News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I'm incredibly surprised to see them close another attraction in what is such a desolate place. I expected it to last at least until Toy Story Land opened.

For all of the talk on here of Hollywood Studios being a barren park, you'd never know it if you asked guests. On the way in, it's all smiles and excitement for Star Wars. On the way out, it's feeling a bit cheated. "I remember more rides at this park." "Let's skip this one next time." etc. Amazing what a little marketing can do.

Kman101

I like the Indy show as is, it's been popular so long for a reason, but I'd love for them to at least do away with the "directing" bit and make it more of a regular stunt show, instead of showing you how things are done. But I can also understand them thinking "why spend the money to change it when guests still eat it up and it fills up with crowds". But I think they'd have to be eyeing something there. I'd prefer not to lose the Indy presence. Why they can't just make us all happy and put a flume/water ride featuring Indy ....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm incredibly surprised to see them close another attraction in what is such a desolate place. I expected it to last at least until Toy Story Land opened.

For all of the talk on here of Hollywood Studios being a barren park, you'd never know it if you asked guests. On the way in, it's all smiles and excitement for Star Wars. On the way out, it's feeling a bit cheated. "I remember more rides at this park." "Let's skip this one next time." etc. Amazing what a little marketing can do.

I go into and leave DHS with a smile on my face... and spend a whole day there.

Don't overgeneralize.

Phantom Mickey

So basically, the building will remain a la the potential UoE makeover, but whether or not it still is themed to look like the Chinese Theater is up for debate. Did I catch that correctly?
-------------
Wow, this park has lost so much....
IF an attraction comes to replace this one, considering that the whole movie theme is down the drain, all new attractions will come with new facades and new theming, and I am thinking cartoon, adventure, that kind of thing. The old Hollywood style facades have a date on them, and I don't think its too far away.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
-------------
Wow, this park has lost so much....
IF an attraction comes to replace this one, considering that the whole movie theme is down the drain, all new attractions will come with new facades and new theming, and I am thinking cartoon, adventure, that kind of thing. The old Hollywood style facades have a date on them, and I don't think its too far away.

The theater façade is staying.

Phantom Mickey

Although it's an opening day Disney-MGM ride, it's not a classic of the same caliber as Pirates or Haunted Mansion. I don't generally see a problem with GMR getting replaced with an all new dark ride.
-------------
I agree.
Even on its best days, I considered DisneyMGM Studios a half day. When Sony pulled out, it was even less worth the trip. The movie studio theme is dead and the action attractions will take over the park. They really need to try to pull them into the movie theme but I don't think that will work now. It seems they are just trying to find a heartbeat to revive the park again.

Phantom Mickey

Disney, please start renewing/refurbing your other classic attraction like you do with Pirates, HM, Space, BTM,and Splash. Maelstrom just needed an update, not a replacement. I feel the same about the GMR.
-----------------
Welllllllllllllllll, thats what the sponsors are for. Horizons cost 80 million to build, GE pulled out and it was demolished. Does not sound like the best decision to me but Dizzy didn't want to pay for maintenance.
What you say makes more sense than not.
Walt bought all this land to be able to GROW and expand. If TRON actually is built in MAGIC KINGDOM, that is an example of Expanding. Taking down Horizons to build Space, not so much.

Bairstow

-----------------
Welllllllllllllllll, thats what the sponsors are for. Horizons cost 80 million to build, GE pulled out and it was demolished. Does not sound like the best decision to me but Dizzy didn't want to pay for maintenance.
What you say makes more sense than not.
Walt bought all this land to be able to GROW and expand. If TRON actually is built in MAGIC KINGDOM, that is an example of Expanding. Taking down Horizons to build Space, not so much.

Well remember that Hewlett-Packard was picking up a lot of the tab and wanted something new and fancy to champion their brand, not a warmed-over 20-year-old GE leftover. Neither they nor Disney built Mission Space expecting it to be so lame and disappointing, but....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom