Can we talk about comfortable shoes?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I have never heard of blister proof socks. What are they made of if not cotton or wool? Do they stink like polyester socks?

OMG. I never get my kids poly-blend socks. The reek is unbearable. We tend to go with plain old Hanes cotton socks...... The more bleach-able, the better.

They are a blend. 100% cotton socks retain moisture and thus encourage blisters. My anti-blister socks don't smell. And I wear them daily for running or working out.

LAKid53

Premium Member
For blisters I use Dr. Scholl Moleskin Patches helps prevent friction and prevent blisters.

I've never had luck with moleskin - still got blisters using them during half marathons.

Sparkle Skirts sent me a sample of an anti-blister spray called Skin Slick that I tried..and love. Better than Body Glide.

Schneewittchen

I buy Asics Kayano for stability very comfortable and lightweight. I always bring two pairs of gym shoes to switch off.
That's what I do too. Last year, I was switching between a pair of Asics Cumulus and a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence runners, but this year I might just switch between this year's Cumulus and last year's Cumulus.

Or.... I use my trip in 3 weeks as an excuse to buy a new pair. ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Over the years I have tried many different brands and styles and wound up liking NB 608 shoes the best. They fit me well, offer good support, last a very long time, and most importantly for me, remain comfortable throughout the day. Now, I do add a gel insole to the shoes, and that really adds to the comfort level. I wear them all the time, not just to walk in.
Right now I have a just about worn out pair I do yard work in, a less worn pair I wear everyday, an almost new pair for when I go somewhere that I need cleaner, nicer looking shoes, and a new in the box pair in the closet for when it is time to replace an older pair. I really wish they made a dress shoe as well. Never found a really comfortable dress shoe.

If you could see the boxes of unworn running shoes in my closet.... Not because I don't like them, but because once I find a brand/style I like, I purchase several more pairs to have in stock when my current ones need to be replaced at 500 miles.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So, @BuddyThomas, you've gotten great advice on shoes, socks and anti-blister prevention, lol.

One other hint. Once you've gone to your local running store (not referring to big box sports stores, like Dick's, but stores run by runners) to get your feet properly measured and your gait evaluated, go on Amazon and purchase whatever shoe the store staff recommended. You'll save $20-$30 a pair.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's what I do too. Last year, I was switching between a pair of Asics Cumulus and a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence runners, but this year I might just switch between this year's Cumulus and last year's Cumulus.

Or.... I use my trip in 3 weeks as an excuse to buy a new pair. ;)

I probably have a total of 10 pairs of Cumulus, Numbus and Gel 360s. The ones that have seen better days for running become yard shoes...

Clamman73

This year I have the Saucony Hurricane ISO 3 and Skechers GoWalk 3 that I'll go back and forth wearing. Had the Aspics Gel Trainers for about three years and those I liked a lot...was trying the new version of them on at the running store but they had some crazy red color which I didn't like, so went with the Saucony which have the cloud-like walking feeling and are good for my overpronation.
I probably tried about 5 different brands/models and it's obvious right away which fits and which ones don't.

Jedi Stitch

I just go to REI and either get a new pair of my favorite hikers, or I get a fresh set of Superfeat inserts. I find that sometime your regular walking shows a re fine, but a fresh orthotic insert will go a long way.

scarr13311

I like Skecher and Nike - but I don't recommend walking shoes of any kind (particularly as they often have those slippery foam soles). I buy running shoes instead - with good, grippy solid rubber soles and more cushioning than you typically find in walking shoes or cross-trainers. Running shoes also tend to "breathe" better. I've worn running sneakers to Disney on every single trip (with inexpensive Hanes moisture-wicking socks), pounding the pavement for miles every day, with nary a blister. I do change into Teva hiking sandals for the evening, which also helps.

Me too the Asic Kayano I buy are running shoes and I get a arch support insert for extra support, I have flat feet.

MickeyMomV

I buy Asics Kayano for stability very comfortable and lightweight. I always bring two pairs of gym shoes to switch off.
I have the Kayano's and my DH has the Kinsei's and we both love them. The Kayano is a comfort stability and the Kinsei is a comfort. Great Shoes. Asics also makes some good moisture wicking socks that work really well in the Florida heat.

NelleBelle

Since it's super super important that I avoid blisters at costs, if my shoes get wet on a water ride (which I absolutely hate), I always bring a back up pair that we keep the lockers in the front of the park or if DH is carrying a backpack, I change into Teva-like sandals that are ok to get wet and dry quickly. But walking around in wet shoes and socks is bound to give you blisters, regardless of your shoes (running shoes).

DfromATX

I have never heard of blister proof socks. What are they made of if not cotton or wool? Do they stink like polyester socks?

OMG. I never get my kids poly-blend socks. The reek is unbearable. We tend to go with plain old Hanes cotton socks...... The more bleach-able, the better.

Interesting... I've noticed foot odor with my sons too and I just assumed it was because, well, how do I say this nicely about my own children... stinky boys who have been outside all day and probably got their feet wet. :oops:

NelleBelle

Interesting... I've noticed foot odor with my sons too and I just assumed it was because, well, how do I say this nicely about my own children... stinky boys who have been outside all day and probably got their feet wet. :oops:
LOL--I have one kid like that (although I can't blame the socks). I recently heard that the makers of PooPouri make ShoePouri that you can put in shoes to keep them from smelling--will be giving that a try!!

DfromATX

LOL--I have one kid like that (although I can't blame the socks). I recently heard that the makers of PooPouri make ShoePouri that you can put in shoes to keep them from smelling--will be giving that a try!!

That's too funny, I'll have to keep an eye out for that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom