A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

UpAllNight

You're all so over dramatic.

I don't think I've seen a new born child without some form of Mickey Mouse related attire. Kids are still brought up on classic timeless Disney films, and Disney very well knows, and plays on nostalgia instilled through great childhood memories. If you think that's ever changing, or will change, you aren't giving credit to one of the most successful companies that has ever existed.

the.dreamfinder

I'm not even sure I understand this statement. Disney, over its history, has basically defined general entertainment. That's basically been their shtick with films and the theme parks of being wholesome family entertainment that can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone.
Like a generic conglomerate like General Motors or General Electric or Mondelez or Unilever.

the.dreamfinder

I don't think I've seen a new born child without some form of Mickey Mouse related attire. Kids are still brought up on classic timeless Disney films, and Disney very well knows, and plays on nostalgia instilled through great childhood memories. If you think that's ever changing, or will change, you aren't giving credit to one of the most successful companies that has ever existed.
When's the last time you've heard someone say "that's a Kodak moment"? Something can be deeply resonant for generations of people until it isn't.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

When's the last time you've heard someone say "that's a Kodak moment"? Someone can be deeply resonant for generations of people until it isn't.
Didn't they just announce a big new Mickey Mouse ride based on the new Mickey (and Minnie, and Donald, and Daisy, and Goofy...) cartoons they're making which are getting millions of hits on YouTube?

I don't see any indication that Disney or anyone else has forgotten about Mickey and all the classic characters, not that they are turning "Disney" into their young girls brand. If anything, they're bringing all the new properties under the Disney brand through the Disney-branded stores, theme parks, etc.

the.dreamfinder

Didn't they just announce a big new Mickey Mouse ride based on the new Mickey (and Minnie, and Donald, and Daisy, and Goofy...) cartoons they're making which are getting millions of hits on YouTube?
Remember how big the Looney Toons used to be? The fab five are less important to the company now than at any point in company history, but they aren't going away overnight. Disney sits on generations of goodwill. The actions taken under the Iger years will diminish the long term relevance of Disney and its most famous characters.

Felix the Cat was the most famous cartoon character in the world, until a mouse named Mickey showed up.

the.dreamfinder

I went by Steamboat Willie as the date that "Disney" became a thing.

But, since we have just 10 years to go for Disney to be a centennial company, are you really on board with your claim that Disney will not endure 100 years?
Disney hasn't gotten this close by buying every worthwhile IP it doesn't own. Disney used to create the future. Buying IP won't insure its success for another hundred years.

FWIW, GM declared its bankruptcy in its 100th year.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I went by Steamboat Willie as the date that "Disney" became a thing.

But, since we have just 10 years to go for Disney to be a centennial company, are you really on board with your claim that Disney will not endure 100 years?

If Disney keeps backing losing horses no they will not make 100 years. Especially since its apparent that disney does not understand at all the digital age

doctornick

Yeah, they did it the old fashioned way: they appropriated as many public domain IPs as possible without paying a dime for 'em!! (Pooh and Poppins excepted.)

:)

I think what's interesting is that Disney the company is basically doing the same thing with Marvel: They are taking established stories and characters and creating films based on them while modifying the stories for modern sensibilities and wide audience access.

People will chime in with the obvious difference of "buying" the IP versus simply using public domain or licensing IP, but I'm talking more in terms of the creative process of adaptation not the acquisition.

fgmnt

You're not necessarily wrong, but it's important to understand the difference between the work that Eisner and previous leadership did to The Walt Disney Company and what Iger has done to DIS. All of the mergers and acquisitions made over the last decade are not necessarily bad moves for Disney, but actions surrounding these acquisitions, along with other moves the company has made, are examples of inorganic growth.

The Walt Disney Company effectively makes a stable profit off of the back of the intellectual property it owns, but that property came from well-executed creative vision. Sure, you can point to early Walt Disney Productions movies being retelling of old stories, but that was not the whole of the business, and there is no more obvious organic growth than the creation of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. It's important to point to the implosion of the Disney decade, the whirly merge with ABC, and the falling out with Pixar as obvious negatives to the Eisner tenure, but the organic growth already described can't be taken away, especially considering how much work was done to turn P&R into even more of a cash cow. GF, BW... these massive, beautiful resorts that still make the company ridiculous sums of money.

So, that really just leads me to ask, where are we seeing domestic organic growth at DIS under Iger? What are employees of the company able to create with him at the helm? You can only "synergize" for so long before you start to divide by zero. This stunting of organic growth underscores the one thing that can kill this company outside of global thermonuclear war: an virulent, institutional rot that won't fully reveal itself until it's far too late.

Nj4mwc

The one thing that stands out in the top picture to me is the guy in a wife beater holding a baby. LOL. Class and style baby, why does Disney even try?

That guys walks into any other high end hotel in the world other then Disney and he would be lucky that security wasn't having a talk with him. LOL.
How dare he wear a tank top in Florida, and have a baby what kind of monster is this man, obviously he must be trash and not someone who dressed for the weather. Obviously this man should be in a tuxedo. It's obviously after 5 and he's not a farmer, holy hell if I am paying the money I'll where whatever the hell I want.

How dare he wear a tank top in Florida, and have a baby what kind of monster is this man, obviously he must be trash and not someone who dressed for the weather. Obviously this man should be in a tuxedo. It's obviously after 5 and he's not a farmer, holy hell if I am paying the money I'll where whatever the hell I want.

wife beaters are tacky, at least wear a normal tank.

Nj4mwc

They need to get Mickey and the bunch a greater YouTube/ online presence. That's what all the kids watch today. If we didn't ban the internet during the school week my 9 & 7 year old would never watch regular tv, it's all challenge videos and crap like that. The connection is being made as toddlers but the new way to deliver media is Severing that bond before it becomes life long

TheGhostWithTheMost

The one thing that stands out in the top picture to me is the guy in a wife beater holding a baby. LOL. Class and style baby, why does Disney even try?

That guys walks into any other high end hotel in the world other then Disney and he would be lucky that security wasn't having a talk with him. LOL.
What an elitist and idiotic comment. Maybe people are allowed to be comfortable without consulting with some child on the internet about what the proper dress code is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom