News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

mm121

I guess it's necessary,but horribly, horribly ugly.
shouldnt look too bad once complete, and should be way more functional than it currently is

the current design never really worked well for the magic kingdom area resorts and definitely wasnt designed for there to be traffic entering property from the north

that road use to be blocked by security making entrance from the north unavailable, but ever since its been an open road it hasnt worked well

rob0519

shouldnt look too bad once complete, and should be way more functional than it currently is

the current design never really worked well for the magic kingdom area resorts and definitely wasnt designed for there to be traffic entering property from the north

that road use to be blocked by security making entrance from the north unavailable, but ever since its been an open road it hasnt worked well

Have spent more than 20 visits at the CR, Polynesian and GF. Always rent a car and have never had problems with traffic. Not sure about traffic from other directions. It's only my opinion,but once you start putting overpasses up, functionality or not, it will look more like a regular business or freeway intersection than the most famous resort on the planet. Progress marches on as always though.

mm121

Have spent more than 20 visits at the CR, Polynesian and GF. Always rent a car and have never had problems with traffic. Not sure about traffic from other directions. It's only my opinion,but once you start putting overpasses up, functionality or not, it will look more like a regular business or freeway intersection than the most famous resort on the planet. Progress marches on as always though.
agreed it would be nice if they'd theme the new roadways

could make it look like the cars are driving through a castle wall or something

it could be awesome, but i doubt they'll spend the money to make it awesome

JoeCamel

agreed it would be nice if they'd theme the new roadways

could make it look like the cars are driving through a castle wall or something

it could be awesome, but i doubt they'll spend the money to make it awesome
Or they could make it like this well used tunnel.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, August 11. For some time now, these concrete partitions for earth fill have been put in place around the future World Drive overpass. This photo taken just past the Magic Kingdom parking kiosk en route to the parking lots.

IMG_9942.JPG

halltd

Photo update as of Friday, August 11. For some time now, these concrete partitions for earth fill have been put in place around the future World Drive overpass. This photo taken just past the Magic Kingdom parking kiosk en route to the parking lots.

View attachment 221968
I read that as "future world" overpass and was like, uh....there's a new road going over Epcot? :)

Disone

Interesting stuff. That said I hope they don't limit the Magic Kingdom parking lot traffic flow like they have with Epcot. Prior to the Reconstruction Epcot parking lot used to flow out onto three lanes that would continue under overpass road and over Buena Vista drive and then split to go either straight or east and west on I-4. Now those three lanes get limited down to two before reopening a third exit only lane to overpass road. From overpass Road it continues with only two lanes and creates a huge bottleneck before opening back up to five Lanes as it approaches I-4. On epcot's heavier traffic days this is a bottleneck. A bottleneck that did not exist prior to this "Improvement". I guess in fixing the way traffic exits Disney Springs they broke the way traffic exits Epcot.

halltd

Interesting stuff. That said I hope they don't limit the Magic Kingdom parking lot traffic flow like they have with Epcot. Prior to the Reconstruction Epcot parking lot used to flow out onto three lanes that would go over one of us to drive and then split to go either straight or east and west on I-4. Now those three lanes get limited down to two before reopening a third exit only lane to overpass road. From overpass Road it continues with only two lanes and creates a huge bottleneck before opening back up to five Lanes as it approaches I-4. On epcot's heavier traffic days this is a bottleneck. A bottleneck that did not exist prior to this "Improvement". I guess and fixing the way traffic exits Disney Springs they broke the way traffic exits Epcot.
I agree what’s there sucks. But it appears to not be permanent either. Not sure why it’s taking so long to finish up the final bits on that intersection, but I’m hoping those three lanes come back.

Brad Bishop

The MK parking lot works so well. I've never been leaving the MK and stuck in traffic. The only wonkiness there was the World Drive / drive through the toll booth to get to your hotel / drive all the way around the parking lot to head back out deal which they're finally fixing.

Epcot's French Curve design makes no sense to me. I know it was somewhat evolutionary in that it started off just connecting to World Drive but you end up going over/under everything to exit along with circling this way or that. I get that the toll booth is kind of close to World Drive but, man, you'd have thought that they could have come up with something better. It's like they looked at the MK parking intersection situation and thought, "I bet we can do worse!"

I think that they did the same thing with DHS. "Epcot's approach / interchange is bad.. How can we make this one worse?"...and they did.

I think that they got DAK's parking lot / interchange right, though. One thing that could be improved upon there is the "prison yard experience"-bus approach. They could fix that by just separating the bus lane from the employee entrance with some tall shrubs.

montyz81

This is actually the development of a new attraction called the Concrete Jungle Trek but with a Handy Mandy IP overlay. I heard parts of the script in development where one of the actors was caught saying ".....look everyone, it's the back side of dirt..."
Sorry, just trying to poke a little fun, but after all this is just road construction. I can go out to I93 from the Mass state boarder to Manchester NH and take the same exact picture.

ABQ

Is there a traffic light at that new intersection or just a stop sign? Just curious. Will buses use that road as well or do they have a dedicated route all their own?

peter11435

Is there a traffic light at that new intersection or just a stop sign? Just curious. Will buses use that road as well or do they have a dedicated route all their own?
I'm not sure how it will work tomorrow but it's all temporary because eventually that ramp will only be used for accessing vista drive eastbound towards fort wilderness. MK resort traffic will use the new flyover.

ABQ

I'm not sure how it will work tomorrow but it's all temporary because eventually that ramp will only be used for accessing vista drive eastbound towards fort wilderness. MK resort traffic will use the new flyover.
Thanks, only curious as I'll be there in a month, interesting to see how it works.

RHCP Mickey

Driving through the Magic Kingdom awning onto World Dr. was such a bizarre design quirk. Living in Winter Garden, I've gone through the gate more times than I can count, and I always give it a few seconds of thought. I'm sure there was a reason for it at some point, but it's such an avoidable situation that I'm surprised it lasted so long. I'll miss it but my wife will probably be relieved that I can't say "isn't this so weird that we have to drive through the gate to get home?" every single time we return from MK :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom