Can we talk about comfortable shoes?

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So.....a week from tonight, I will be on my last WDW night after a Monday arrival.........grrr

ANNNNNNNNNNNNYWAY, does anyone have any suggestions on comfortable walking shoes?

In the past, I've done Sketchers GoWalk, but after many years, I must get a divorce. They are like the shoe that I married many times but they just keep slapping me in the face. They are always cheaply made and start falling apart soon after a trip.

I'm not looking at Crocs or sandals, but other than that, if anyone has a brand that is a good walking shoe that lasts longer than a few weeks, that would be great to hear about.

Thanks!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
New Balance. Got a pair of walking shoes in their Cush line. Light weight, but very comfortable and as the name implies, cushy. NB shoes tend to run narrow, so I always take a wide width and go up half a size.

Have worn them at both WDW and Uni with no issues. Got them on Amazon for $50.

NelleBelle

Brooks Ghost or Glycerin 7. They're a neutral running shoe (meaning they are compatible with custom orthotics and are a "correcting" gait shoe). They both are very "cushioned" and one has a wider toe box. I am extremely prone to blisters all over my feet--bottoms, back of heels, toes, etc because I'm diabetic and have neuropathy and can't feel my feet. I've run several marathons and walked all over WDW in them and have never had a problem. If you can find a Brooks outlet, you'll save a ton of $$!

Figgy1

Premium Member
My dh likes NB and I go for Reebok trail runners. As you may have gathered I do lots of walking so take it for what it's worth but mine are both comfy and seem to hold up better than most "walking" shoes. JMHO Good luck

Schneewittchen

I have high arches, so I need a lot of softness in the soles. I've been wearing Asics Cumulus Gel sneakers for close to 15 years. They are my Disney and weekend run-about shoes. I just get a new pair every year. Keeps the dogs from barking.

yensid67

Before my trips I buy new sneakers and sandals. I usually buy the no name brand for some reason I find they are more comfortable! Go to Walmart or Kmart(they need your business right now-LOL) and get a pair or two of sneakers for $10-$20...sometimes at Kmart you get bogo sales which is a great deal...you might be able to get sneakers AND sandals for one low price! If you go to Walmart, I would buy AND 1 slip on sneakers...they too, are comfortable and easy to put on if you're like me and are getting a little tummy!

epcotisbest

Over the years I have tried many different brands and styles and wound up liking NB 608 shoes the best. They fit me well, offer good support, last a very long time, and most importantly for me, remain comfortable throughout the day. Now, I do add a gel insole to the shoes, and that really adds to the comfort level. I wear them all the time, not just to walk in.
Right now I have a just about worn out pair I do yard work in, a less worn pair I wear everyday, an almost new pair for when I go somewhere that I need cleaner, nicer looking shoes, and a new in the box pair in the closet for when it is time to replace an older pair. I really wish they made a dress shoe as well. Never found a really comfortable dress shoe.

Kevin_W

While I'm a fan of Brooks Ghost as well, go to a good running store. They can watch you walk and find good walking shoes (or cross trainers) that are good for *you.*.

That's a good point. I've heard it said about ski boots and runnign shoes: you want the brand where the president of the company has the same shaped foot that you do.

I wear Vasque hiking shoes in the park (and pretty much anywhere else I walk.hike). Combined with some smartwool socks, they are great.

FigmentFreak

I found taking 2 or more pairs of sneakers and do a rotation to make sure I'm not wearing the same shoes 2 days in a row. Even if they're the same brand each pair wears just a little different on my feet and I find I don't have foot issues. When I would only take one pair there would always be that one place that would hurt after about the 2nd or 3rd day.

NelleBelle

Excellent point about switching shoes! If I were to wear sandals one day, I am a huge fan of Danskos for my high arches and back issues (I love Danskos for work as well which I wear all day). I also would wear my Disney Vans (not sure why these were comfy but they were). Definitely go to a running shoe store that will allow you to return your shoe even after you've worn them a bit, especially if you're going to drop some coin--you don't want to be stuck with shoes that don't work for you! These stores might be hard to find but worth it to return if you have an issue!

Schneewittchen

Blister proof socks - and NOT cotton ones. I wear Feetures when I run and wear their lighter weight socks to walk around the parks in.
I have never heard of blister proof socks. What are they made of if not cotton or wool? Do they stink like polyester socks?

OMG. I never get my kids poly-blend socks. The reek is unbearable. We tend to go with plain old Hanes cotton socks...... The more bleach-able, the better.

Weather_Lady

I like Skechers and Nike - but I don't recommend walking shoes of any kind (particularly as they often have those cheap, slippery foam soles - that white material that looks like dried marshmallow). I buy running shoes instead - with good, grippy solid rubber soles and more cushioning than you typically find in walking shoes or cross-trainers. Running shoes also tend to "breathe" better, with built-in mesh panels. I've worn running sneakers to Disney on every single trip (with inexpensive Hanes moisture-wicking socks), pounding the pavement for miles every day, and I've never gotten a single blister at WDW! I do change into Teva hiking sandals for the evening, which also helps prevent any "pressure points" from developing, but those are literally the only two pairs of footwear I wear/bring to Disney.

Last edited:

scarr13311

I have never heard of blister proof socks. What are they made of if not cotton or wool? Do they stink like polyester socks?

OMG. I never get my kids poly-blend socks. The reek is unbearable. We tend to go with plain old Hanes cotton socks...... The more bleach-able, the better.

For blisters I use Dr. Scholl Moleskin Patches helps prevent friction and prevent blisters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom