News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Mike S

I think people are taking the young Peter Quill picture too seriously. But we'll see what storyline they come up with. People are eating up Rocket calling out Disneyland in MB :rolleyes:
How Mission Breakout turned out actually has me convinced the young Peter Quill story is what they're going to go with. Every Marvel ride Disney has made had something to do with the park it's in storywise.

The nostalgic part of me really doesn't care for this change, but the realistic part of me is kind of relieved they are actually doing something with the building. I used to fall on the side of the original concept of a "world's fair" theme in the park which represented advances in technology and such, but this park is really a banner example of why that is just not going to work in the 2017 United States. The last worlds fair hosted in this country was in 1984 in St. Louis, and was a financial disaster (which was actually quite common including the mythical 64' Expo in NY). To build a permanent park in this model was folly when it was done, but given it was tied to the Disney company it worked (although even though I loved it, I remember this park was not really the most popular place in the world). I'll miss the original concept of the ride and the park as a whole, but I suspect not long after all of this is completed and changed over much of the frustration over it will go away. This is not the first time the company has learned that people do not go on vacation to be educated (Disney Institute)

Wsny11

IMG_0053.JPG
Young Peter Quill knows TRON! There's some cross promotion for ya!

He also knows The Computer That Wore Tennis Shoes since his dad starred in it.

Kman101

How Mission Breakout turned out actually has me convinced the young Peter Quill story is what they're going to go with. Every Marvel ride Disney has made had something to do with the park it's in storywise.

I don't disagree it's why I used the eyeroll about guests eating up Rocket mentioning Disneyland. I still think the Quill photo was taken too seriously but I do fear what they could come up with. I don't love setting these rides IN the park but when guests eat it up in Mission Breakout ...

lazyboy97o

I think people are taking the young Peter Quill picture too seriously. But we'll see what storyline they come up with. People are eating up Rocket calling out Disneyland in MB :rolleyes:
Each Marvel Theme Park Universe attraction is set in the park in which it is located. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! Takes place at Disney California Adventure. Iron Man Experience takes place at Hong Kong Disneyland. That picture isn’t a joke, it is why the Guardians of the Galaxy have come to Epcot.

Kman101

Each Marvel Theme Park Universe attraction is set in the park in which it is located. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! Takes place at Disney California Adventure. Iron Man Experience takes place at Hong Kong Disneyland. That picture isn’t a joke, it is why the Guardians of the Galaxy have come to Epcot.

Um, I'm aware that they're set in the parks they're in. I've said as much :) Thanks though

Obobru

Had it closed yet? Ellen must be relieved what an embrassmemt to be still in an attraction so many years later, ok for voiceovers but not in video form as it dates.

montyz81

You forgot about World of Motion.
I did not. WoM has been refurbished twice since it went dark. Horizon never saw a complete redo.
Even LWTL had a refurb despite the fact that it is probably the next ride closest to it's opening day condition. SSE Is also in a close second. Only Horizons was the same from opening to close.

hpyhnt 1000

She felt the same way.

You know an attraction is overdue for an update when the person who is basically getting free publicity from it wants it gone!

On that matter though, can I just point out how remarkable it is that Ellen's Energy Adventure was able to make it this long? Consider that the main protagonist (Ellen) is still popular today, if not more so than she was; Bill Nye is still a recognized and liked TV personality; Jeopardy is still on air, on ABC, and in the exact same format; AND it's still hosted by Alex Trebek; heck, even Johnny Gilbert is still doing the announcing!

Sure, Jamie Lee Curtis isn't as well known as she used to be (I imagine a lot of people today know her as the Activia lady) but she's a pretty minor role in the attraction. But there's so many other references that could have changed over the years that would have required an update to the ride, yet it hasn't really been needed.

Whoever came up with the concept back in the mid 90s struck gold. I dare say no one back then thought this thing would be able to go ~22 years without any significant changes.

montyz81

Sure, Jamie Lee Curtis isn't as well known as she used to be (I imagine a lot of people today know her as the Activia lady) but she's a pretty minor role in the attraction. But there's so many other references that could have changed over the years that would have required an update to the ride, yet it hasn't really been needed.
You forgot Willard Scott and Kramer(Micheal Richards). Both completely out of the public eye.

Dapper Dan

I did not. WoM has been refurbished twice since it went dark. Horizon never saw a complete redo.
Even LWTL had a refurb despite the fact that it is probably the next ride closest to it's opening day condition. SSE Is also in a close second. Only Horizons was the same from opening to close.
The change from World of Motion to Test Track was a bit more than a refurb. Or do you just mean because the Horizons building was demolished?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

There is an attraction on the spot where WoM used to be. WoM is gone. Long gone. There are several indications of this. One is that after the first "refurbishment" it wasn't renamed "World of Motion: now with none of the whimsical animatronics taking us through a history of transportation, but instead we're crash testing cars and stuff." Test Track is not similar enough to WoM that it has any impact on my recollections of the original.

I am curious to see how this ride comes out. For me, the best part of the GotG franchise is the banter. Most of the banter is hardly theme-park appropriate.

Me too. By the way, you remind me. Busy day yesterday or the day before and I only had time to lurk, but you had a post that was essentially facts and you got jumped on a bit. One thing you said was that "people don't pay attention to longer rides whilst looking at their cell phones"...I know for a fact that in essence you are correct about this. Even before the cell phone era, Disney struggled with the longer dark rides because surveys showed that people felt like they had accomplished more if they had done x shorter things as opposed to y longer things if x > y.

Since I'm rambling, before I go back to work, I would guess that overarching theme as the main priority is never going to return. It seems like the feeling is that if the visual aesthetic works then that can trump any big picture concerns provided new attraction is cool enough. I don't like it, but I suppose I tacitly accept it. For example, I go on Soarin' which if anything, should not be attached to the Land pavilion at all.

Last edited:

MaximumEd

Pandora and Cars Land are supported by an overarching theme, so I don't think they go the whiz bang ride that doesn't fit route every time, but I see your point and agree, especially in the light of GOTG at Epcot and Tron in TL. Not sure those fit at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom