Disney filed new patent- Track-based Swing Ride with Long Arm Pendulum

AEfx

I looked through the threads that have been started here over the years about new ride system patents and I have yet to find one that became reality.

To be fair, I believe the current thread only goes back like five years - which is about how long it takes to build something, even after we know about it coming. I'm pretty sure we saw patent filings for things like SDMT, for example.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To be fair, I believe the current thread only goes back like five years - which is about how long it takes to build something, even after we know about it coming. I'm pretty sure we saw patent filings for things like SDMT, for example.

I have found threads older then 5 years that still haven't been used in a ride.

Rob562

4- the proposed patent does not show a separate loading for disabled guests. This will really limit capacity in California and Florida.

The particular image of the track layout seems cropped slightly. If you look in the right-hand corners there are switches before and after the Load/Unload platform that lead off the edge of the pic. That would most likely be handicap load/unload. (Which means that do get to the regular load/unload would require guests to ho down and back up, rather than the usual up-over-and-down.

-Rob

lazyboy97o

The particular image of the track layout seems cropped slightly. If you look in the right-hand corners there are switches before and after the Load/Unload platform that lead off the edge of the pic. That would most likely be handicap load/unload. (Which means that do get to the regular load/unload would require guests to ho down and back up, rather than the usual up-over-and-down.

-Rob
That space is labeled “MAINTENANCE BAY A” but a patent application is not a building permit application. There is no need to show or even yet know any of that sort of detail unless it is important to what is being patented. There is little reason to assume the ride layout is anything more than a diagram for the purpose of illustrating the patent.

DisneyFan18

That quote attributed to Martin earlier in this thread is not him. The screen name said Marni71, and his is Marni1971. Also, it wouldn't allow linking back to the original post. I think it was edited to make it look like Martin posted it.
I know, I read the thread, but if you read Martin’s answer he said “This system so far as I know is not for a jungle book ride”, therefore he must know of a plan/ride that involves this patent. Otherwise, he would have stated that a simple no or that there aren’t any plans :)

Brad Bishop

The problem with this sort of thing is that you can tilt the track to get the same effect (nullify the pendulum swing - it's not really needed). See 7DMT.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Long swing-arm rides will be getting extra scrutiny after what happened at the Ohio State Fair. Here's hoping they engineer in some extra corrosion control and access to inspect the interior of those arms...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Huge difference between Disney, a billion dollar theme park, and a traveling half assed built state fair ride.
Really?
cfc5f9447f6d4bd82a4be92164b58598.jpg

Brad Bishop

Huge difference between Disney, a billion dollar theme park, and a traveling half assed built state fair ride.

Pay no attention to the issue with Disneyland and Space Mountain running it until it failed in the early 2000s.

With the state fair (the ride was Fireball), the corrosion was hidden inside a chamber that couldn't be seen in day-to-day operations or even inspection (it was inspected by state officials just days before).

Disney knew Space Mountain was iffy but rolled the dice each day to save on maintenance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom