News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

DisneyDodo

Depends how you define 'trick'. The show itself makes the distinction that they're not going to have the birds to 'unnatural' behavior like riding a tiny bicycle. So, none of those 'tricks.' But they do perform their natural behaviors at a learned cue... which can be called a trick if that's how you define trick.

Natural tricks: yes.

Unnatural tricks: no.

Now, if I give you all a grape, will you stop arguing?
I don’t really see the distinction here. Birds don’t naturally answer questions in the wild. They have to be trained to do so the same way they would have to be trained to ride a bicycle.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t really see the distinction here. Birds don’t naturally answer questions in the wild. They have to be trained to do so the same way they would have to be trained to ride a bicycle.

Well, now we have to define 'answer questions.' The birds aren't answering questions like humans do in conversations, although there are some parrots who, after a lifetime of training, seem to be able to give basic contextually correct answers, like gorillas who were taught sign language.

The birds with mimicry abilities learn to mimic all sorts of things, especially other bird and animal noises. If they're around humans, they mimic humans' speech, songs, and music. They're just being prompted with a reward to vocalize something they've heard. Just like the other birds are prompted to fly from here to there.

I suppose it would have been better for a show that presents the birds' natural behaviors to have a mimic show-off mimicking other birds.

This is different from say, training a bird to peck at certain keys on a musical keyboard to play at song. That would be an unnatural trick. But mimicking humans and anything else in their environment is a natural ability of mimic birds.

The payoff is at 1:45 to the end...

Scar

Why, just the other day I was taking a walk through the woods and heard several birds serenade me with "How Much is that Doggie in the Window". Very natural behavior for them. ;)

jakeman

Why, just the other day I was taking a walk through the woods and heard several birds serenade me with "How Much is that Doggie in the Window". Very natural behavior for them. ;)
This is on the internet so it must be true.

Thank you for settling this! :D

Figment82

Remember also that the talking/mimic segment is used as a lesson to the audience that birds are difficult pets and you shouldn't keep them as pets.

Ha, my husband always throws me a look during that part (we have a parrot at home). I’m so glad they have that message in there though. People see a parrot doing something cute and go out and buy one without realizing how much of a handful they can be. They are not for decoration.

Also, I would be completely gutted if they closed this show. It’s always been my favorite thing in the park - even if the jokes stay the same. :D

Sonconato

Well, now we have to define 'answer questions.' The birds aren't answering questions like humans do in conversations, although there are some parrots who, after a lifetime of training, seem to be able to give basic contextually correct answers, like gorillas who were taught sign language.

The birds with mimicry abilities learn to mimic all sorts of things, especially other bird and animal noises. If they're around humans, they mimic humans' speech, songs, and music. They're just being prompted with a reward to vocalize something they've heard. Just like the other birds are prompted to fly from here to there.

I suppose it would have been better for a show that presents the birds' natural behaviors to have a mimic show-off mimicking other birds.

This is different from say, training a bird to peck at certain keys on a musical keyboard to play at song. That would be an unnatural trick. But mimicking humans and anything else in their environment is a natural ability of mimic birds.

The payoff is at 1:45 to the end...

Thank you for posting this. The car alarm was totally worth it.

anchorman314

I think you must've been mistaken. The only song that birds can serenade you with is "The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room".

neoshinok

It seems like every time I see it there is a tour guide who interrupts. Very frustrating.

:) I think I've seen the same cast member playing the Tour Guide every time I've seen the show for YEARS. Although last time I went they did the entire show without the tour guide, with the host changing lines so he didn't need to converse with anyone. I'd never seen that before.

I'll also be very sad if this show ends without a comparable replacement.

Disney-Trains

Do you mean the "Joe" that used to be Roman Holiday at DHS streetmosphere? He's great.

Im hoping if they do a new show for the 20th, it will still feature the same type of birds and behaviors, it really is one of the better shows at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom