Trip Report Melting! Wilderness Lodge in August

Hi friends!

We left the World a week ago, and spent a few days in St. Pete before getting back home Wednesday. I brought a nice little head cold back with me, so I've been lazy. I got all my pictures edited, so here we gooooooo!

Cast: Me & R (29 & 28)
Resort: Wilderness Lodge, standard view
Dates: August 9-13
Why?: R had a work trip from the 13-16th so we tacked on a WDW trip!

This trip was the first time we hired someone to come house/dog sit instead of taking Chipper to a family member's house. One of my student photographers stayed with him, and it went well (as far as I know...he is still alive and acting normal, so). This was right before we headed out to the airport.

I'm sure he didn't miss me making him take pictures.

We left the house at about 9:30am to head to Memphis. Our flight got delayed a bit. It was good because it gave us time to stop and get gas before we got to the airport (better than getting it when we're anxious to get home on the way back). We took off at 12:55. I was a little worried about making out Flight of Passage FP that evening, but I had my fingers crossed!

Flight was a little bumpy, but thankfully on time. We had our room text when we landed! Woot!

There was almost NO ONE at the Magical Express line, so I was worried there wouldn't be many busses. It took about 20 minutes to get on one and get going, so that's not terrible.

On our way!

We made it!

It rained all the way there, but it stopped by the time we arrived. We got there at 5:30 and headed to the room.

The room was nice enough. It wasn't spectacular, but we liked it! The best part was that we could see the castle from the balcony!

It's itty bitty in the picture, but it was a nice view! Unfortunately, we never got to watch the fireworks from the room. We almost made it the last night, but the bus was too slow (a theme on this trip).

The balcony was so tiny, and there was some kind of a truck bay outside so it was loud. I didn't spend much time out there because of those things and the heat, but it was still a cool view :)

Up next: Will we make FoP?

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

Ok that's it! Clearly, I was having a ball! I am thrilled with how the photos turned out. That lens is my workhorse at weddings, so I was glad I got to use it at the parks.

Ok so we headed out of the park after the parade. We took the boat back to the lodge, and we just hung out at the resort. R took a nap, and I read some in the room since it was so humid outside on the balcony. I decided to try curling my hair again for dinner, and it fell flat once again by the time I walked outside. Oh well.

Dinner was something I was REALLY looking forward to. OMG guys. We got a little confused about what we should do to get there. We were going to take the Ft. Wilderness bus, but then were afraid it would be awhile before one arrived, so we asked where the pathway was. As we headed down the path to walk, a bus arrived :p Of course we changed course again and hopped on the bus.

Checking in for Hoop-Dee-Doo!

Wearing my "Wild" shirt with a line drawing of Big Thunder on it. I knew I had too many shirts to wear them all in the park, so I wore this one to dinner instead.

Hair that was curly less than an hour ago :rolleyes:

We wandered over to the store. I really like that shop! They have a ton of great stuff in there. When we got back over to the entrance, we did the photo pass thing. It turned out WAY cuter than I thought it would as they were posing us.

We had like 10-15 minutes still and it was HOT, so we went back to the store. haha

Found the much-loved Entenmann's! Had to get a picture for you guys that love these things. I tried them at home once and they were super yummy!

We headed back and saw a huge line to get in. I didn't realize people would line up, so we'd just been walking around. Oh well, we figured it wouldn't matter too much. We hopped in the back of the line and eventually got in and sat down. Oh boy!

The cornbread was delicious! I feel like I can speak to the food quality as a born and bred southerner :hilarious: It was basically every family dinner I've ever had. Lots of meat and starch!

I ate lots of salad. I am once of those weird people who actually craves salad.

Soon the performers came out and started their bit. I didn't take many pictures, but let me tell y'all. This is a MUST. DO. I know a lot of you all have done it because I've read about it on here a lot. It was just phenomenal. R was crying he was laughing so hard. It was just such a wonderful night!

Every single performer was SPOT ON. They played their characters so well, and I was thoroughly impressed.

This is Herb. We saw him again later in the trip, I can't remember where

Yummy yummy shortcake!! Honestly the ribs were the standout item for me, but this strawberry shortcake was close.

After the show, we made our way outside fat and happy.

Unfortunately it was raining o_O We didn't let that dampen our spirits though! We had some WDW Magic friends to meet!

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I loved your parade pictures. The ones of the dragon were magnificent! We really enjoyed the Hoop-dee-doo too, I would like to do it again. I think I can convince my hubs, all I will have to say is "buckets of ribs and chicken!"

MotherofaPrincessLover

We went to Hoop last trip and I thought my husband would absolutely hate it and it ended up being his favorite thing about the trip. I booked it for our upcoming trip as a surprise, I told him it wasn't going to work with our schedule (which isn't a full out lie, it wasn't going to work but then I convinced him we should add another day on to our trip). I'm excited to see his face when we go. Hopefully my 21 month son won't be too terrible during dinner...

WildcatDen

I have no idea on how I am going to afford this (or convince my wife and girls) but I think I have come to the conclusion that I need you and @fractal to capture our next trip to WDW. Now, this trip may not happen until the 50th or the following year so there is plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements. I may need you to share a room (2 beds of course) and I may be able to spring for a backpack full of peanut butter crackers for rations, but I need to make this happen. Both yours and Fractal's pictures are AMAZING and as I told him on his trip report, they bring back all the good memories and stoke the fires for a return. As we get closer to a possible date, I will contact you both to discuss arrangements. . .

fractal

I have no idea on how I am going to afford this (or convince my wife and girls) but I think I have come to the conclusion that I need you and @fractal to capture our next trip to WDW. Now, this trip may not happen until the 50th or the following year so there is plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements. I may need you to share a room (2 beds of course) and I may be able to spring for a backpack full of peanut butter crackers for rations, but I need to make this happen. Both yours and Fractal's pictures are AMAZING and as I told him on his trip report, they bring back all the good memories and stoke the fires for a return. As we get closer to a possible date, I will contact you both to discuss arrangements. . .

I'm in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom