a Uni Resort. You then have to buy into their express pass if you want it, which their deluxe level resorts get 'for free.' That's a $89 per person per day extra charge if you're at Cabana Bay.
I have never missed express pass. Its not something that I feel like I need to buy because the lines arent terrible. I do wish Disney would charge for fast pass though.. Far too many people use it and if gives the company an excuse to slack on queues. I am floored that flight of passage was as good as it is.

seascape

Original Poster
Disney has the money to upgrade all 4 of it's current gates and build a 5th. They even have enough to but the Fox Studios and other assets which could make the 5th hate a very interesting one aimed teenaged and up while still having the younger and senior and adult audience.

bhg469

Disney has the money to upgrade all 4 of it's current gates and build a 5th. They even have enough to but the Fox Studios and other assets which could make the 5th hate a very interesting one aimed teenaged and up while still having the younger and senior and adult audience.
Of course they have the money but they won't... They shouldn't build a 5th gate until there is a real need, and there isn't one.

Touchdown

Well I just scored a week at Royal Pacific Resort for an average of $183 a night, the week before Christmas. Think I could get a Disney Deluxe for that price?

My WDW AP expires today, this year I bought a Universal AP. In the past, when I had a Universal AP I felt the need to go to BGT and Sea World for two days as I ran out of things to do, with Volcano Bay this is no longer the case. I do plan on going to MVMCP one night and a day at Sea World to see their Christmas stuff, but on my trip later this winter I may just stay at Universal the whole week. I love WDW, but at the prices they currently charge I can’t justify going every year. The earliest I’ll visit WDW after this Dec will be in late 2019.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom