Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

RMichael21

Universal certainly did a wonderful job hiding Diagon Alley, so I can only hope SWL will be the same.

I actually had a friend who had a work function at the Royal Pacific Convention Center and did an in-park scavenger hunt. They weren't required to go into Diagon Alley for it, but even if they had wanted to check Potter out, they would have missed it. They passed right by the entire thing because they had no idea where it was. Then when we went together to the park and he saw it for the first time (he hadn't seen pictures online) he marveled at how much was actually behind that wall of buildings.

I have a feeling the transition will work nicely for DHS and really allow Chapek to continue to use that one word he always likes to use. (<cough> immersion <cough>).

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, August 3. Part of the refurbished façade of the old Writer's Stop has been revealed (on the right). There appear to be attachment points in the brick for a future sign.

IMG_9910.JPG

Last edited:

Jones14

I'll wait for it to finish before having a full moan but I hope (although doubt) that they theme the plain wall behind and above the new facade.
I feel like this would actually be a decent spot for a billboard (on top of the tap house roof). It's cheap, allows them to advertise, fits thematically, and would cover up that blank wall. Hell, they could do an ad for Muppetvision since the two areas are meant to be linked now.

Herbie

I feel like this would actually be a decent spot for a billboard (on top of the tap house roof). It's cheap, allows them to advertise, fits thematically, and would cover up that blank wall. Hell, they could do an ad for Muppetvision since the two areas are meant to be linked now.

They should move the Miss Piggy billboard since you can't see it in its current position.

Last edited:

roj2323

Photo update as of Thursday, August 3. Part of the refurbished façade of the old Writer's Stop has been revealed (on the right). There appear to be attachment points in the brick for a future sign.

View attachment 220465
This was obviously designed by someone who hasn't studied architectural history. There's no way that corner of the building wouldn't have been built with a window in it. The architectural style is pre electricity and as a result natural light was extremely important. End rant.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The gates, according the photos are closer to the Star Tours shop, unless there's going to be another set of openings midway through the wall were the two low pillars are. Going by the other photos posted, here's my mock-up...

View attachment 223155

The other possibility is that there will be an entrance from the middle of Grand Ave into Muppets, the current entrance will be blocked off, and the gates will become the new backstage gate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok well it took an hour but here's the latest: View attachment 223340

The question mark area appears as if it will be on stage but I have no clue as to it's eventual use. It's honestly a really odd spot to leave open with a clear shot to the backside of The Great movie Ride soundstage.

That makes sense except for one thing: The gates going to the backstage road are massive for a simple gated entrance to back stage. Most back stage gates at DHS aren't even truly gated, just two overlapping walls (as witnessed the number of guests that went back stage thinking they were heading for Gonzo's restrooms).

Perhaps there is a plan for some show to pop out of those gates?

The question mark is just an area that leads to back stage (toward the soon-to-be-closed Pixar Lane) and the service walkway cutting through TSL along the SWL berm. It is a large enough area, though, to have a lot of queued switchbacking.

YodaMan

That makes sense except for one thing: The gates going to the backstage road are massive for a simple gated entrance to back stage. Most back stage gates at DHS aren't even truly gated, just two overlapping walls (as witnessed the number of guests that went back stage thinking they were heading for Gonzo's restrooms).

The question mark is just an area that leads to back stage (toward the soon-to-be-closed Pixar Lane) and the service walkway cutting through TSL along the SWL berm. It is a large enough area, though, to have a lot of queued switchbacking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mobile stages that were supposed to be at Center Stage ages ago but can't fit through the gate by Star Tours might be part of the reason.

roj2323

I wouldn't be surprised if the mobile stages that were supposed to be at Center Stage ages ago but can't fit through the gate by Star Tours might be part of the reason.
I have a feeling there's more to it than that. Unfortunately I have no idea what that might be. For all we know it could end up with a food truck and seating or they could throw in a giant Christmas tree. It would also be a good spot for a spinner but I doubt they'ed put one there due to theming issues.

NiarrNDisney

I have a feeling there's more to it than that. Unfortunately I have no idea what that might be. For all we know it could end up with a food truck and seating or they could throw in a giant Christmas tree. It would also be a good spot for a spinner but I doubt they'ed put one there due to theming issues.

Or bring back one of the grand Parades DHS/MGM used to be known for!

roj2323

Or bring back one of the grand Parades DHS/MGM used to be known for!
There is no way in which that is even possible in that area. The parades use the star tours gate which is well away from SOA. Also I doubt they would even concider live entertainment of any kind anywhere along this street for the first several years starwarsland is open simply because of the crowds. Speaking of which, it's very likely that this area will initially be used for a switchback cue going into starwarsland.

NiarrNDisney

There is no way in which that is even possible in that area. The parades use the star tours gate which is well away from SOA. Also I doubt they would even concider live entertainment of any kind anywhere along this street for the first several years starwarsland is open simply because of the crowds. Speaking of which, it's very likely that this area will initially be used for a switchback cue going into starwarsland.
Pipe dream! Though I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker running around Muppets Courtyard

wdrive

Won't they be replacing the Muppet gates which are used as an access road and have a CM gate right next to them? Obviously the actual gates won't be used for cast members going on and off stage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom