WHERE Can We Do This Again? PTN taking a trip...

TP2000

The only time The Black Cauldron got any representation at a Disney Park was at the former Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour in Tokyo Disneyland.
latest

I did that tour about 15 years ago. It was all in Japanese and the guide was extremely passionate about the subject material. I had no idea what was happening, but it was hysterical and I thought I was going to wet my pants.

Ismael Flores

Treasure Planet but that's not saying much. Lol
Between Atlantis and treasure planet I actually enjoyed Treasure planet. I think it was better than most people give it credit. I found it to be a solid action animated movie that had a cool twist to a familiar storyline.
I had been looking forward to Atlantis and also enjoyed it but it felt like the second and third act was rushed. The style of animation was also something that I had to get used to after a few minutes

Californian Elitist

We have 3/5 of the same ones. Though with Snow White, I'm wondering how much I'm influenced by how revolutionary the film was.

Goofy movie I don't think is one of the official animated movies or however they categorize them. So if we re not confined to that list Roger Rabbit would have to be in my Top 5

Yeah it's interesting how our taste changes as we age. My Top 5 would have looked very different 15-20 years ago.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Cinderella on any other list.

Are you talking about the live action Peter Pan that came out recently?

I agree about Snow White. Another reason I enjoy it so much is because of how dark it is. As you can probably tell, I like dark stories.

The main reason I enjoy Goofy Movie is because of Powerline, who's my idol. I remember being a kid and being mesmerized by his character haha. Still love him to this day.

Cinderella is my mom's favorite. I absolutely love that movie as well. I love them all, for the most part. There aren't too many that I dislike. Can't say the same for the live-action films. The older ones were great and fun, but Disney's been sorely lacking in that department.

The most recent adaptation was Pan. I thought it was okay. I'm referencing to the 2003 film Universal made. I think it serves great justice to the book. Peter Pan has a lot of adult themes, ones young children just wouldn't understand and I believe the 2003 film tackled them in a way I've never seen before. Hook comes a little close.

PiratesMansion

My Top 5:
-Pinocchio
-Beauty and the Beast
-Sleeping Beauty
-Aladdin
-Lion King

If we're including non-animated films, Mary Poppins is absolutely on this list.
Emperor's New Groove is not objectively one of Disney's best films, but it is one of the movies I watch and enjoy the most.
Rescuers Down Under and Lady and the Tramp are severely underrated.

mickEblu

Between Atlantis and treasure planet I actually enjoyed Treasure planet. I think it was better than most people give it credit. I found it to be a solid action animated movie that had a cool twist to a familiar storyline.
I had been looking forward to Atlantis and also enjoyed it but it felt like the second and third act was rushed. The style of animation was also something that I had to get used to after a few minutes

Yeah I thought Treasure Planet was OK. I think Musker and Clements worked on that one which is probably why it's better than most of the other ones from that era. I hate the animation style in Atlantis and pretty much everything else about it. I stopped watching half way. It might be my least favorite Disney animated film.

mickEblu

My Top 5:
-Pinocchio
-Beauty and the Beast
-Sleeping Beauty
-Aladdin
-Lion King

If we're including non-animated films, Mary Poppins is absolutely on this list.
Emperor's New Groove is not objectively one of Disney's best films, but it is one of the movies I watch and enjoy the most.
Rescuers Down Under and Lady and the Tramp are severely underrated.

I agree with you on Lady and the Tramp. Some of these (mostly non classics) I watched for the first time as an adult and I was surprised how much I enjoyed Lady & the Tramp. It has some of the most beautiful backgrounds and they look great in widescreen, which I believe was a first for Disney. It also just captures a time gone by/ never was beautifully. Rescuers Down Under is great and I also like it more than the original.

mickEblu

I agree about Snow White. Another reason I enjoy it so much is because of how dark it is. As you can probably tell, I like dark stories.

The main reason I enjoy Goofy Movie is because of Powerline, who's my idol. I remember being a kid and being mesmerized by his character haha. Still love him to this day.

Cinderella is my mom's favorite. I absolutely love that movie as well. I love them all, for the most part. There aren't too many that I dislike. Can't say the same for the live-action films. The older ones were great and fun, but Disney's been sorely lacking in that department.

The most recent adaptation was Pan. I thought it was okay. I'm referencing to the 2003 film Universal made. I think it serves great justice to the book. Peter Pan has a lot of adult themes, ones young children just wouldn't understand and I believe the 2003 film tackled them in a way I've never seen before. Hook comes a little close.

Haha yes I can tell. So do I... Return to Oz and don't get me started on the horror movies I wa watching as a 2nd grader in the 80s.

I gotta check that Pan movie out.

I like many of them but I have found many of them that I waited to watch as an adult (most of the non classics that didn't appeal to me as a kid) to be lackluster. Most of the stuff from the early 2000s and from the 60s through 80s is kind of boring to me with the exception of Dalmatians, jungle book, Roger Rabbit and Mermaid.

I loved Goofy movie when I was a kid. I probably haven't seen it in 20 years.

TP2000

As long as we're talking about Parade Floats That Never Were...

I've always thought it would be hilarious to have a float dedicated to the 1970's live action films that nearly destroyed the company. Just a montage float of Herbie Goes Bananas, the Apple Dumpling Gang, and maybe The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. That type of stuff. I would pay good money to see who Disneyland's entertainment department finds to portray the late-middle aged Chloris Leachman and Harvey Korman on the float, waving at bewildered tourists and me. The Paint The Night format would make it even better.

Herbie_goes_bananas_poster.jpg

BrianLo

You would swear by Disney marketing that they never made a movie beyond The Lion King until Frozen showed up.

Why isn't Don Knotts a Disney Legend? Instead Stan Lee is.

Tangled actually gets reasonably good representation, I'd say. From parks, to t-shirts to stickers - I usually see Rupunzel make an appearance. Tarzan and Mulan have been softly represented... but Tarzan misses the Princess line and Mulan is a bit token inclusion.

Phroobar

Tangled actually gets reasonably good representation, I'd say. From parks, to t-shirts to stickers - I usually see Rupunzel make an appearance. Tarzan and Mulan have been softly represented... but Tarzan misses the Princess line and Mulan is a bit token inclusion.
There are 20 movies that came after the Lion King and before Frozen and another three after Frozen that Walt Disney Animation Studios created. Outside of Tangled and maybe Mulan none of them were as heavily marketed as TLM, BATB,Aladdin & Lion King continue to be. Heck, Mulan is not even a princess.

mickEblu

There are 20 movies that came after the Lion King and before Frozen and another three after Frozen that Walt Disney Animation Studios created. Outside of Tangled and maybe Mulan none of them were as heavily marketed as TLM, BATB,Aladdin & Lion King continue to be. Heck, Mulan is not even a princess.

But there's a reason they were are marketed that way right? The movies you mention are the creme de la creme. Sure there are a few that maybe deserved some more marketing like Tangled and Big Hero Six. Not all of the successful IPs lend themselves well to the parks though, especially the castle parks.

Ismael Flores

As long as we're talking about Parade Floats That Never Were...

I've always thought it would be hilarious to have a float dedicated to the 1970's live action films that nearly destroyed the company. Just a montage float of Herbie Goes Bananas, the Apple Dumpling Gang, and maybe The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. That type of stuff. I would pay good money to see who Disneyland's entertainment department finds to portray the late-middle aged Chloris Leachman and Harvey Korman on the float, waving at bewildered tourists and me. The Paint The Night format would make it even better.

Herbie_goes_bananas_poster.jpg

They had Herbie for many years in the parades. It was so cool to watch. He would be driving along mainstreet and then come up to another character from the movies open his hood and swallow him

BrianLo

Hence the concept of the golden age, renaissance and whatever we are in now. Most of those movies just were not well received. The marketing push for Pocahontas outstripped Lion King and then it simply fell flat on its face. The lull between Jungle Book in 67 -> Mermaid in 89 was just the same, Disney basically ignores the majority of those movies for good reason.

One other one I forgot that really should be added to the marketing love affair is Stitch, sort of the equivalent to Pooh in a sense, which also randomly came out in the middle of the lull.

Even if marketing doesn't love them, the 19 years between Lion King and Frozen certainly had some worthy content. Hercules, Mulan, PaTF and Tarzan were certainly all at least 'good'. I'm somewhat partial to Emperor's New Groove, but that's a very ignored movie.

Reviews seem to match marketing pretty closely, except for Emperor's New Groove: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/best_disney_animated_movies/#

Curious Constance

Hence the concept of the golden age, renaissance and whatever we are in now. Most of those movies just were not well received. The marketing push for Pocahontas outstripped Lion King and then it simply fell flat on its face. The lull between Jungle Book in 67 -> Mermaid in 89 was just the same, Disney basically ignores the majority of those movies for good reason.

One other one I forgot that really should be added to the marketing love affair is Stitch, sort of the equivalent to Pooh in a sense, which also randomly came out in the middle of the lull.

Even if marketing doesn't love them, the 19 years between Lion King and Frozen certainly had some worthy content. Hercules, Mulan, PaTF and Tarzan were certainly all at least 'good'. I'm somewhat partial to Emperor's New Groove, but that's a very ignored movie.

Reviews seem to match marketing pretty closely, except for Emperor's New Groove: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/best_disney_animated_movies/#

I think Stitch sells a boat load of merchandise, so they milk him for all he's worth.

Phroobar

Emperor's new groove is one of my favorite Disney movies. Its up there with Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero Six. It's highly underrated. Heck I even enjoyed Atlantis and Stitch. Don't get me started of the destroyed genus that is the Black Cauldron. I wish we could see it before Katsinburg butchered it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom