News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

MerlinTheGoat

Yet, everyone knows Maleficent, Prince Phillip, Fauna, Flora and Merryweather

Brave is 5 years old and nobody remembers the characters anymore.
That's kind of what "being forgotten" means
This. And to add to that, there was a legitimate reason people don't always remember her name is Aurora. I love the movie and find it very memorable, but I sometimes forgot her real birth name as a kid. Throughout most of the movie she is called Rose (Briar Rose in the Grimm Brothers story) to hide her identity.

Of all the Pixar movies i've seen (seen all besides Dory, Cars 3 and the Good Dinosaur), Brave is the most bland, boring and forgettable. It is my pick for the worst they've ever made. Even Cars 2 was more entertaining (I at least remember everything from that one). I had high hopes for it and Merida, but such a disappointment. I also thought it was considered a minor flop when released, so I don't know why Disney has pushed it so hard.

That said, the movie still has potential to make for a good ride if handled correctly. I don't give them the benefit of the doubt to put the necessary effort into it, but it doesn't HAVE to be bad just because the movie isn't good.

MerlinTheGoat

Uh-huh. Do you have a SOURCE for that bold claim? Because I see people all the time confusing Phillip with Prince Charming.
A lot of the classic Prince characters are referred to by people as "Prince Charming". It's sort of a pop culture reference at this point for that sort of character-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charming

It also isn't just Prince Phillip that is called that. The prince from Snow White (who wasn't even given a name) has been referred to as Charming. I've even heard people call Prince Eric by that name. If Hans had been the stereotypical prince character, we'd also probably have seen people refer to him as Charming too.

Phillip is one of the more memorable prince characters from classic films, and he actively does something besides just serving as someone for the girl to swoon over. So i'd say it's entirely fair people are more inclined to remember him and his name.

MerlinTheGoat

A minor flop that won the Academy Award for Best Animated film and boosted tourism to Scotland enough that the Scottish Tourism Board approached Disney to be a sponsor for the Food & Wine Festival.
I was referring to finances. When the movie came out, I remember seeing articles that stated the movie was a box office disappointment. I don't really care about finances, I just heard it didn't do very well and was surprised to see they still pushed it.

Oscars definitely aren't always an indicator of a movie's quality. Wreck-It-Ralph and ParaNorman were both immensely better movies IMO (I haven't seen Frankenweenie or the other nominee).

I do think Merida herself is highly marketable however, same with the setting of the movie and some of the basic themes. Just not the other characters in the film. I was looking forward to the movie, but was disappointed with the plot and the character she ended up being written as.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

Yet, everyone knows Maleficent, Prince Phillip, Fauna, Flora and Merryweather

Uh-huh. Do you have a SOURCE for that bold claim?

LOL are you serious?

Maleficent is arguably the most popular Disney villain of all time.
The cake-baking and dress-making scene of the 3 fairies is one of the most beloved scenes in classic Disney
Prince Phillip is the childhood crush of many different generations of kids.
And the movie itself is to this day often considered to have the most beautiful art direction in any Disney animation

But sure, you can keep arguing that Brave is popular because of that episode of Sofia the First

britain

I’d be sad if they pass over a rich history of English lit characters that are ALSO Disney IP, for a character invented in California.

But I guess that’s what’s already happening in the other World Showcase attractions so, par for the course I guess.

Matt_Black

The cake-baking and dress-making scene of the 3 fairies is one of the most beloved scenes in classic Disney

It's a cute scene, but let's not oversell it. It doesn't show up in Disney montages the way that other scenes do. The opening to the Lion King, the ballroom dance from Beauty & The Beast, the dress transformation in Cinderella, Sorcerer Mickey, the spaghetti scene from Lady & The Tramp, etc.

And, remember, Sleeping Beauty wasn't all that popular when it first came out, either. It took years of theatrical re-releases, home video, and TV broadcasts to win over people.

mikejs78

Premium Member
LOL are you serious?

Maleficent is arguably the most popular Disney villain of all time.
Prince Phillip is the childhood crush of many different generations of kids.
And the movie itself is to this day often considered to have the most beautiful art direction in any Disney animation

But sure, you can keep arguing that Brave is popular because of that episode of Sofia the First

I think you're conflating your own love for the movie with what the general public feels. Sleeping Beauty, while a classic, was actually a box office bomb at the time. In fact when Disney was first releasing movies on home video, it was determined that Sleeping Beauty would be the one to release because it wasn't a success and it wasn't 'one of the classics'. (There was fear that releasing them on VHS would dilute Disney's ability to rerelease them in theaters every seven years). It was only with home video that Sleeping Beauty was recognized for the classic it is. But as far as recognition, I feel it's characters (aside from Maleficent) are hardly known in pop culture.

Matt_Black

I think you're conflating your own love for the movie with what the general public feels. Sleeping Beauty, while a classic, was actually a box office bomb at the time. In fact when Disney was first releasing movies on home video, it was determined that Sleeping Beauty would be the one to release because it wasn't a success and it wasn't 'one of the classics'. (There was fear that releasing them on VHS would dilute Disney's ability to rerelease them in theaters every seven years). It was only with home video that Sleeping Beauty was recognized for the classic it is. But as far as recognition, I feel it's characters (aside from Maleficent) are hardly known in pop culture.

In fact, Sleeping Beauty triggered many lay-offs in the animation department, and you can see this in the later films, as they don't look as sharp. Compare Sleeping Beauty's backgrounds with 101 Dalmatians, for instance. It was also never re-released in theaters in Walt's lifetime.

We get it, some people don't like Brave. But let's not pretend for a moment that it's Black Cauldron levels of failure.

RSoxNo1

Mary Poppins has already been discounted by multiple insiders, No toad either

Mary Poppins, it’s safe because it has a classic movie but also forward looking with new films slated to be released. It makes too much sense for them to use this IP.

If you look back in this thread, @marni1971 indicated that Mary Poppins was an option, but at the time of specific posts he didn't think it was the lead option. @WDW1974 said no Mary Poppins. Jim Hill on the other hand made a single suggestion and that was that the attraction WOULD be based on Mary Poppins.

Here are the relevant posts from my rumor tracker:

August 17, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the attraction being added to the United Kingdom Pavilion would be a ride.

July 26, 2017: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that no Mary Poppins is currently in development for Walt Disney World.

July 20, 2017: On the latest episode of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill and Len Testa discussed that the new ride coming to the United Kingdom Pavilion is expected to be a carousel themed around Mary Poppins. The ride is unlikely to be announced before Mary Poppins Returns debuts in theaters in Christmas 2018.

April 17, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that one theme being considered for the UK Pavilion addition is Mary Poppins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom