(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

RSoxNo1

There is substance and depth in Rivers of Light. The problem was they got too ambitious with the tech and overstretched the capabilities of their control systems and were forced to reshuffle the show's structure and scale things back to get something functional. Mix that with a symbolism-heavy story delivered primarily in visuals and pantomime and you got something that goes over the heads of the average "Battletank Stroller Pusher" guest.
Pantomime on a boat that's 100 feet away from 5000 guests does not work. It took 3+ years to develop and there isn't a single moment that approaches excitement. A ride on Spider-Man has more pyro, the mist screens aren't enough to sell the show, and the floats don't develop any emotional attachment. You're allowed to like it, but the masses don't. I'd much rather watch Flights of Wonder than this.

I will say though, the music is very good, but if it also goes away when the show is redone I won't sleep over it.

tirian

In today's recent episode of @lentesta's of Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill titled "Stories We'll Tell in 2018" for Walt Disney World . Jim brought up that Rivers Of Life will run until 2020 at Animal Kingdom. What's also brought up is that a new show featuring Disney characters is set to debut in 2021 in time for Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary. Not that much is know about this show so far.

It's also reported that Rivers Of Light is doing poorly with preschool aged children which is the key demographic for the company.

I didn’t read everyone’s comments, but I can tell you this. ROL is the only Disney show in which everyone around me asked, “Is that it?” after the finale. I wasn’t impressed, my group wasn’t impressed, the strangers sitting behind me weren’t impressed, the elderly couple sitting in front me wasn’t impressed.

Nobody asked, “Where are the characters?” I think guests realize this isn’t a character-driven show.

But people expect some sort of plot, or at least a logical flow, to Disney's nighttime shows. We don’t need a narrative; ROE and the special fireworks shows work well without linear plots. We do expect a structure. ROL has no discernible structure and no emotional connection other than a choir’s shouting that WE ARE ONE.

Some people may love it. I don’t.

tirian

I think John gets too much credit. The real genius behind pre-buyout Pixar was Joe Ranft and while the rest of the story trust old guard kept making great work, John's just been playing with his Hot Wheels and looking over Disney Feature Animation's shoulder.
You’re right.

jaxonp

I know that this probably isn't the thing some people want to hear, but as the show has made tweaks and become more reliable, its GSATs have been going up, and funnily enough, above most of the shows at Studios.

Why is that surprising? What shows at studios besides the Star Wars projection show is interesting? Everything else is tired and way past its use by date.

FigmentJedi

But people expect some sort of plot, or at least a logical flow, to Disney's nighttime shows. We don’t need a narrative; ROE and the special fireworks shows work well without linear plots. We do expect a structure. ROL has no discernible structure and no emotional connection other than a choir’s shouting that WE ARE ONE.
But ROE is a linear narrative: It's the story of the Earth itself, from its formation to the arrival of humanity and some message about how we should try and get along on this globe we all share.

Rivers of Light's a mystic journey through the natural world and the cosmos guided by shamans calling on a band of nature spirits in the form of the animals and lotuses.The gradual introduction of those elements in the first half got pushed aside slightly because of the technical issues that lead to the show's restructuring requiring the lotuses to take part from the start, but there's still a structure one can definitely follow if they pay attention. And like the rest of Animal Kingdom, there's things in there you won't notice upon your first viewing that you'll pick up on in subsequent viewings.

I was able to watch ROL for the first time this past Friday night. First time I have ever witnessed people getting up to leave during a show. And it wasn't people who were leaving for the restroom or because they had small children. It was entire families getting up and leaving. I was unimpressed, it was quite boring actually. There was nothing new about this show.

AEfx

Rivers of Light's a mystic journey through the natural world and the cosmos guided by shamans calling on a band of nature spirits in the form of the animals and lotuses.The gradual introduction of those elements in the first half got pushed aside slightly because of the technical issues that lead to the show's restructuring requiring the lotuses to take part from the start, but there's still a structure one can definitely follow if they pay attention.

Oh, now it makes sense! If those dang lotuses just made their entrance earlier, it would totally change the entire experience!

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know that this probably isn't the thing some people want to hear, but as the show has made tweaks and become more reliable, its GSATs have been going up, and funnily enough, above most of the shows at Studios.

Well, that I can see.

Fantasmic! has a huge buzz-kill in the middle in the form of "And now... colonialists for no reason whatsoever!"

The DHS hub shows are crippled by:
  • the poor surface of the Chinese theater (too small, low, and dark),
  • the palm trees in the way,
  • the stage in the way (though, that should hopefully be fixed soon),
  • the trees at the back of the hub and buildings (esp. Bill & Min) blocking the view from further away,
  • the generally smaller venue for people to pack themselves in,
  • no seating
  • reduced fireworks from the original SW show, and then reduced again due to brush fires

I like RoL for what it is, but I also agree it could be a whole lot better with little tweaks
  • have the shaman boats crisscross immediately in front of the audience so that they can be actually seen
  • use the projectors in the lotus more often (a great effect that makes up for the background screen faltering)
And with a major one:
  • Build ruins into the lake that hide elevated water sprays that fill in the gaps and aren't ruined by a small breeze.

I don't think I'd ever voluntarily see RoL without a FP or dining package to guarantee a seat... nor if there weren't seats at all. But guarantee me a seat, and I'll happily enjoy the glow of RoL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom